Engineering which major? (1 Viewer)

cineti970128

HSC
Simple.

I just want to work in very good company in terms of job prospect and salary. Would fovour more office work than actual field. If i have to, then i will.

Employed as any engineer(graduate), do you use a lot of maths and physics that are taught in university? like finding the stability of a structure using what and what formulae. also doing that in comfort of office.

What do "very good engineers" (eg. 4 year B of Eng @ unsw and getting HD throughout) do in their office? (are all tasks like boring paperworks, safety and health regulations, no maths required, photocopying etc?)

How much do "very good engineers" earn (graduates)?

If you are doing any engineering job could you post your daily routine?

Out of Electrical, civil, geotechnical engineering majors, which would suit me most? (high salary, job prospect, a lot of maths in the office, not overworking)?

Capt Rifle

HSC
I am afraid I cannot answer most of your questions, but depending on the engineering field, on average a graduate would earn about 50 - 90 k (correct me if I am wrong).

In terms of what they would do, well, being a graduate would probably mean you do some mundane activity within the workplace.

I would say electrical, out of the three you put up would suit you most, except probably for the 'overworking' bit. I also heard that there are too many civil engineers, and it is becoming difficult to find a job out there.

Last edited:

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
You're not going to find an engineering job that meets all of those criteria.

Most of the math learned is not necessary for probably 95% of engineers. Those who use it will generally be on lower pay. As always, for the better money, regress of the field, you have to move into project management (which is a lot less technical).

cineti970128

HSC
You're not going to find an engineering job that meets all of those criteria.

Most of the math learned is not necessary for probably 95% of engineers. Those who use it will generally be on lower pay. As always, for the better money, regress of the field, you have to move into project management (which is a lot less technical).
then what is the point in learning engineering? All those maths and physics for nothing?
should i chose something else other than engineering if i hate like working with very boring tasks?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)