English Belonging (1 Viewer)

tomp1612

HSC
Have 2 ready imo
yea i'll do that but ive seen the 2011 and 2010 papers and they only say to use one related text and my teachers made us do essays with two related texts so you can see my confusion

inJust

HSC
Have 2 in case they ask for two. But be prepared to use 1 as well.

theind1996

HSC
N/A
yea i'll do that but ive seen the 2011 and 2010 papers and they only say to use one related text and my teachers made us do essays with two related texts so you can see my confusion
But they can always specify 2, and you'd want to be prepared then.

Furthermore, if you have a question asking for "1 or more" related texts, and you're a quick writer and/or want to show knowledge of different texts, you can always do 2.

tomp1612

HSC
But they can always specify 2, and you'd want to be prepared then.

Furthermore, if you have a question asking for "1 or more" related texts, and you're a quick writer and/or want to show knowledge of different texts, you can always do 2.
so even if they ask for ONE in caps as they do sometimes can I still put down two and wont get marked down or something like that?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
so even if they ask for ONE in caps as they do sometimes can I still put down two and wont get marked down or something like that?
No, if they ask for one, use one.

If they ask for at least one, you can use two, but you're better off just using one.

However, you should still prepare a second text, just in case they ask for two. It's unlikely, but you need to be ready for it.

theind1996

HSC
N/A
No, if they ask for one, use one.

If they ask for at least one, you can use two, but you're better off just using one.

However, you should still prepare a second text, just in case they ask for two. It's unlikely, but you need to be ready for it.
I agree with this in most scenarios, but if you're a fast writer (1200+ words in 40 mins), should you do 1 more paragraph on a 3rd poem (if your prescribed is poetry), or on your 2nd related?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I agree with this in most scenarios, but if you're a fast writer (1200+ words in 40 mins), should you do 1 more paragraph on a 3rd poem (if your prescribed is poetry), or on your 2nd related?
I'd say the third poem, but realistically, I'd probably be aiming for more depth with the ones you've already got.

nifkeh

HSC
I'd say the third poem, but realistically, I'd probably be aiming for more depth with the ones you've already got.
agree, it's quality not quantity. you have a benefit of writing fast, but that doesn't necessarily mean write more

and your own school internals can ask for a reference to "one or more" related texts

FraZzZz

HSC
My general idea is that you should have 2 related texts for Paper 1 (being common, the competition lifts due to the advanced candidates)

Go with 1 related text for each of the others in Paper 2.

timeslowsdown

Everything for the Lord
HSC
N/A
I've got 3 solid ones and a 4th that I just skim over. Have more than 2 because your texts may not be pertinent to the question. So make sure you have 3 that are different imo

madharris

HSC
N/A
Most teachers say to have 3 ready
I think they say have 3 ready just incase one is more suitable to use than the other.
They will never say "Use THREE related texts"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)