Energy help! (1 Viewer)

ghuy

HSC
Hi everyone!

Please help me with this question!!!

19)
a) Suggest a reason for why the release of carbon dioxide from combustion of hydrocarbons cannot be prevented. 2 marks

and

b) Suggest 3 methods to reduce various pollutants released from hydrocarbons. 3 marks

Thanks in advanced :)

HSC2014

HSC
N/A
I think 19 is questioning the nature of bond formations between C and O itself during combustion. O is rather electronegative compared to any other species in the closed system of combustion (CxHy + O2) and so when C-C / C-H bonds are broken during combustion, the C's pair up with O's to form CO2's. There is no one else but O for C to bond with, hence formation and release of CO2. Then again, unusual question. Idk :(

Edit: And now you make me question why oxygen gas is required for combustion and not some other substance like chlorine gas or fluorine gas :( sadlyf I have chem exam tomorrow. Don't want all these uncertainties to kill my confidence

Last edited:

ghuy

HSC
My exam is tomorrow too. Good luck!

SuchSmallHands

HSC
The production of CO2 can be prevented. Restict the oxygen supply ----> CO + O2. I think what their getting at is just conservation of matter + what HSC2014 said.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, very bad question - I believe you can prevent CO2 if you restrict oxygen enough.

Otherwise, the way I'd answer is that even when oxygen is restricted, some must be present for combustion. There will always be a probability of CO2 forming and this probability is typically large enough to make the formation of CO2 likely enough and therefore, it will be produced.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)