english becomes mechanical (1 Viewer)

vanush

kdslkf
HSC
ScottyG said:
exploration is encouraged at a classroom level.
I disagree.

In class, I dislike when people when they come up some interpretation which is most likely WRONG in all aspects, and the teacher has to waste time patronizing them. It sucks.

Monstar

HSC
I discovered this a long time ago.. theres no point risking your hsc trying to come up with something original, What if the teacher marking it doesnt agree? Then you're screwed. Its best to just agree with the teachers, write down whatever they say and throw in a few quotes backing up THERE ideas and opinions.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
Monstar said:
I discovered this a long time ago.. theres no point risking your hsc trying to come up with something original, What if the teacher marking it doesnt agree? Then you're screwed. Its best to just agree with the teachers, write down whatever they say and throw in a few quotes backing up THERE ideas and opinions.
as long as u back up ur thesis with enough textual evidence, they shouldn't mark you down, no matter if they don't like it or not.

but if ur completely off on a different tangent, then they have the capacity to mark you down for it.

All in all, support ur arguement with enough textual references to gain the marks you want.

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
vanush said:
I disagree.

In class, I dislike when people when they come up some interpretation which is most likely WRONG in all aspects, and the teacher has to waste time patronizing them. It sucks.

Enjoy asserting yourself to be above others?

vanush

kdslkf
HSC
No. I dislike wasting time. (The irony of being on this site kills me)

There's a difference between a valid interpretation and nonsense.

tobiascockerill

HSC
With this thread, i was suggesting that all this 'backing up your thesis with textual evidence allows you to be 'creative' ' stuff is merely disguising the fact that the english markers and system dosent want original ideas. if something is original, it should'nt have any evidence, it has come out of the deep blue.

vanush

kdslkf
HSC
As I see it, the courses in their current incarnation are at best a compromise between the development of English Skills (grammar & expression) and the study of English literature (textual analysis & discussion).

In my personal opinion, they should split them up, especially for those (god help them) who have absolutely no interest in reading/literature.

if something is original, it should'nt have any evidence.
That's silly. Here's my new interpretation: Hamlet is a homo. Are you suggesting I get marks for this without evidence?

You can be creative on more than one level. Use an idea, and write it in a different way. That's how people get Band 6's.

Last edited:

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
vanush said:
That's silly. Here's my new interpretation: Hamlet is a homo. Are you suggesting I get marks for this without evidence?

You can be creative on more than one level. Use an idea, and write it in a different way. That's how people get Band 6's.
The man has a point.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)