Engineering for a shy guy? (1 Viewer)

Exp

HSC
I'm a mildly shy person and I'm very interested in engineering but I've heard that it requires GOOD communication skills which I don't really have. I'm able to talk to people but I get a bit flustered at times... would I die if I pursue a career in engineering?

astroman

HSC
Shyness isn't going to get you anywhere in the world. You have to talk with people no matter what you choose to study. Uni is mostly group work so regardless if you do engineering or not you will be talking to lots of people. Once in the workplace, employers look for soft skills as well as expertise. If you are a HD student and know everything but can't give a presentation to a group or pitch an idea, you will be at a disadvantage. Go to Uni open days, talk to people and improve your skills. Get out of your comfort zone and be uncomfortable, it's the only way that you're going to improve yourself.

Reactions: Exp

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
I'm a mildly shy person and I'm very interested in engineering but I've heard that it requires GOOD communication skills which I don't really have. I'm able to talk to people but I get a bit flustered at times... would I die if I pursue a career in engineering?
Ur going to need it for whatever u do

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
Communication skills are something that can 100% be learned and shyness can change as you get older.

Pursue whatever you want to pursue, if you discover you don't like it just do something else. It's not to be taken lightly but not THAT serious.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Consider joining a Toastmasters.

I also suspect you will not be the "shyest" engineer in the room in many of your lectures at University.

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
Consider joining a Toastmasters.

I also suspect you will not be the "shyest" engineer in the room in many of your lectures at University.
Toastmasters is good.

I attended a 2 day speech craft course when i was in university and received many public speaking compliments and opportunities during my first couple years in the corporate world.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Engineering, as with most other STEM majors, will consist of some of the shyest students at university lol.

It's definitely something you should work on and try to overcome to some extent while studying, but I don't think engineering requires any special consideration for this.

Jolteon

HSC
Communication is necessary for all courses and in life, there are so many suggestions here but my personal favourite is getting a part time job.
Since I started working (retail/hospitality) I've had so many opportunities to talk with new people/colleagues and customers whenever I want - I highly recommend it! :)

Best of Luck!

enghero

HSC
Uni Grad
Communication is the most important skill regardless of any profession.

I used to be an awkward and shy person too. You'll overcome it. Join a club at university, toastmasters, sports team, work a part-time job.
Treat others with respect and they will do the same to you. The ones who don't treat others with respect are not worth your time and effort.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)