End of the union? (1 Viewer)

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I ran on the basis of Sensible Representation. Unfortunately, while the Union/SRC etc. are great for Main campus students, they screw us over at the Affiliates. My campus puts in over $100000 in student fees, and between the CSA and SECS, we get back maybe 5%.

Even worse is the corrupt nature of the Union/SRC. They'll threaten you, run dirt campaigns, then rig votes so that people who aren't members of the major factions are victimised. Is it no wonder then that Affiliates, and even Main campus students are considering starting their own Union/SRC?

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
nothing's perfect, it just awaits modification...

edit: aprt from it prolly doesn't have a chance any more...

Last edited:

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Yeah, but the fact is that while VSU isn't a desirable outcome, it's one that ultimately the majority of students will support. Biggest problem with the four student organisations at USYD is that none of them actually want to represent students. They want to represent political factions, and want to represent what they believe is best for the students according to their politics.

Example: I don't want my student fees paying for a Women's Officer (especially a little rich bitch like Rose Jackson) who is paid to make life more difficult for male students on campus. I'd much rather a paid Ethnic officer, or a paid Men's officer, but that won't happen while I'm at USYD. Why? Because the four student organisations aren't designed to represent students, they're designed to represent the political beliefs of the serving councillors and directors.

Is it right that we have a paid women's officer on the SRC, yet we don't have an Affiliated Sites officer whatsoever? IF the SRC were serious about student representation, it would be doing a lot more on affiliated sites, at the expense of the utterly useless Women's Office.

Is it right that the Ethnic Officers are always of the SAME ethnicity? The Jewish students on campus are discriminated against by the Ethnic Officers, the very people who are supposed to represent them. The Chinese students (like myself) are ignored, despite the fact that being of an ethnic minority in this country is far more of a liability in the job market than having nice tits.

I also ask, what right does the SRC have to speak on the behalf of its 32000 members, on issues such as the Israel/Palestine conflict, or the Taiwan situation? What about the NUS, speaking on the behalf of its 100000 members, going off to protest at a funeral against police brutality? The SRC gets itself involved in so much shit which it shouldn't be. And they still wonder why there is so much support for VSU.

Then when you try to argue this during elections, they will resort to the most disgusting dirty politics. Threats not just against myself, but against the Sydney Eclectic Composers Society (of whom I'm currently Vice-President), and my colleagues. Even our Union President (Sam Crosby), AND our SRC President (Felix Eldridge) thought it appropriate to abuse me, both speaking in their capacities to "suggest" I drop out of the election and allow Rose to win unopposed, if I know what is good for my society. They, and all the other candidates following their bad example, actually threatened other SECS members who had come all the way from the Conservatorium to put on a concert for you guys on main campus, just because they are members of the same society as me. Then they rig the voting, throw out all the Con ballots, and pretend that none of the Con candidates got in. There were five Con candidates on two tickets, and our preferences all flowed between each other - yet even the highest scoring Con candidate (myself) only managed 25 or so votes after preferences.

I support universal unionism in theory. But in practice, it has been one pathetic experience after another. I Still support Universal Unionism, but I believe that the Con and the Other Affiliated Campuses should secede from the four associations on Main campus and form our own organisation, with student fees flowing right back to where they should be.

www.thequahreport.com
Crude, Carnal and Insensitive, but True.
Especially since Honi or UR won't publish me.

Last edited:

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
sigh, it should be heard by more pplz, but sadly only pplz who come to bos...

if union is really as bad as it is... well i confused...

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Crikey said:
Cross factional relationships are pretty common in student politics. It's not surprising really - you deal with your opponents in a much more direct way than in larger politics and in the flush of youth relationships occasionally blossom, although they usually fade pretty fast as well.

However, there one particularly memorable affair occurred between a young lefty who now seems to have abandoned politics entirely and the president of the Liberal club - last sighted (by Owen anyway) as a staffer to Costello.

The two managed to keep their tryst secret until after it was over, but once it came out, people started to put a few facts together. It seemed that sometimes they had both disappeared in the middle of a student council meeting where they had been arguing fiercely - indeed sometimes quite abusively. During their absences they apparently headed off to quite corners of the campus to consumate their lust, before returning to resume telling each other what complete idiots they were for supporting/opposing some particular motion.
That's hot! One reason to retain compulsory unionism :p

Generator

HSC
N/A
I must admit that there is something about the typically hard-edged Liberal woman...

Collin

HSC
N/A
Everyone who voted for John Howard can go get fucked.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
[rant]i HATE politics.....
the **** politicians ... (content truncated for msg purposes)...

and lastly, princess fiona and shrek finally got married... [/rant]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)