eng question ! (1 Viewer)

johnny1996

HSC
if somebody does extension 2 english , does their advanced english mark really not count towards their ATAR ??? could somebody explain how it works ?

D94

HSC
N/A
It may or may not.

Unlike MX2, EE2 counts for a single unit on top of EE1. So, English (Adv/Std) is 2U, then if you do EE1, that's an extra 1 unit on top of that, and if you do EE2, that's 1 more unit on top of that. That's a combined total of 4 units.

Let's say you do English (Adv), EE1, EE2, Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Economics. So that's a total of 12 units. Let's say English (Adv) is their worst 2 units, then EE1, EE2, Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Economics will count towards their ATAR.

Now let's say Physics is their worst 2 units, then English (Adv), EE1, EE2, Biology, Chemistry and Economics will count towards their ATAR.

Now let's say the student does 10 units: English (Adv), EE1, EE2, Biology, Chemistry and Physics. All these units will count towards their ATAR, as they only have 10 units.

In maths, if you do MX1 and MX2, they count as 2 units each. So, the student doesn't not need to do Maths 2U. It won't ever count if they do MX2.

elissajean

HSC
Uni Grad
As far as I'm aware, the English Advanced units are always counted, even if they're not your best units. They take the units from Advanced before your extra unit from Extension, even if Extension is best. If you want to double check though, the best people to ask would be your teachers (or you could call the Board of Studies).

D94

HSC
N/A
To be eligible for an ATAR you must satisfactorily complete at least 10 units of ATAR courses. These ATAR courses must include at least:

- eight units from Category A courses
- two units of English
- three ATAR courses of two units or greater
- four subjects.
Under "Who is eligible for an ATAR?": http://www.uac.edu.au/undergraduate/faq/atar-basics.shtml

Your teachers are not exactly the most reliable sources. They generally have misconstrued understandings of the HSC and ATAR.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
As far as I'm aware, the English Advanced units are always counted, even if they're not your best units. They take the units from Advanced before your extra unit from Extension, even if Extension is best. If you want to double check though, the best people to ask would be your teachers (or you could call the Board of Studies).
Actually, your best two units of English are counted. Whatever they are. That might be 2 Advanced, or 1 Ext. 1 and 1 Ext. 2 or 1 Advanced and 1 Ext. 2.

But that can be quite confusing, the whole English thing.

Selador

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
(or you could call the Board of Studies).
For the record the Board of Studies has nothing to do with the ATAR. If you have queries about that it's UAC who you should contact.

nifkeh

HSC
Someone asked me this question in a PM, and I didn't know how to respond to this situation.. what units would be counted in this case:

"WAIT!

What if you do 10 Units?

So e.g. 4 unit English

Eco (2 unit)
Business (2 unit)
Legal (2 unit)

So that's 10 units, so they have to make the extra 2 units of English count, no?"

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Someone asked me this question in a PM, and I didn't know how to respond to this situation.. what units would be counted in this case:

"WAIT!

What if you do 10 Units?

So e.g. 4 unit English

Eco (2 unit)
Business (2 unit)
Legal (2 unit)

So that's 10 units, so they have to make the extra 2 units of English count, no?"
10 units=everything counts for ATAR no matter what.

Well unless they are doing 10 units that aren't a right combo to get an atar at all, but that's not applicable in your situation :)

CaffeineMotor

HSC
Can someone correct me here,

Can EE1 by itself replace Advanced if the score is better?

D94

HSC
N/A

"WAIT!

What if you do 10 Units?

So e.g. 4 unit English

Eco (2 unit)
Business (2 unit)
Legal (2 unit)

The subjects that count are: English (Adv/Std) (2 unit), EE1 (1), EE2 (1), Eco (2), Business (2) and Legal (2).

It's not a matter of "have to make", it's that you only have 10 units, so they must all count towards a valid ATAR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)