engineering students (1 Viewer)

hatty

Banned
hey all.

i was wondering.

is engineering a job where you go well by being creative? or is it one of them jobs where you follow rules and you'll get it done?

see, accounting is a job where you crunch numbers with absolutely no creativity and you'll get the job done well. (or so i think)

engineering, i always thought was pretty much the same thing. but looking after hearing what others have said about engineering (electrical and civil), i get the impression that in order to actually go well, you need to have unique ideas and stuff like that.

for example, in the Business/Marketing fields, you need to have different and unique ideas and methods to reach the top.

i honestly dont know that much about engineering, so really, what type of job is it?

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
I think there is some creativity in accouting from what i heard.

so far in engineering we have only been crunching numbers, but but group projects and stuff you get to be creative, and i expect in the work force there will be chances to be creative.

aditya

HSC
yeh like through electrical engineering telecomm photonics engineering any of those three, do u think its possible to become a ceo or move into general management with relative ease? or would u put it as being a fluke, luck of the draw type of achievement?

mojako

HSC
if an electrical/telecomm engineer does not go into management, where does he work?
I mean something like factory / lab / office, city / remote areas

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
"
hey

Telecommunications Engineering seems interesting...
what are the job prospects for it?
"

well, not too many right now, but things are picking up with voice over ip and wireless broadband

"yeh like through electrical engineering telecomm photonics engineering any of those three, do u think its possible to become a ceo or move into general management with relative ease? or would u put it as being a fluke, luck of the draw type of achievement?"

well, they say you should later in your carreer, and we do, do some management courses.
I think doing a double degree with commerece is appropriate.

if an electrical/telecomm engineer does not go into management, where does he work?
I mean something like factory / lab / office, city / remote areas

whereever a manager would work....

mojako

HSC
>> whereever a manager would work.... <<
but I was asking about engineers who don't work in management... :confused:

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
mojako said:
>> whereever a manager would work.... <<
but I was asking about engineers who don't work in management... :confused:
sorry i read that wrong....

i'm not too sure, from what i heard there are many places you could work. From outdoors to indoors.

personally I want to go into research.

shannonm

HSC
N/A
can't you search internet for all this shit?
http://www.eng.unsw.edu.au/prospect/ug/be/tele.htm

Telecommunications Engineering is concerned with communicating information at a distance. It is strongly associated with data communications, largely because of the tendency to encode, compress and encrypt all information, and because of the growing importance of digital and wireless (e.g. mobile telephony) networks.

Telecommunications Engineers design, develop, test and maintain telecommunications systems. Telecommunications Engineering will appeal to those who are interested in the following fields:

Satellite communications and mobile satellite communications
Signal and image processing
Optical fibres and photonics
Data networks, data coding, compression, encryption and transmission
Microelectronic devices and systems
Real-time embedded systems

MoNNiE

HSC
is engineering a job where you go well by being creative? or is it one of them jobs where you follow rules and you'll get it done?

indeed engineering is a creative job! it's were the the common cliche "think out side the squre you live in " can be readily applied.. engineering you still have to follow rules, but in order to get your job done,, you need to think abroad, such as think of other options/ways towards completing/solving a problem.
such as for a civil engineer they need to think of methods of i dunno crossing a river.. should they create a nice bridge, what should it look like.. etc etc [ but then there are restraints to think about such as, is it going to be used often, what kind of environment surrounds the area, and yet most importently.. how much do you have to spend on a project!]

abit of logic also helps!

ziggyboy

HSC
Everyone has his own interpretation but the word engineering in its strictest sense != artistic/creativity. Unfortunately it's one of those jobs where you follow rules to get a job done as you said. Engineering programs exist simply because there are already existing processes to do certain kinds of tasks.

I am not saying there is no creativity whatsoever in engineering. There is, but not much compared to other courses. Research in other degrees tend to be more abstract, engineering is more practical. A popular scientist quoted, "physics is to electrical engineering, what computer science is to software engineering."

hatty

Banned
i want to do Engineering now
the only reason i asked was because i hate them type of jobs where u need ur own ideas and creative shit to go well.
im kinda a math person. no bullshit. no waffle, theres only one right answer to the solution.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
ziggyboy said:
Everyone has his own interpretation but the word engineering in its strictest sense != artistic/creativity. Unfortunately it's one of those jobs where you follow rules to get a job done as you said. Engineering programs exist simply because there are already existing processes to do certain kinds of tasks.

I am not saying there is no creativity whatsoever in engineering. There is, but not much compared to other courses. Research in other degrees tend to be more abstract, engineering is more practical. A popular scientist quoted, "physics is to electrical engineering, what computer science is to software engineering."
hmmm... from what i have read electrical engeering is mostly maths...

it is the mechanical/material that is physics related

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)