Engl1007, Engl 1009 (1 Viewer)

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has taken either of the courses:

ENGL1007 - Canon of English Literature
ENGL1009 - Literature of Revolution

I'm considering taking them as elective subject during semester 2 and would appreciate any thoughts you had on them...

jawjayo

vast and green
HSC
heya, i did ENGL1009 last year and it was a really interesting subject. English lecturers are among the best on campus because they are so incredibly passionate about what they teach and its infectious! There's a fair bit of work involved in the course, but no final exam (essays instead). You do texts that are revolutionary in style and about revolutionary periods and they are for the most part beautiful and interesting texts... so yeah. Two thumbs up from me.

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
Hey, thanks so much for that. Was wondering if you could please give me a couple of examples of the kind of texts you studied for the course? Cheers. =)

jawjayo

vast and green
HSC
Danton's Death by Buchner
Beloved by Toni Morrison
Blake's poetry (particularly The Marriage of Heaven and Hell)
Walt Whitman's poetry
Battleship Potemkin (classic Russian film)
Sizwe Bansi is Dead by Fugard
Burke
Yeats
Thoreau

.... it's all on the school of english website

flydy

HSC
I'm going to take Literature of Revolution this year...so not looking forward to writing essays.

jawjayo

vast and green
HSC
err... thats prob not so great. English is one subject where the students tend to be really passionate about what they are studying, have read everything printed in the last 30 years and enjoy writing...

choc-chip

HSC
Engl1006 is pain in the ass though..
Before taking an English, make sure you r not one of those blugger type,or u will be feeling v. dumb in the totorials, trust.. *spoke of my experience*..

choc-chip

HSC
ENGL1006 was pain in the ass though

Before taking an English subject, make sure u r not one of those bludgger type, you must keep your readings up-to-dated..*spoke of experience*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)