English Area of Study to be dropped (1 Viewer)

photastic

HSC
Tbh, I liked AOS because I always felt paper 2 was harder with the 3 essays otherwise it's not even English its just Essay studies. But seriously, the entire subject is useless anyways.

turnerloos

TAFE Executive Officer
HSC
BOSTES are a bunch of clueless fucks

the fact that English is the compulsory subject in a STEM dominated society says absolutely enough.
clueless fucks? the only fucks they're giving are the ones up your ass during your hsc exams

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
BOSTES are a bunch of clueless fucks

the fact that English is the compulsory subject in a STEM dominated society says absolutely enough.
We live in a country that has English as the national language so it makes sense to have it as a compulsory subject for the HSC.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
But seriously how many people here have actually been taught how write a formal letter ?

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
How about they bring back OC/ IQ style Q's to test comprehension and advanced English words ?

They can also then get rid of 2 essays

AntarcticMonkeys

HSC
They should replace AOS with 20 mark multiple choice grammar

also smh at Bostes bc schools had to buy copies of the texts only to not use them after like 2 years :/

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Something like that UMAT sections 1 and 2 would test English skills pretty well
Then people will be complaining about how we won't use those "complicated" words or will need such logic skills Lolol

Soulful

HSC Hipster
HSC
We live in a country that has English as the national language so it makes sense to have it as a compulsory subject for the HSC.
Agreed. In any case, they can't make English optional without fundamentally changing how the HSC works. I think English is probably the best yardstick for scaling there is lol. All for the new syllabus change however - though I doubt this will change anything. People will still complain about English lol

How about they bring back OC/ IQ style Q's to test comprehension and advanced English words ?

They can also then get rid of 2 essays
Sounds like a SAT test. Heard horror stories from my US cousin about how it has become nothing more than a test to see how many obscure words you can remember. Tbh I'd rather the two essays HAHA

laters

HSC
N/A
Should they just change it to make General or 2U Maths compulsory akin to the current Standard/Advanced English courses being compulsory? If they were to make them scale the same just like they do with standard/advanced (although the aligning is obviously different) that might be enough to encourage people opting for general maths to reconsider 2U Maths. Just my two cents.

My two cents

HSC
I actually liked section 1 of paper 1 as it assesses individuals natural ability at English rather how well they can rote learn an essay: I would like to see a Module being scrapped in replace for a section that requires students to write an essay on a text (or multiple texts) so that BOSTES can reward individuals who are talented/worked hard to become talented rather than those students whose Tutors are talented.

tigerian

HSC
N/A
its not going . The article got it wrong . it is already included in 2016 HSC

crowley926

HSC
I would like to see a Module being scrapped in replace for a section that requires students to write an essay on a text (or multiple texts) so that BOSTES can reward individuals who are talented/worked hard to become talented rather than those students whose Tutors are talented.
People could still find ways to get tutored/prepare for that section couldn't they

Yeungster

HSC
Why can't the BOS just continue the tradition of NAPLAN style multiple choice and grammar? That would solve a lot of headache.

Evertone

HSC
What is everyone least favourite/ favourite part of HSC English? Is it actually the Area of Study?
Module C by far. Absolutely deplored that topic.

There is too much duplication between the three modules. The excessive focus on context, values and purpose is not right.

They should replace the Area of Study with a core topic on linguistics -- which should be a senior version of NAPLAN's language based questions.

Module A should be replaced with a topic on literature, with a special focus on cultural significance and strong historical study / links.

Module C should be scrapped.

And Module B is fine - it should stay the same.

That way Paper 2 will only have two modules. This will allow the history and culture focus of Module A to be padded out in much more depth, so that it becomes more obvious who is simply rote learning and who has taken a real appreciation come exam time.

That we have 2 hours to write about 3 modules is an absolute joke and a complete insult to the integrity of the literature we are supposed to be "studying".

40 minutes is the sweet spot for fakers - those who simply memorised their essays are forced to sustain their response cohesively after this threshold. It is a very effective discriminator and one that works very well for Extension English.

I refer others to this post for a reminder on what the purpose of English should be.

The purpose is to expose you to culture and values. If you bother to read the annotations that people from the Board write, you'll see they make note of the cultural significance of the texts and what value students will see in that text to enlighten their own understanding of their own culture - their own world.

My view is - the Board's intention does not come to fruition because teachers fail to bring this idea to life out apathy - either for their job or classes. It may just come down to incompetence. Usually, it's the teacher who chose the text and a select few who share their interest in the text that most successfully expose their students to these values and ideas.

The syllabus' purpose is not a titular or idealistic philosophical standpoint. It may sound absurd, but if we've got a generation of students who are not aware of these values, or their own culture, the notion of a cultural and sociological dystopia becomes a real prospect. It is one I actually find quite perturbing.

With that said - it is increasingly clear a dissonance exists between the syllabus' naive intentions and what actually occurs in classrooms across NSW. The texts aren't appreciated for what they are.

The point is lost when these texts are drowned in the miasma of competition and the sort of mechanical, robotic studying that has to go into preparing for exams.

I haven't had the time to read through posts - so I'm not sure if I've just repeated a view similar to mine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)