Engineering Dropout rates UOW (1 Viewer)

cloud edwards

HSC
Hey just out of curiosity, what's the dropout rate if any knows for each first year UOW subject.
Is there any particular subject(s) that are harder and have higher drop out rates in University of Wollongong first year subjects.

Thanks in advance

FocusTutoring

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
Last I heard it was a general 30% rate, however this will change from year-to-year.

I tend to think of it this way- if your brain is geared towards something like electrical engineering and you enjoy it, you will stay in the course and it won't be too hard (but something like physical education science might be hard). If your mind and enjoyment is geared to something like physical education science, you will likely find electrical engineering hard.

Try as hard as you can to maximise your ATAR to give yourself the most options, which will hopefully open the door to something you enjoy :).

alex@uow

HSC
what's the dropout rate if any knows for each first year UOW subject?
UOW has a policy to keep a very tight lid on these figures. It would be detrimental to disclose this per subject or per degree.
Is there any particular subject(s) that are harder and have higher drop out rates in University of Wollongong first year subjects.
Engineering and Computer Science tend to have a hard time retaining students from first year first session through to graduation. Not that Medicine or Pure Physics or Mathematics degrees are not as challenging but the students that enrol in them tend to have a more specific goal and realistic approach. Where as Engineering and Software Engineering/CompSci tend to attract students that like the idea of working in Engineering or IT but haven't really considered themselves, their abilities and the challenges of the degree.
Personally I found engineering maths and comp sci the most challenging subjects. Since I was doing a double degree and tutoring in various faculties I have to say relatively speaking nothing compares to the informatics faculty. Allot has changed; teaching methods, calibre of lecturer (in terms of teaching skills) and the standards and expectations as well.

On a side note. There is also allot of pressure (economically) as the LNP's final goal would be to sell off universities. Nelson, Howard, Abbott, and Morrison all believe they need to be sold off. Secondly as education is our second largest export , after minerals, various degrees popular with international students have evolved to please sponsors, consulates and international students overall to the deferment of the degree, the university and Australias reputation globally for quality diligent tertiary graduates.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)