English: Avanced or Standard (1 Viewer)

Jianna

im doing advanced english at the moment and don't enjoy it at all and im thinking of dropping to standard for yr 12.

heaps of people, including teachers have advised me not to drop it because standard doesnt scale as high as advanced BUT a lot of people have also told me advanced and standard scale equally in the HSC.

am very, very confused!

can someone clear the air for me?

Antwan23q

God
HSC
post in the standard english topic, there is a whole thread on it

Kulazzi

HSC
i think adv. and standard scale the same but if ur doing extension, then it will scale up. That's what I heard anyways. :)

Jianna

the thread in standard english confused me .. some people say it scales the same and some say you do better in advanced ..

does anyone actually know how uai scaling is worked out for english advanced and standard?

Estel

Tutor
HSC
Both are scaled as one course.
A raw mark in standard english would get you the same scaled mark as the same raw mark in advanced english would.
The difference lies in that Paper 2 is moderated against results in AOS, such that "raw" marks are changed to reflect how both candidatures performed in the common paper.

Don't base decision on scaling.

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
I was in the exact situation as you. I wanted to go to standard, but i found out that to get over 80 was nigh on impossible. Plus, you do pretty much the same work.

Don't drop it...if your ok at it you should be doing it.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Estel is correct with regard to scaling.

You should choose the course that is most suited to your abilities.

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
Jianna said:
im doing advanced english at the moment and don't enjoy it at all and im thinking of dropping to standard for yr 12.

heaps of people, including teachers have advised me not to drop it because standard doesnt scale as high as advanced BUT a lot of people have also told me advanced and standard scale equally in the HSC.

am very, very confused!

If ou do not like the advanced course you may not greatly like the standard course.
Area of study is the same and many other things are similiar

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Depends on how good u r @ english, if u do well in advanced stay there, if u are struggling drop down, coz if u r struggling u r betta off doing the standard course neva base on scalling alone!

ElGronko

Not premium
HSC
The fact of the matter is, english standed gets scalled down, and english advanced gets scaled up.

ie. english standed scaled down by 6.7
and english advanced scaled up by 7.2

impulse_17

HSC
the thing is, if you hate english, you're probably going to hate it at whatever level you do it at
at least if you do advanced you will probably be in a class with more competant english students and thus have more motivation to do better
i know they say english advanced and standard scale the same, but i think if you put similar marks in SAM, you will end up with very different results
also i think only one person has achieved band 6 in advanced in the 3 yrs of the new hsc
i do advanced english and in my opinion, the most difficult area of english is AOS, which is common to both standard and advanced anyway.

ElGronko

Not premium
HSC
impulse_17 said:
also i think only one person has achieved band 6 in advanced in the 3 yrs of the new hsc
don't you mean in standed?
Coz last year, 7% of all students who did english advanced got band 6.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Egronk said:
The fact of the matter is, english standed gets scalled down, and english advanced gets scaled up.
Not true. If you read the rest of the report, you will find out that they are scaled as a single course.

The statistics for the courses are separated in the report.

It just so happens that Standard is generally taken by weaker students who tend to score lower scaled marks, and Advanced is generally taken by stronger students who tend to score higher scaled marks. This is not a product of the scaling, because identical raw marks in Standard and Advanced will be transformed to the same scaled mark.

glycerine said:
Umm, when I put my marks in SAM, it scaled down. ?
You're comparing aligned marks with scaled marks, but the two are incomparable.

Just because a Board aligned mark of 80 equates to a scaled mark of 60 doesn't mean the mark was 'scaled down'. Aligned marks (the marks you enter into SAM) are never actually scaled. Scaling is performed on your raw marks. (See this flowchart for clarification.)

Aligned marks can only be compared with other aligned marks from the same course (in any year).

Scaled marks can be compared with any other scaled marks from the same year and with raw marks from the same course in the same year.

skulduggery

Techno rocker
HSC
At my school we were never given the choice of Standard. In the words of the infamous English head, "You can only do Advanced. If you don't like English, you shouldn't be at this school." Ha.

So how different is Standard to Advanced?

withoutmercy

english adv

Jianna said:

am very, very confused!

The only thing wif english advanced is that it has a band 6 and standard only had up to band five, i dont think they are scalled any differently though.

ElGronko

Not premium
HSC
Lazarus said:
Not true. If you read the rest of the report, you will find out that they are scaled as a single course.

The statistics for the courses are separated in the report.

It just so happens that Standard is generally taken by weaker students who tend to score lower scaled marks, and Advanced is generally taken by stronger students who tend to score higher scaled marks. This is not a product of the scaling, because identical raw marks in Standard and Advanced will be transformed to the same scaled mark.

You're comparing aligned marks with scaled marks, but the two are incomparable.

Just because a Board aligned mark of 80 equates to a scaled mark of 60 doesn't mean the mark was 'scaled down'. Aligned marks (the marks you enter into SAM) are never actually scaled. Scaling is performed on your raw marks. (See this flowchart for clarification.)

Aligned marks can only be compared with other aligned marks from the same course (in any year).

Scaled marks can be compared with any other scaled marks from the same year and with raw marks from the same course in the same year.
yeah, sorry, your right, my bad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)