engineering at UWS without HSC physics? (1 Viewer)

mikehefanatic

HSC
I applied for Engineering at UWS and I'm sure that I'll get accepted. However, I didn't do Physics in my HSC, and did Mathematics instead of Extension. I qualify for the "assumed knowledge" but I'm still worried cuz even though they're not pre-requisites, they are still under "recommended studies". I'm thinking of doing either Electrical or Civil.

`Would it make any difference?
`Should I do bridging courses for Physics and Maths? If there's any?
`How hard is the Maths? Is Mathematics enough?
`Which is better- Civil or Electrical? BTW, i enjoy bio and i dont mind chem.

My subjects:
chem
bio
st eng
mathematics
ancient hist

mikehefanatic

HSC
I guess I should.. I'll just have to wait and see if they offer the bridging course:bomb:

korrupt samurai

Sneaker Addict
HSC
`Would it make any difference? sortof, might help you get better grades, but the course will teach you everything you need to survive the course.
`Should I do bridging courses for Physics and Maths? If there's any? just brush up on your 2 unit maths, and maybe start borrowing physics books from library etc.
`How hard is the Maths? Is Mathematics enough? for electrical engineering its one of the hardest of all engineering disciplines with heavy maths and physics, civil not so much ( the easiest of all engineering).. But then again they do teach you all the maths you need, its all about whether you can apply yourself to the courses content.

I guess you can look at it this way,

electrical super difficult with high drop out rates, & higher paying salary,

vs

Civil which has a lower salary than electrical (not much) + more job availability + easiest of all engineering.

tho don't take my word for it, as these are just my observations from engineering students and teachers. So just pick whatever you feel like (BTW for UWS engineering first year is all core subjects, so you get a feel for the different types of engineering, and only until you reach 2nd year you get to choose your major.)

hope that helps mate.

bos1234

HSC
i do engineering 2nd year

dont worry about the maths

first semester maths is very easy

u learn stuff like logs,complex numbres,matricies, differentiation.. its easy to learn if you haven't come across the topics.. and the qns are easy as well.. its just alot to learn in a short time...

jsut make sure you dont fall behind.. if your a bludger like most students EXPECT TO FAIL

but there is also maths for engineers 2 in 2nd semster which is quite tough ....

2 unit is more than enuf FOR NOW....
MAKE SURE YOU KNOW INTEGRATION AND DIFFERENTIATION.. IF YOU KNOW THESE TOPIC WELL YOU WILL BE SET FOR MATHS 1 AND 2

if your doing electrical then there is maths for engineers 3 which i haven't done yet

----------------------------------
physics a bit ANNOYING not tough .... but the lecturer is very nice.. he basically gives you the test papers before hand! its very passable

i done physics and i failed in HSC.. so basically i didnt do physics as well.. but i still managed and passed in uni

-------------------

p.s. engineering is a sausage fest.. since your a girl you'll have a good time.. but keep your mind on studies and u'll be fine

hehehehehe

cya next year ;)

p.p.s
be on look out for me.. im the good looking one :p

Last edited:

skyline

Proud Aurion TRD owner
HSC
N/A
bos1234 said:
i do engineering 2nd year

dont worry about the maths

first semester maths is very easy

u learn stuff like logs,complex numbres,matricies, differentiation.. its easy to learn if you haven't come across the topics.. and the qns are easy as well.. its just alot to learn in a short time...

jsut make sure you dont fall behind.. if your a bludger like most students EXPECT TO FAIL

but there is also maths for engineers 2 in 2nd semster which is quite tough ....

2 unit is more than enuf FOR NOW....
MAKE SURE YOU KNOW INTEGRATION AND DIFFERENTIATION.. IF YOU KNOW THESE TOPIC WELL YOU WILL BE SET FOR MATHS 1 AND 2

if your doing electrical then there is maths for engineers 3 which i haven't done yet

----------------------------------
physics a bit ANNOYING not tough .... but the lecturer is very nice.. he basically gives you the test papers before hand! its very passable

i done physics and i failed in HSC.. so basically i didnt do physics as well.. but i still managed and passed in uni

-------------------

p.s. engineering is a sausage fest.. since your a girl you'll have a good time.. but keep your mind on studies and u'll be fine

hehehehehe

cya next year ;)

p.p.s

hahaha, dude your making this site into a hook up site now lol, very funny, incase you are wondering, all the chicks that do engineering look like men anyways, so dont get your hopes up buddy :eek:

skyline

Proud Aurion TRD owner
HSC
N/A
ohh by the way, has anyone who is wanting to do engineering at uws and applied for it as a first preference received an email saying they will be considered for an early round offer?

