English Advanced Paper 2 [Discussion/Thoughts] (1 Viewer)

fan96

617 pages
HSC
Uni Grad
For Metropolis how did people incorporate the still? I just used it for 3/4 of my first paragraph and talked about the destruction of corporeal agency as robot Maria seduces the modernist individual.... Did anyone go with a gender approach? Would have been interesting
I used it to talk about dehumanisation.

Some people seemed to think you had to reference that specific scene.

I talked about the recurring shapes of pyramids and triangles that were also in the still, which represent the hierarchal structure of society under exploited control and then linked context
I actually did this too but I'm not sure if the marker will accept that.

supR

Trials are the best
HSC
Uni Grad
At first every question scared me xD But I ended up answering them all pretty comfortably I thiiiink:

Mod A - Thought it was my strongest Mod, my essay felt a bit icky but I reckon it's good
Mod B - Was most nervous for this Q, but I think I slayed it preeeetty well
Mod C - Always felt this was a kinda weird, vague module (Politics) judging from exemplar responses, feeling pretty okay

supR

Trials are the best
HSC
Uni Grad
Yikes, Usyd and UQ is definitely off the table for me. Mod B was a serious curveball chucked at me, expected something specific but I had to chuck 2/3 of my remembered quotes in the bin immediately, I struggled to figure out what it meant initially and revolved my essay around how the audiences are angry at Hamlet's indecision and the disappointment faced at the play's ending, showing a lack of empathy for Hamlet as a character. Other two questions were okay, the excerpts and 'cultural conversation' thing was a bit odd for mod a but I got my head around it.

I tip myself to bomb English, none of the essays I did I felt were as good as trials, even Mod C which is far and away my strongest unit.

Never again. at least I can actually do the subjects that I'M GOOD AT for the rest of my hsc LMAO.
Nah man I wouldn't cut our USYD and UQ so quickly, you can still get in! (Depending on the course of course xP)
Also Misfits, which eSport?

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
Yes!! But I think it made it easier cause it wasn’t a specific

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Except I do speeches and the whole "literature" thing threw me off. In most past years the question for speeches was specific to rhetoric and persuasion - and I just wasn't feeling it with this question. I liked the 'uncomfortable truths' bit because it was SOMEWHAT related to what I prepared but that was about it. Usually Mod B is my favourite but it was my worst one on the paper.

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
Also, to anyone who did speeches:

I only noticed after the exam that you could've just talked about one speech. Because it didn't specify how many to do or anything.

spaghettii

HSC
Uni Grad
Except I do speeches and the whole "literature" thing threw me off. In most past years the question for speeches was specific to rhetoric and persuasion - and I just wasn't feeling it with this question. I liked the 'uncomfortable truths' bit because it was SOMEWHAT related to what I prepared but that was about it. Usually Mod B is my favourite but it was my worst one on the paper.
Lmao I feel like such a dumbass - when I first read the question I thought it meant our texts themselves had to show an appreciation of literature, so I talked about Atwood and Lessing and how they themselves show a deep appreciation for literature, band 1 here we come :D
jk jk I also argued that they allowed audiences to appreciate literature, so hopefully that gets at least a band 2 :,D

Also, to anyone who did speeches:

I only noticed after the exam that you could've just talked about one speech. Because it didn't specify how many to do or anything.
Eh, unless they specifically asked for one speech I think it would be necessary to discuss at least two.

emily_02

HSC
guys i'm not sure if i'm screwed but for module C i did people and landscapes and the question required us to EVALUATE, am i allowed to argue against the question? i did agree with the question for the first half of my essay but the second half of my essay is argueing against..i think i'm screwed lol

also, for the metropolis question, i didn't include the image in the beginning of my essay but i included IN my essay (i think in the third paragraph)..is that ok?? is that better than not mentioning it at all? i feel really really screwed lol

bjw22

HSC
I was kind of hoping for some more specific questions that would provide a bit more guidance as to what to write about - I really worked on not being too prepared and narrow, and then was a little bit lost initially.

Gatsby & Browning - talked about how differences in values highlights how values (gender, materialistic/deep love) change over time and hence produced conversation when viewed from different cultural viewpoints.

Hamlet - audience develops empathy for Hamlet due to appreciation his conflict, and faces uncomfortable truth that we too are isolated in our own worlds to a certain extent, also audience face uncomfortable certainty of our own deaths. Therefore, such an audience relationship with hamlet means we grow appreciation for text.

Crucible: Banged on about absolutist rule and how depiction of such rule prompts readers to consider their own views of all-consuming political power, and also consider the power they have in their own lives (John)

IT'S OVER THOUGH!!!!!! I am never going to read or write again!!:spin:

Last edited:

brbstudying

HSC
Module A: In the 5 minutes reading time, I was like "Wtf?? What kind of question is this? How would I even do this??" It wasn't until writing time did it hit me that it actually fit really well with my argument xD So yeah I'm confident with Mod A~
Module B: Honestly a solid 10/20 would be God-sent at this point because it was just not good at all. I ran out of time so I had to split my paragraph into two so it didn't look like I just had one.
Module C: Super easy and fit really well with my argument.

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
Lmao I feel like such a dumbass - when I first read the question I thought it meant our texts themselves had to show an appreciation of literature, so I talked about Atwood and Lessing and how they themselves show a deep appreciation for literature, band 1 here we come :D
jk jk I also argued that they allowed audiences to appreciate literature, so hopefully that gets at least a band 2 :,D

Eh, unless they specifically asked for one speech I think it would be necessary to discuss at least two.
Why? It's not a comparative study...

Ace0804

HSC

yeah u can do that, thats what i did, but you also have to link it to the uncomfortable truth and how that evokes empathy, as they highlight the importance of literature in doing this. Cause you havn't answered the question, uncomfortable truth would be gender inequality and global inequality, yea thats wat i talked about

whatafeeling

HSC
yeah u can do that, thats what i did, but you also have to link it to the uncomfortable truth and how that evokes empathy, as they highlight the importance of literature in doing this. Cause you havn't answered the question, uncomfortable truth would be gender inequality and global inequality, yea thats wat i talked about
I did this too except I did it for Keating and Sadat since I prepared for them the most. I said that the speeches themselves are works of literature and how they evoke empathy within the audience and the uncomfortable truths are political tension and what not.
Hopefully that’ll be enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SirLaptop

HSC
Nah man I wouldn't cut our USYD and UQ so quickly, you can still get in! (Depending on the course of course xP)
Also Misfits, which eSport?
I watch League and Overwatch. Misfits own an OWL franchise - Florida Mayhem.

And the two subjects I put down at USYD was Commerce and Commerce/Law. Definitely out of the latter but the former I've got a slim chance of making it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)