Engineering: UNSW or USYD? (1 Viewer)

SoFTuaRiaL

Originally posted by anti
oh and you can have any number of letters after or before your name.. it just makes it harder to sign things :D
eh? u dont use ur degree qualifications in signatures do u?

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
oh probably not, you're right
maybe on business cards or something. :D

Giant Lobster

HSC
ooooh mechatronics!!
actually mechatronic space eng is like my second dream course mmm high tech 1337 stuff... :D

how long is a phd gonna take? and say if i dont get the 99.3 i need for aeronautical space, and end up with the 93 normal aeronautical, will there be a difference to the degree i get at the end of 4 years? and furthering that example, say if i want to continue postgrad study, wud me not getting into the uber 99.3 one affect me at all on a post grad level? e.g. the classes / quality of education etc? soz i dunno jacksquat about how uni works :rolleyes:

SoFTuaRiaL

giant lobster : ur uai will not affect any postgrad study. but at unsw, in order to do a phd, u need a distinction average throughout ur undergrad study.
in a phd, u focus on a very detailed topic. u dont do a variety of subjects. so doing aeronautical or aerospace makes no difference at all ...

Giant Lobster

HSC
oooh...
hmm so at unsw if i dont whack out a distinction average theyll kick me out after 4 years? damn thats slack.. r u sure its not the same at usyd?

TheKey

HSC
hi people

In UTS lecture they said for people who do engeneering (didnt specify which type) you can choose to do ur 6month block work experience overseas and they pay for tickects and stuff. Also they say that 'almost' everyone gets a job after they leave since they have these connections and you get a 1 year work experince diploma.

Does Syd and NSW uni have the same offers to do ur work experience elsewhere and how safe are you finding a job coming from Sydney or NSW uni when comaperd to UTS? Do they also help you out in job hunting or leave you once your done.

Also when thinking of a field of engeneering, id love software but UAI's too high, so from electical and mechancal which is more future proof in terms of work (in AUST). i hear that "nanotechnology" is gonna be big, but im too scared to take it specifically so id rather move into that field later if i should choose. So is nano an elective from mechanical or electrical?

any input will be greatly appreciated, must fill this in soon.

SoFTuaRiaL

firstly, unsw engg degrees require 60 days of work exp, without which u cant graduate ... this work can be done overseas, but tickets arent paid for. the work isnt embedded into the degree as it is for uts. u are expected to complte the work exp during summer. however, they assist u in finding a job. for further details, see http://www.do.cse.unsw.edu.au

if u really really wanna do software but feel that ur uai wont be as high, u can always do comp sci and transfer after first yr. but u need to work very hard in ur first yr.

i cant help u with the elec/mech part sorry

Giant Lobster

HSC
Hey thanx man that helped
hmm one more question, how long would it take for me to get a masters to be admitted to a phd program, as opposed to me getting a bachelors with first / second class honours and getting in that way?

and is a bachelors with honours really really hard to get?

SoFTuaRiaL

Originally posted by Giant Lobster
Hey thanx man that helped
hmm one more question, how long would it take for me to get a masters to be admitted to a phd program, as opposed to me getting a bachelors with first / second class honours and getting in that way?

and is a bachelors with honours really really hard to get?
i'm pretty sure its 1.5-2 yrs of masters (MSc) for a postgrad. and u cant directly do a postgrad after a bach .... ur only way of entry is thru a masters program.

Giant Lobster

HSC
Originally posted by Da Monstar
i'm pretty sure its 1.5-2 yrs of masters (MSc) for a postgrad. and u cant directly do a postgrad after a bach .... ur only way of entry is thru a masters program.
hmmm wouldnt that be kinda hectic tho?
cos the masters degree is a research project, having completed that and going onto ur phd, its another research project in the same field! :rolleyes: hmm im pretty sure they let honours students to go onto the phd research program after their bachelors, i just dunno wat the honours prog is exactly.

SoFTuaRiaL

masters is not necessarily research. u can, if u want, do course work during masters for the subject/field in which u'd like to do ur research ....
a cousin of mine did his masters in metallurgy sciences, and went on to do his phd on "magnetic materials for hard drives" or something of the sort ...

Giant Lobster

HSC
interesting.. so r there any difference in whether u do ur masters on coursework or independent research? i.e. perhaps following set coursework requires less ability than research?

jayz

walking
I hope this question won't prove to be too difficult:

TO all the UNSW engineering students, how many ppl occupied the lecture halls during an average lecture on math or something in year 1?

and to your knowledge, what's the differences between UNSW, USYD and UTS's students' relations within the faculty (i.e. do they know each other?)

SoFTuaRiaL

Originally posted by jayz
I hope this question won't prove to be too difficult:

TO all the UNSW engineering students, how many ppl occupied the lecture halls during an average lecture on math or something in year 1?

and to your knowledge, what's the differences between UNSW, USYD and UTS's students' relations within the faculty (i.e. do they know each other?)
1. the maths lectures i went to in first yr (i still am in first yr) .... well, maths 1a and discrete maths had a lot lot lot of students in it .... atleast abt 400 per lecture, even more. but for finite maths, which i do this session, there are abt 100 students (mainly cos finite is compulsory only for seng students). i suppose maths 1b too will have heaps of students (i dont do maths 1b, i'm doing it in summer, where there'd be not more than 150 students i assume)

2. in regards to ur second question, at unsw, there are a lot of "course related" societies. for eg, see my sig. sesoc is the seng society. we not only organise events for the students, but are also the main link b/w the students doing seng and the faculty. there are similarly societies for every school within the engg faculty. moreover, the school of comp sci n engg have "student representatives" who are there to help out too :)

SoFTuaRiaL

Originally posted by Giant Lobster
interesting.. so r there any difference in whether u do ur masters on coursework or independent research? i.e. perhaps following set coursework requires less ability than research?
course work and research both require the same entry criteria, so course work doesnt necessarily mean that they are 'stupider' ..... it depends on induvidual taste. some ppl prefer doing their own research, wheras others like to sit in classrooms ....
perhaps doing course work would give u a better understanding on the topic of ur phd research?

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
i suppose maths 1b too will have heaps of students
Maths 1B has 3 lecture streams, each with around 200 students in them (but I don't do 1B either) ...

2. in regards to ur second question, at unsw, there are a lot of "course related" societies. for eg, see my sig. sesoc is the seng society. we not only organise events for the students, but are also the main link b/w the students doing seng and the faculty. there are similarly societies for every school within the engg faculty. moreover, the school of comp sci n engg have "student representatives" who are there to help out too :)
There is a sense of community as well, especially in the second session, as you have classes together, go home on the same bus etc ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)