Engineering at Macquarie (1 Viewer)

televators

HSC
If macquarie is getting into engineering, they really should look to refine a solid Bachelor of Eng (Electrical) degree. They should, because macq uni is in a great location for that specific industry( as its surrounded by many private elec companies). I know i would have considered staying if they had one.

Macq needs more emphasis on the real sciences (ie physics and math)...less emphasis on the pseudosciences (like psychology, biology)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
lawl, physics and maths are more philosophical at their purest form that 'real science'

televators

HSC
AsyLum said:
lawl, physics and maths are more philosophical at their purest form that 'real science'
...considering that both general relativity and quantum mechanics (probably 2 of man's greatest intellectual achievements) have been rigorously tested with experimental observation to back up the quantitative analysis?

both used alot of pure mathematics.

what about electromagnetism....(it would not be properly understood without a grounding in vector calculus.) I shouldn't need to emphasise the importance of that...you wouldn't be typing a message on this forum without the benefit of its full knowledge.

last time i checked, most electronic devices are 'real, useful' things...looking at plants and animals and playing 'join the dots' in a 2nd year bio, psych class, isn't.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Yes, because the application of biology and psychology in medicine is all just theoretical stuff.

I hope you get cancer and die.

Where's your maths now?

EDIT: Wtf did you respond with, I just realised you had no idea what I just said :S

You still didn't get this notion that at its purest form, maths is more philosophical than 'real' and physics more theoretical than 'real' just like every other science out there.

EDIT2: Are you trying to justify your switch from a psych course? Cos it sure sounds like you've eaten this massive cawk of shit.

Last edited:

televators

HSC
AsyLum said:
I hope you get cancer and die.
That's not very nice at all. I wouldn't want to wish that upon anyone, especially someone that I've never met. How rude of you.

AsyLum said:
EDIT: Wtf did you respond with, I just realised you had no idea what I just said :S
I did, and gave examples of important leaps in human culture due to the progress in pure/abstract mathematics and physics.... That lead to realistic applications....including CAT scans, MRI scans, the proper and safe understanding of X-rays. Electron microscopes, protein analysis with statistical mechanics.

Cancer might as well be witchcraft without these guys.

I was merely emphasizing the importance of theoretical research (a much better word than 'philosophical') and the benefits it has reaped.

EDIT2: Are you trying to justify your switch from a psych course? Cos it sure sounds like you've eaten this massive cawk of shit.

[/QUOTE]

Not really. Psychology was easy. Real easy....i wanted a challenge and to actually use my brain. There's my justification.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I did, and gave examples of important leaps in human culture due to the progress in pure/abstract mathematics and physics.... That lead to realistic applications....including CAT scans, MRI scans, the proper and safe understanding of X-rays. Electron microscopes, protein analysis with statistical mechanics.

Cancer might as well be witchcraft without these guys.

I was merely emphasizing the importance of theoretical research (a much better word than 'philosophical') and the benefits it has reaped.
Yep, you've totally missed the point.

The fact you keep re-iterating the exact point I've been making, that at its purest form physics and maths is philosophical/theoretical, and that to call other sciences merely 'pseudo' or lacking in 'realistic' applications just illustrates the giant wank troll you have embedded.

You completely misunderstood or are ignorant of this idea that science and practically everything else was up until a short while ago all placed under the heading of philosophical, and that philosophical means much more than 'oh what is the meaning of life'.

Not really. Psychology was easy. Real easy....i wanted a challenge and to actually use my brain. There's my justification.
Perhaps a course in advanced metaphysics may increase your capacity to understand what 'philosophical' can entail.

PwarYuex said:
eek, Mike. You make baby Bobby cry on the inside. :(
Baby bobby needs to be put into a microwave for 2 minutes on a high setting.

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
Mq has B Engineering/B commerce as well as B Engineering/B Science for 2008 undergrads

IF i WASnT MOVING I WOULD SO FREAKING TRASNFER!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)