English Depression (1 Viewer)

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
For a bit of context
- My trial marks i managed to get them pretty decent which saved my rank a bit (except mod C)
- My final rank (havent gotten it back but by estimate is still quite lower compared to my rank at the start of the year). This is bc i messed up one of my other assessments.
- Internal mark for my rank based of last years cohort could be around 90-93 but this is optimistic seeing that last years cohort were very very strong at english. Although our teachers did say this year is good too.

Basically I haven't been doing as much english after trials till recently so im a bit behind. The issue is with the essays and pieces that I have to memorise.
Iv'e been doing some massive changes to my essay especially for Module A. The issue is with feedback.

Im gonna be honest. My teacher should not be teaching. I have self learnt, research and done almost everything by myself. Im not gonna start complaining about this but basically the feedback I get is useless. Its not at all helpful, and is very elementary. I just don't bother sending them feedback because its just a waste of time. Thats the only way to describe it. The teacher doesn't comment on anything important on my essays, i doubt they could write their own essay. Even when it comes to teaching- its just literally repeating whats on the board and it has made me hate english. Every english lesson this year has been a waste of time. My class's performance has significantly worsened compared to the other classes in the grade. All the other classes have proper teachers who can actually teach, and clearly they have been getting good marks. I asked the other teachers for feedback and i was legit just turned down they all say no i hate it bc they are so busy with their classes and just ask me to get feedback from my class teacher even tho he knows how bad my teacher is. Its annoying because someone from the top ext english class told her teacher (this is a diff one to the one who rejected to help me above) how bad our teacher is and how my class was complaining (this was at the start of the year) and he legit said that he knows. So its not like they are unaware of how bad my class is they just decided not to do anything about it which is okay ig because teacher shortage schools dont want to fire teachers. Last year uptil the end of t4 we an amazing english teacher and so I was actually motivated to do well in english. But this year i really just didn't do as much as i would have if I had proper support. Getting peer feedback is not the same as getting qualified teacher feedback which everyone deserves. I could on about this for the next decade but imma stop. You get my point. I still think I put in some proper effort which helped me do decent in my assessments as well as getting external help sometimes.

The issue is that now with preparing for externals. I think I should be quite okay for my common module essay (since it was with my other teacher who could teach and ive rewritten it since then) as well as my module b essay which im almost done improving. however for module A i wanted to do a complete revamp because my current one is not very adaptable with the themes that our school told us to use and prioritise. I have a bunch of exemplar essays for module A so I can use those as reference.
I do have 2 pieces for module C but it these still need quite a lot of work. Its scary af too.

HSC is in 26 days from tomorrow. I can't start memorising because I really need to fix them up, make them more sophisticated and do stuff like integrating quotes better, cutting down and just final polishing stuff before I can start memorising. I've gotten good at adapting essays which is good but I don't want to memorise mid essays for the HSC. I don't want to take them into the exam if they aren't as good as I want them to be. I really want to make them better but it sucks that literally I have barely gotten any teacher feedback on them because of my situation. Like its got everything it needs context purpose form analysis blah blah blah but i think a lot of it could be improved, espcially the cohesion of my writing.
Its really stressful because time is running out and I have so much to do especially with my other subjects. Im scared I won't have enough time for memorising if i spend too long on it.

Ik its a very odd situation but can anyone provide any advice of how i should appraoch this and what i should do. I just don't know how or what to do at this point. earlier in the year i had a pretty high mark goal for english adv bc my earlier teacher motivated me but now im stressing that i won't even be prepared enough for the hsc to achieve that.
Any feedback on what I should do would be appreciated.

I keep regretting not starting like two weeks earlier as well but that’s my fault i just hate English so much rn

Last edited:

carrotsss

HSC
i don’t have too much advice to give but usually when I’m trying to perfect essays I just go through sentence by sentence and try to get every single one perfect until I’m happy with it. also other teachers might be willing to give you feedback (just say u want “another set of eyes” or smth), I’ve done it before but idk if your teachers would do it.

