Engineering Mechanics / Hydraulics etc... (1 Viewer)

lemon1

HSC
I need more sources to learn these from, anyone have anything that could help? I'm about to go in only knowing how to do truss analysis...

Leffife

A lover is a best friend
HSC
N/A
I'll PM you a site, that I found quite good. I don't do engineering studies by the way.

machine2035

HSC
N/A
I need more sources to learn these from, anyone have anything that could help? I'm about to go in only knowing how to do truss analysis...
Oh well that could be seen as a good thing.. Q12 is given to be a truss analysis :D

zhou

HSC
Uni Grad
the engineering mechanics textbook by schlenker does wonders, but if you don't have a copy from your school already, i guess there's no point

lemon1

HSC
the engineering mechanics textbook by schlenker does wonders, but if you don't have a copy from your school already, i guess there's no point
may i ask if it covers the whole engineering courses mechanics? like from aeronautics, lifting devices etc..

:)

@Leffife thanks very much!
@machine2035 Haha not every year, but hopefully it is :p

zhou

HSC
Uni Grad
may i ask if it covers the whole engineering courses mechanics? like from aeronautics, lifting devices etc..
It covers everything. Chapters: forces, power, truss analysis, stress/strain and so on, all that's in the syllabus and a little beyond... it has good examples/explanations as well as plentiful questions.

lemon1

HSC
Great, do you think it's a popular book which i could find somewhere in Angus and Robertson or whatever that book stores name was? Or better yet a online copy or something haha :p

zhou

HSC
Uni Grad
definitely not, sorry. everyone i've seen has gotten a copy from their respective schools. if you cannot get a copy from your school today, you'll have to work off Excel Engineering or another textbook.

eshaygabberbrah

HSC
i also can do nothing besides truss analysis!!
Does anyone have any suggestions on what i should be studying with 12 hours of cramming?

OR can anyone tell me how to do calculations involving angles? they dont look to hard i was just never taught how to do them.

mark120

HSC
Great, do you think it's a popular book which i could find somewhere in Angus and Robertson or whatever that book stores name was? Or better yet a online copy or something haha :p
It is kinda last minute but the Excel book is really good for explanations.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what i should be studying with 12 hours of cramming?
OR can anyone tell me how to do calculations involving angles? they dont look to hard i was just never taught how to do them.
You just need to be able to use trigonometry to manipulate the forces, so you can find the horizontal and vertical components

zhou

HSC
Uni Grad

I can only advise you to do some engineering past paper questions involving calculations. Calculations are a major part of the examination and are easy to scab marks off, even if your final answer is wrong.

Make sure you can relate a question to a formula on the formula sheet on the back of the examination paper. Convert all of the given values into SI units (such a m, s, N, etc.) and solve for the unknown.
Convert the SI units to what the question may ask you if need be..

In regards to questions with angles, I think it's best to do them graphically, that is, drawing all the available forces to scale and in the correct angle. Then finding the unknowns by drawing to scale the direction of the force of the unknowns, then measuring them with a ruler (markers give a leniency of +-10% I think).
Another way is to solve it using trigonometry.

eshaygabberbrah

HSC
I can only advise you to do some engineering past paper questions involving calculations. Calculations are a major part of the examination and are easy to scab marks off, even if your final answer is wrong.

Make sure you can relate a question to a formula on the formula sheet on the back of the examination paper. Convert all of the given values into SI units (such a m, s, N, etc.) and solve for the unknown.

In regards to questions with angles, I think it's best to do them graphically, that is, drawing all the available forces to scale and in the correct angle. Then finding the unknowns by drawing to scale the direction of the force of the unknowns, then measuring them with a ruler (markers give a leniency of +-10% I think).
Cheers, thats good advice!
so you can just get horizontal & vertical components through trig then treat them the same as other forces? doesnt seem too hard i suppose :)

lemon1

HSC
I found this website from another school (discovered where my teacher gets his resources). Down the bottom of the page is electronic copies of the TAFE modules of Engineering Studies. This should help with you last minute study :D Good luck for tomorrow! I really hope the exam is easy and that the drawing is basic :p

http://www.westfields-h.schools.nsw...ts/senior-study-electives/engineering-studies
thanks a lot! :)

No worries i do have the Excel book anyways, and thanks for the tips :)

5ybertr0n

HSC
This discussion is ages ago, but is it possible for you to give me the site as well. Thank you!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)