To get in it, you need to have achieved the minimum cutoff, i heard this is good since people who say fall short off the cut off are rescued from the automatic bonus 5 points if your in the greater western sydney region, for instance my friend got a uai of 64, he got an automatic 5 points and now sits on 69 uai, and the cut off is 68 so his chances of getting in should be good seeing they sent him an email saying your uai shows your eligible to apply for early round offer, so did anyone else who fell short get the same thing?

thanks in advanced :pirate:

bos1234

HSC
skyline said:
hahaha, dude your making this site into a hook up site now lol, very funny, incase you are wondering, all the chicks that do engineering look like men anyways, so dont get your hopes up buddy :eek:
hahahaha true that

bos1234

HSC
skyline said:
ohh by the way, has anyone who is wanting to do engineering at uws and applied for it as a first preference received an email saying they will be considered for an early round offer?

To get in it, you need to have achieved the minimum cutoff, i heard this is good since people who say fall short off the cut off are rescued from the automatic bonus 5 points if your in the greater western sydney region, for instance my friend got a uai of 64, he got an automatic 5 points and now sits on 69 uai, and the cut off is 68 so his chances of getting in should be good seeing they sent him an email saying your uai shows your eligible to apply for early round offer, so did anyone else who fell short get the same thing?

thanks in advanced :pirate:
yeah same thing happened to me

i got 67 +5

but i didn't recieve the early round offer thing..

just the normal way

mikehefanatic

HSC
korrupt samurai said:
`Would it make any difference? sortof, might help you get better grades, but the course will teach you everything you need to survive the course.
`Should I do bridging courses for Physics and Maths? If there's any? just brush up on your 2 unit maths, and maybe start borrowing physics books from library etc.
`How hard is the Maths? Is Mathematics enough? for electrical engineering its one of the hardest of all engineering disciplines with heavy maths and physics, civil not so much ( the easiest of all engineering).. But then again they do teach you all the maths you need, its all about whether you can apply yourself to the courses content.

I guess you can look at it this way,

electrical super difficult with high drop out rates, & higher paying salary,

vs

Civil which has a lower salary than electrical (not much) + more job availability + easiest of all engineering.

tho don't take my word for it, as these are just my observations from engineering students and teachers. So just pick whatever you feel like (BTW for UWS engineering first year is all core subjects, so you get a feel for the different types of engineering, and only until you reach 2nd year you get to choose your major.)

hope that helps mate.

OMG!! thanks soo much! that clears up a lot of things in my head!

mikehefanatic

HSC
bos1234 said:
p.p.s
haha good call! that narrows down the whole engineering students lol
thanks for the maths advice, ill make sure to bring all my HSC maths notes with me when i move to syd :D
yaayy im excited now

Last edited:

sdcloud69

Banned
HSC
i did general maths and failed, engineering in yr 11 and no other related subjects.

will this course destroy me?

big8oyjames

Banned
HSC
when i started engineering in 07, this female friend of mine had only done general maths in high school. however, she studied her ass off for maths 1....when i say study i mean nearly every second day was just maths. anyways, obviously its going to be hard to introduce yourself to calculus, differentiation and integration. however she ended up getting 70. she also passed maths 2 first go.

i would like to make a note most people would fail maths 1 if they didnt do 2 unit in high school. but if you put in the time and dedication it can be done.

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
mikehefanatic said:
I applied for Engineering at UWS and I'm sure that I'll get accepted. However, I didn't do Physics in my HSC, and did Mathematics instead of Extension. I qualify for the "assumed knowledge" but I'm still worried cuz even though they're not pre-requisites, they are still under "recommended studies". I'm thinking of doing either Electrical or Civil.

`Would it make any difference?
`Should I do bridging courses for Physics and Maths? If there's any?
`How hard is the Maths? Is Mathematics enough?

My subjects:
chem
bio
st eng
mathematics
ancient hist
If you ask any student they will tell you HSC physics does more harm than good

Preliminary Year 11 Physics is more relevant to uni

sugarfixlove

HSC
does mathematics for engineers get difficult? becuase i'm findingg it increasingly easy and i'm so worried i won't be able to transfer. please tell me i'll have to bust my ballsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss....vadge hahaha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)