ENGG1000 for Comp Sci (1 Viewer)

hjed

HSC
Hi

I should be studying computer science at UNSW next year (got the ATAR and its my first preference), and I've been trying to work out a timetable since I am going to be away when offers come out and I'm going to need to get my parents to do it for me.

In the handbook for Comp Sci it recommends doing ENGG1000 in semester one (but its not required), however when I look at the class timetable for 2014 at: http://www.timetable.unsw.edu.au/2014/ENGG1000.html It says ENGG1000 is restricted to students who have it as core in semester 1.
Does that mean that you actually can't do ENGG1000 in Semester 1 if you're doing Comp Sci?

D94

HSC
N/A
Initially, you may be blocked from enrolling into ENGG1000. I think after a certain amount of days/weeks, it will open to all other students. At this stage, it does appear you will have to do it in Semester 2, if you want to do it. But do check it frequently and attempt to enrol into it. I know there are CS students who have been able to enrol into ENGG1000 in Semester 1.

So basically, attempt to enrol into it. If you can't, wait a few days/weeks and then try again.

ismeta

HSC
D94 is right - computer science students can't enrol until after a certain date. So you can do it, if you can manage to get a spot in it.

However - I wouldn't recommend doing ENGG1000. My friends who have done it didn't think highly of the subject, and mentioned that they'd rather have done a different subject instead.

Also woo, hope to see you at UNSW CSE next year :)

hjed

HSC
Thanks for the info!
What would you recommend as a good first semester elective for comp sci if ENGG1000 is full?
ATM I am looking at either INFS1602 (Info Sys in Business) or ARTS1450 (Chinese), as all of the COMP ones seem to have prerequisites.

ismeta

HSC
Hm well if INFS1602 grabs you, then do it. But INFS courses are reputedly very boring and dull, and you'd probably be better off doing a COMP course/something else. You could do another science course, if you like physics you could try that (although it's very different from high school). Some people did FINS courses, but yeah in the end there's no 'good first semester elective' in particular - just pick something that really interests you :) after all, you will have to do it for an entire semester, so you should pick carefully.

Also if you felt game for trying other COMP courses, you could always try getting the prerequisite waived for that course (e.g. I got COMP1927 waived in first sem 2013 and did COMP2121, it was great). Lecturers usually will want some evidence that you'll be able to keep up with the course though.

hjed

HSC
Also if you felt game for trying other COMP courses, you could always try getting the prerequisite waived for that course (e.g. I got COMP1927 waived in first sem 2013 and did COMP2121, it was great). Lecturers usually will want some evidence that you'll be able to keep up with the course though.
That sounds very interesting, what is the process for doing that?
Thanks for the advise.

ismeta

HSC
Oops sorry, didn't see this. You email the lecturer asking them to get a prerequisite waived, and state why you think you'd be able to do it without the prereq. If you get their permission, you then forward this email giving permission to the CSE Student Office (undergrad@cse). When emailing the Student Office to get enrolled in the subject you should also state something along the lines of "I understand that having a prerequisite waiver is not grounds for special consideration" (i.e. you need to acknowledge that in the event that you fail, you can't be specially considered because of not taking the prereqs).

kennyb22

HSC

I made the mistake of doing ENGG1000 in 2nd sem, my group knew nothing and refused to offer any help and it was the biggest pain in the ass to do all the work, write the reports and then show up to the final testing with a POS that barely even functioned.
Imo you should definitely avoid it and just do physics or some interesting or perhaps easier.

INFS1602 as ismeta said is extremely boring, pretty much sums it up completely.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)