Engineering week 0 (1 Viewer)

karnage

HSC
Err anyone know whats happening? Is there anything on for us engineering first years or is it another week of holidays till the 9th.

erm

HSC
Hey i'm wondering the same thing too....i think there's some shiz in week 0 for comp1911 peeps.

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
week 0 as I've always said is for holding information lecture and seminars run by myStart. For CSE students you must attend lab 0 to receive your cse account.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
There is a lecture on how to use Maple for MATH1131 and 1141

Dt 08

HSC
hmmz so week 0 we only ned to attend for 1 hour?

sweet :D

karnage

HSC
Thats good, i would hate having to go all the way there for 5 days in a row just for 1 hour. Did anyone do those mystart course? They're bloody full, damn.

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
even if the courses seem full, its not going to stop you sneaking in and grabbing a spare seat they might have. If you're interested just drop in and take a few notes. People who have booked do not always show up....

kkzz0818

HSC
hey darkwolf, what is with the CSE thingo.

Man i dun evn do computing engineering apart from those subjects, is that why it keeps on sending me emails regarding oweek?
Cos im doing aerospace engineering.

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
if you are doing any computing courses (COMP1911, COMP1917 etc) this semester then you need to attend lab 0 during week 0 to receive your cse username and password, which is separate from your unipass account.

shaz_smach

HSC
this information based on my experience last year 2008
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For those who taking COMP1911 (and probably apply for other first year CSE subjects) ---

there will be a Lab 0, an introduction lab to introduce new students to CSE labs, CSE computers with its Unix environment, and also to set up student's username and password.

This lab accounts 1 mark for your attendance.

TIme : Week 0

there will be helpers at the labs to help new students

last year many students miss this lab. you still be able to use CSE labs, missing this lab doesnt not affect your study. but you will be wasting your time in Lab 1 to do the lab 0 things.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
** warning!! this is just based on my experience last year. maybe somebody can find info relating to this year.

seems like this year they change the system. they are using Wiki. check here. https://cgi.cse.unsw.edu.au/~cs1911cgi/06s1/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/Course_Information

please check this info. i cannot confirm anything.

kkzz0818

HSC
but im doind ENGG1811 and ENGG1000 and that is about it?
Im soo epicly confused...

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
i never did 1811, so i'm sort of clueless too as to whether you have to do lab 0. I'm sure some of the other regulars here have done it. Alternatively just flick an email to the cse helpdesk. They usually reply within hours.

erm

HSC
even if the courses seem full, its not going to stop you sneaking in and grabbing a spare seat they might have. If you're interested just drop in and take a few notes. People who have booked do not always show up....
with these booked events they never check right?

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
not 100% sure, but the reason I believe you can get in without being marked off is

1) this is not high school. They don't read your name off a list
2) I received an email from cse reminding me to go to the IT careers seminar. It made no mention of booking in advance, rather, just drop in.
3) the bookings are used to gauge level of interest, imo.

thats my reasoning however. I could be wrong...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)