Engineering....which uni????? (1 Viewer)

13yrsWASTED

thanx for ur replyies......if helpful or not....my mind is not weak....i am just gettin ideas....
.......thanx for ur time

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
Originally posted by clairegirl
sydney and uts engineering isn't very good... if you must choose out of the sydney uni's.... i guess goto UNSW :|
wtf? are you talking out of your arse or what?

anyway, i hope this isn't too late AustMostWntd but i figured i could give you a helpful reply seeing as my dad is an engineer and my best friend is doing Construction engineering @ UTS!! basically when my best friend was looking for similar advice about where to go, my father (who is Head Engineer in project management for the NSW Dep. of Public Works) advised him to definitely go to UTS. He said in his workplace they accept only UTS graduates as they are trained practically, whereas he has found the USYD graduates to be poor performers- he said the USYD coursework is much more theoretically based, whereas at UTS they have an approach which is all about how to be an engineer- as opposed to the abstract principles behind the engineering. my dad went to usyd himself but recommends against it. he said within the field, uts graduates are sought after because of their ability to get to work straight away - unlike usyd graudates who seem to need a bit more initial training.

but yeah, my best friend obviously chose UTS and loves it. there's also a camp for 1st yr engineering students so that makes it heaps easier to make friends!!! anyway good luck with your decision, and if youve got any more questions my dad might be able to help you out!!! Private message me if you need any more help.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by spin spin sugar
wtf? are you talking out of your arse or what?

anyway, i hope this isn't too late AustMostWntd but i figured i could give you a helpful reply seeing as my dad is an engineer and my best friend is doing Construction engineering @ UTS!! basically when my best friend was looking for similar advice about where to go, my father (who is Head Engineer in project management for the NSW Dep. of Public Works) advised him to definitely go to UTS. He said in his workplace they accept only UTS graduates as they are trained practically, whereas he has found the USYD graduates to be poor performers- he said the USYD coursework is much more theoretically based, whereas at UTS they have an approach which is all about how to be an engineer- as opposed to the abstract principles behind the engineering. my dad went to usyd himself but recommends against it. he said within the field, uts graduates are sought after because of their ability to get to work straight away - unlike usyd graudates who seem to need a bit more initial training.

but yeah, my best friend obviously chose UTS and loves it. there's also a camp for 1st yr engineering students so that makes it heaps easier to make friends!!! anyway good luck with your decision, and if youve got any more questions my dad might be able to help you out!!! Private message me if you need any more help.
you are comparing UTS to usyd....

it is true that usyd is less practical, however UTS would have similar degrees (in terms of practically) to UNSW and UOW.

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
wasnt the original post asking for a choice between uts and usyd?

Originally posted by AustMostWntd
i know that i want to do Countruction though im not sure which uni to pick....i am contemplating either USYD or UTS.....ideas and help in choosing will be greately appreciated...thankyou.....tell me why UTS or USYD would be better ......sell it too me :p thanx

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
For engineering I would prefer unsw or uts to usyd, the usyd engineering buildings look so pov....

But usyd engo is not entirely theoretical, 1st year get to build cars/planes and race/fly them, later years get to do all sorts of wierd and wonderful things :)

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Originally posted by Suvat
For engineering I would prefer unsw or uts to usyd, the usyd engineering buildings look so pov....

But usyd engo is not entirely theoretical, 1st year get to build cars/planes and race/fly them, later years get to do all sorts of wierd and wonderful things :)
Yes, cars which UOW beat on a yearly basis :p :D :p :D :p ;)

hatty

Banned
the best place 2 go for engineering
is ADFA
gauranteed employment
plus all the shit that comes along with it

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Originally posted by santaslayer
:uhhuh:

Slaughtered!

:apig::chainsaw:
Good choice, you get all the practical experience and when you come to a problem where you know absolutely no theory about it, I'm sure you'll be able to solve it.

santaslayer

HSC
I was referring to Raik's comment, which in terms of practicality, is quite within topic. How are you interpreting my above post?

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by KeypadSDM
USyd, highest funding per capita to the Engo department.
UNSW: LARGEST Engo Department, LARGEST faculty at UNSW which recives the MOST funding, and CSE is the LARGEST School which recives the MOST funding.

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Keypad was referring to per/capita, unless you can justify that too. :p
It's like saying the US has more buying power than Brunei.

No shit?

I'm just saying the people of Brunei are richer.

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by SpoRTsGaL
my bro recommended me to NOT go to uts if i wanna do engineering.... he also recommended me to not do engineering altogether, and if i ever want to do it, i should go to usyd. He is in his 5th year at uts doing an engineering course. He said that the management at uts has changed and is crappier. I went to uts for a women's engineering day and they turned me off engineering.
5th year? Is he doing a combined degree or does he just keep repeating? :p

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
There's a girl in my MGMT206 HR Managment tutorial who is in her 9th year and is still doing her first degree because she's changed degrees multiple times, failed subjects, done part time every now and then...I have no idea how someone can do that...

santaslayer

HSC
Let's assume she started when she was 17 yrs old.

According to my amazing mathematical abilities, 17+9=26 --OMFG! :p

ohne

HSC
5th year? Is he doing a combined degree or does he just keep repeating? :p
engineering at UTS takes longer because they do some diploma in professional practice as well i think...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)