English Advanced trials help (1 Viewer)

iamorbid

HSC
I know that I will be thought of as lazy and careless but i know NOTHING of English Advanced and have the trials in 2 days. I blame it on the teacher really, there are no books to study and just a load of different handouts everytime I go to class. What should I study and where can I get the information?

All I know is that we are doing:
Frankenstein and Blade Runner
Hamlet
the 50th gate (not going to be tested on just yet)

I've read Hamlet and kind of get the themes of the book.

Again, I blame the teacher (and syllabus) for everything as I am coming 1st in all of my other subjects.
Oh and to add, year 11 was a fun year for me, never opened a book since I was told nothing will be testing from yr11 in yr12. This 1st position was the result of really tremendous work and cramming to get there.

theind1996

HSC
N/A
I know that I will be thought of as lazy and careless but i know NOTHING of English Advanced and have the trials in 2 days. I blame it on the teacher really, there are no books to study and just a load of different handouts everytime I go to class. What should I study and where can I get the information?

All I know is that we are doing:
Frankenstein and Blade Runner
Hamlet
the 50th gate (not going to be tested on just yet)

I've read Hamlet and kind of get the themes of the book.

Again, I blame the teacher (and syllabus) for everything as I am coming 1st in all of my other subjects.
Oh and to add, year 11 was a fun year for me, never opened a book since I was told nothing will be testing from yr11 in yr12. This 1st position was the result of really tremendous work and cramming to get there.
There's multiple sources through which you could have formulated your own analysis. It's your own fault really.

VegemiteLoverGB

HSC
Have the independence to go out and study for yourself. It's Year 12; the teacher isn't going to spoon feed information to you. It's not the syllabus' fault, thousands of kids do well every year with the same syllabus. It generally starts with yourself, and what you've put in.

iamorbid

HSC
Have the independence to go out and study for yourself. It's Year 12; the teacher isn't going to spoon feed information to you. It's not the syllabus' fault, thousands of kids do well every year with the same syllabus. It generally starts with yourself, and what you've put in.
study what?..I can get lists and books on techniques and whatnot but there won't be any structure to my understanding, don't blame me for having an awful teacher

asdfqwerty

HSC
But isn't it your responsibility to fix the issue months earlier and not two days before your trials?

iamorbid

HSC
But isn't it your responsibility to fix the issue months earlier and not two days before your trials?
Well I really care about my HSC and the whole class has been underperforming in English so I guess the markers will get a hint of the quality of teaching. How did you fix the issue
, 'I hate Advanced English.'?

Neptunes

HSC
How are you even in advanced without opening a book O_O.
Anyway no point of the blame game just start studying! There are plenty of resources online and you should ask your peers for help.
Pretty much 37 hours to go, you can do it!

iamorbid

HSC
How are you even in advanced without opening a book O_O.
Anyway no point of the blame game just start studying! There are plenty of resources online and you should ask your peers for help.
Pretty much 37 hours to go, you can do it!
partly because there aint any for this course; as I mentioned earlier most of the class is doing bad (40-70)

onedaysnotice

HSC
High five mate. I'm as screwed as you are xD, well for physics that is. Your english teacher is exactly the same as my phys teach. Handouts, handouts, handouts--doesn't even know the stuff she's supposed to be teaching.

Well anyways, try looking in the resources section for what people wrote in their essays. Helped me a lot for Romulus. Just add whatever you know as well and don't plagiarise.

Oh there's also many books and study guides for the various texts in adv. english. Just look around in the newsagencies and book stores. Good luck to us both! Currently writing my terrible essays ahahahhahaha

Last edited:

iamorbid

HSC
I'd appreciate it if you give me links, tips or attachments relevant to my situation and not repeating the same thing over and over that I should have made an effort to get the stuff I need elsewhere.

avro

HSC
For Hamlet: Get your theme, get your quote, get a technique. This is probably all I can suggest 2 days before.

iamorbid

HSC
Thank you kind mod, will go through them to get a better idea of the themes. Was looking for something more 'authentic' though, not comments on text, something with facts and stuff I should understand for year 12, more of a checklist I should go through and learn everything I should (like language techniques, camera techniques and the meaning created by them/how they interrelate)

iamorbid

HSC
For Hamlet: Get your theme, get your quote, get a technique. This is probably all I can suggest 2 days before.
I know I will not achieve my full potential for this exam but I'll try my best, just getting prepared with info for the next exam..the big one

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Thank you kind mod, will go through them to get a better idea of the themes. Was looking for something more 'authentic' though, not comments on text, something with facts and stuff I should understand for year 12, more of a checklist I should go through and learn everything I should (like language techniques, camera techniques and the meaning created by them/how they interrelate)
The resource section will have more of that sort of stuff. There are also general threads on the topics as well, which you can find in their specific subforum:

http://community.boredofstudies.org/forumdisplay.php?f=828

http://community.boredofstudies.org/forumdisplay.php?f=829

onedaysnotice

HSC
What you're looking for will most definitely need to be paid for (e.g. excel). Not often is there notes in that format that is completely free. If there is, it'd most likely be in sparknotes and the resource section which zero has already linked you to. ctrl/cmd-f is your friend there.

Else, go out and buy study guides and revise in a month books, and hopefully you can find some pertinent to your texts and that you are able to learn everything by monday.

Last edited:

SunnyScience

HSC
If I was in your position, I'm pretty sure I would die out of nowhere.

Sore Abs

HSC
N/A
Dat logic.
This late in the year, you can't point the blame at anyone but yourself.
If you were aware of the issue since the beginning of year 12, then it was your responsibility to do extra work outside of class and mend the issues yourself. That's what would set you apart from the rest of your class. The fact that you're in the exact same boat as them shows that you've got the exact same mindset - which I deduce is not a positive, nor active one.
I don't mean to be disparaging, but it's the simple truth.

iamorbid

HSC
Dat logic.
This late in the year, you can't point the blame at anyone but yourself.
If you were aware of the issue since the beginning of year 12, then it was your responsibility to do extra work outside of class and mend the issues yourself. That's what would set you apart from the rest of your class. The fact that you're in the exact same boat as them shows that you've got the exact same mindset - which I deduce is not a positive, nor active one.
I don't mean to be disparaging, but it's the simple truth.
Break my pate across? Pluck off my beard and blow it in my face? Tweak me by the nose? Give me the lie i' th' throat as deep as to the lungs? Who does me this?
Ha!
'Swounds, I should take it, for it cannot be but I am pigeon-livered and lack gall.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)