ENGL1025 - Inventing Modernity. (1 Viewer)

Wolfowitz

, now also hated by Jews!
HSC
Everyone I've talked I know who does Arts is doing this unit next semester. If you are, put your name, number, course and bust size down that I may get to know you better. I'm also wanting to know what your expectations are of the course that they may be CRUSHED.

P.S - One of the criteria above isn't necessary. You can actually do Arts units from any degree, so that ain't important.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
i did it last year. one of the worst english subj ive done so far. it's SO open-ended. the texts are crap, the lecturers never link it back to the main subject heading (they just retell the stories) and the tutors/lecturers are crap (except liam semler who is a God in my eyes)

be afraid...be very afraid!

helmut

HSC
engl1025?
fiction film and power?

debate due tomorrow and just finished the stupid book. anyone else doing theres and cramming in writing a dodgey last minute speech afirmative...?
could do with some tips. at the moment all i've got is

and some random arguements from Roy that don't even make sense

walrusbear

HSC
inventing modernity (like many other english courses) is incredibly broad, unfocused and poorly structured

but on the plus side it has some terrific texts (did in 2004 anyway)

and it is heaven compared to ENGL1005 (language and image, right??). that course sucks giant balls and everyone knows it - even the course co-ordinators.

Wolfowitz

, now also hated by Jews!
HSC
Jellybeenz said:
could it possibly be worse than engl1005 was?
Hey.
I still remember you from that party @ Marrickville.
You were sooo slutting yourself off to some guy. 'Twas way funny.
I took a photo, didn't post though 'cause no one would appreciate it.

walrusbear said:
inventing modernity (like many other english courses) is incredibly broad, unfocused and poorly structured
I think that's what I'm looking for in English though.
I like broad, unboarded courses where essay marks come more from original observations and quotes than anything strictly defined as 'modernity'.

jellybeenz

HSC
Wolfowitz said:
Hey.
I still remember you from that party @ Marrickville.
You were sooo slutting yourself off to some guy. 'Twas way funny.
I took a photo, didn't post though 'cause no one would appreciate it.
Nice one...

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
shwa are the courses really that bad?

because i actually really liked fiction, film & power. so far, i'm caning it too =)
meh, there's always time to change subjects. no english subject in uni could ever be as crap as hsc english/ext 1. retreat from the global has set the bar very very low.

walrusbear

HSC
i liked both film, fiction & power and inventing modernity

the only english courses i disliked were language and image and those 'pre-honours' courses - but they've now changed

J

jhakka

grk_styl said:
i did it last year. one of the worst english subj ive done so far. it's SO open-ended. the texts are crap, the lecturers never link it back to the main subject heading (they just retell the stories) and the tutors/lecturers are crap (except liam semler who is a God in my eyes)

be afraid...be very afraid!
I agree with this on all counts.

On a side note, if anyone wants to buy my copy of To the Lighthouse (only opened once), I will sell it to you for $10. I also have the shitty little handbooks too, if you're interested.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)