English Advanced ----> Standard?? Any advice? (1 Viewer)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Schoey93 said:
English (Advanced), despite all the people who whinge about it being difficult, is not such an onerous, painstakingly hard course. Obviously, if you're having trouble with it, yeah, drop down to Standard English, but you may very well get bored out of your skull as it is significantly easier, in my opinion.

Put your decision down to this: are you going to pass Advanced English and is Standard English going to be a bludge?
No offence, but you are only in Year 9. How would you be able to understand the difficulty of the English (Advanced)?

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
NSW English is the hardest subject in the entire world!! It would be easier to learn to shoot lazers from my eyes than learning english!! ARRGG!!!!!

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
foram said:
NSW English is the hardest subject in the entire world!! It would be easier to learn to shoot lazers from my eyes than learning english!! ARRGG!!!!!
I reckon England English might be harder.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
foram said:
Try studying literary theory at a university level. Then we'll see what happens...

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
Aerath said:
You're thinking nasty things about me aren't you? ...such as envisioning my death. I'm sure you'll be soo happy to see my corpse. :rolleyes:

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
To me, english is just knowing what the examiners are looking for and giving it to them. Naturally, i'm average at english, but I do well because unlike most people, I know how to interpret questions, structure essays, analyse texts etc. Work on your essay structure and exam technique for the rest of the year and see if you improve. You should stay in advanced until your last opportunity to drop.

Like at my school, in term 4 last year we did our AOS, so any kids who wanted to change from advanced to standard or even the other way round could up until the end of the first term of year 12. If your school does not structure it like that, you still have till the end of year 11. If you still feel like you are struggling after putting in more effort then consider dropping to standard, but if I were you I wouldnt drop without knowing that there is no way you could have done better than you are.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
Schoey93 said:
English (Advanced), despite all the people who whinge about it being difficult, is not such an onerous, painstakingly hard course. Obviously, if you're having trouble with it, yeah, drop down to Standard English, but you may very well get bored out of your skull as it is significantly easier, in my opinion.

Put your decision down to this: are you going to pass Advanced English and is Standard English going to be a bludge?
I agree with lyounamu. HSC english is extremely different to year 9 english (no more themes!); there is no way that you could make a valid judgement on the difficulty of HSC english while you are in year 9.

selablad

HSC
midifile said:
To me, english is just knowing what the examiners are looking for and giving it to them. Naturally, i'm average at english, but I do well because unlike most people, I know how to interpret questions, structure essays, analyse texts etc. Work on your essay structure and exam technique for the rest of the year and see if you improve. You should stay in advanced until your last opportunity to drop.
+1

David S

HSC
i need help with english, please tell me everything i need to know

David S

HSC
all you guys here are NERDS!
get outside and get some excercise!

ASDFGHJKL:""

HSC
If you feel you should drop, then do it sooner than later.

Talk to other students who are doing advanced in year 12 and then talk to standard students that are currently in year 12.

HSC
as someone who does advanced english in a group of people doing standard, i recommend staying in advanced. the work you are doing is generally the same - you're still analysing in terms of techniques, you still do the same modules, it's just different texts/ideas you have to relate it to.

my friends that do standard wish they did advanced. i had a friend who was in advanced, who was failing. she dropped to standard, and isn't doing any better.

the advanced teachers in our school aren't the greatest in the world, but we still manage to do well and have a good grasp on our text. you're going to have to put effort in no matter what.... and as others have said, it's difficult to achieve band 5 or band 6 in standard. so i recommend staying in advanced unless you really can't handle advanced.

haiderr

Goldn_i
HSC
drop to standard after ur yearly exams, ull find it a hell of a lot more interesting, esp in yr 12. plus, if uve done adv in yr11 n do st in yr 12, u will do much better in st!

chuff14

HSC
Same subjects - Any advice?

Hi ccc123
I'm trying to decide whether to drop from 2 unit maths to General and I noticed that you did almost the exact same subjects as I'm doing and I wanted to ask you about it.

I'm doing 3 unit English, Legal Studies, PDHPE, Ancient History and 2 unit maths. Looking at the UAI you got gives me a lot of encouragement that I can still get a good UAI if I drop to General maths (I need 98 to get into the course I want)
Can you give me any tips at all about how you acheived such a great UAI with that combo of subjects? Like which subjects did you concentrate most on? How much work did you do in yr 11 and 12? Was General maths fairly easy compared with 2 unit and do you think that was a good idea for you? Anything at all you can tell me to help me decide about this would be SO helpful.:confused:

tanika

HSC
.... hmm i dunno how to work these comment things??

but yer i would defs drop a job, ive got three at the moment and im playin sport each nite i get home at 10 or so tuesdays i get home at 7.30 n then theres wkends :S

so yer i understand i should probably quit to but i need money for schoolies

:(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)