that’s a really rough situation though, your english teacher makes a really big difference and it’s honestly quite impressive that you’ve managed to do so well so far in spite of having such a useless teacher. if you can make up a good mod A essay I think you’ll be good, memorising each essay thoroughly won’t take longer than a day at worst (especially if you’ve been working on it a lot recently and know it in and out) and at least in my experience I’ve found I pretty much know all my mod C stuff off by heart without effort bc it’s a lot easier to memorise creative stuff. so it shouldn’t take longer than 5 days to memorise everything before the hsc, which means you’ve pretty much got 3 weeks to polish all of ur essays until then which should be enough to do very well even if you do have to do stuff for other subjects (also honestly given the marks you’re getting up to with 4u and presumably other subjects you can probably afford to do more english bc you’re at diminishing returns). ik it’s still a tough situation but it’s still definitely possible

you’ve got this :)

howcanibesmarter

HSC
lmao it took me 1 entire wk to fix all mine (currently working on the very last paragraph), but all i did was just ask for state ranking essays, took some good ideas, and tailored these sentences to fit my quotes. I honestly think thats the best way to do it, unless you have plenty of time. (I decided to fully rewrite common mod, took me about 8hrs, so I wouldn't bother unless you write pretty fast)

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
For a bit of context
- My trial marks i managed to get them pretty decent which saved my rank a bit (except mod C)
- My final rank (havent gotten it back but by estimate is still quite lower compared to my rank at the start of the year). This is bc i messed up one of my other assessments.
- Internal mark for my rank based of last years cohort could be around 90-93 but this is optimistic seeing that last years cohort were very very strong at english. Although our teachers did say this year is good too.

Basically I haven't been doing as much english after trials till recently so im a bit behind. The issue is with the essays and pieces that I have to memorise.
Iv'e been doing some massive changes to my essay especially for Module A. The issue is with feedback.

Im gonna be honest. My teacher should not be teaching. I have self learnt, research and done almost everything by myself. Im not gonna start complaining about this but basically the feedback I get is useless. Its not at all helpful, and is very elementary. I just don't bother sending them feedback because its just a waste of time. Thats the only way to describe it. The teacher doesn't comment on anything important on my essays, i doubt they could write their own essay. Even when it comes to teaching- its just literally repeating whats on the board and it has made me hate english. Every english lesson this year has been a waste of time. My class's performance has significantly worsened compared to the other classes in the grade. All the other classes have proper teachers who can actually teach, and clearly they have been getting good marks. I asked the other teachers for feedback and i was legit just turned down they all say no i hate it bc they are so busy with their classes and just ask me to get feedback from my class teacher even tho he knows how bad my teacher is. Its annoying because someone from the top ext english class told her teacher (this is a diff one to the one who rejected to help me above) how bad our teacher is and how my class was complaining (this was at the start of the year) and he legit said that he knows. So its not like they are unaware of how bad my class is they just decided not to do anything about it which is okay ig because teacher shortage schools dont want to fire teachers. Last year uptil the end of t4 we an amazing english teacher and so I was actually motivated to do well in english. But this year i really just didn't do as much as i would have if I had proper support. Getting peer feedback is not the same as getting qualified teacher feedback which everyone deserves. I could on about this for the next decade but imma stop. You get my point. I still think I put in some proper effort which helped me do decent in my assessments as well as getting external help sometimes.

The issue is that now with preparing for externals. I think I should be quite okay for my common module essay (since it was with my other teacher who could teach and ive rewritten it since then) as well as my module b essay which im almost done improving. however for module A i wanted to do a complete revamp because my current one is not very adaptable with the themes that our school told us to use and prioritise. I have a bunch of exemplar essays for module A so I can use those as reference.
I do have 2 pieces for module C but it these still need quite a lot of work. Its scary af too.

HSC is in 26 days from tomorrow. I can't start memorising because I really need to fix them up, make them more sophisticated and do stuff like integrating quotes better, cutting down and just final polishing stuff before I can start memorising. I've gotten good at adapting essays which is good but I don't want to memorise mid essays for the HSC. I don't want to take them into the exam if they aren't as good as I want them to be. I really want to make them better but it sucks that literally I have barely gotten any teacher feedback on them because of my situation. Like its got everything it needs context purpose form analysis blah blah blah but i think a lot of it could be improved, espcially the cohesion of my writing.
Its really stressful because time is running out and I have so much to do especially with my other subjects. Im scared I won't have enough time for memorising if i spend too long on it.

Ik its a very odd situation but can anyone provide any advice of how i should appraoch this and what i should do. I just don't know how or what to do at this point. earlier in the year i had a pretty high mark goal for english adv bc my earlier teacher motivated me but now im stressing that i won't even be prepared enough for the hsc to achieve that.

I keep regretting not starting like two weeks earlier as well but that’s my fault i just hate English so much rn
I'm sorry you're going through all this bro :(

Just remember that you still have more than enough time before HSC to get on top of English - I'll be here trying my best for that too if you ever need to talk

Also I may point out that you know what you're doing, even if you don't feel like you currently have the essays ready and polished you know exactly what you need to do: you have the exemplars ready to use as inspiration and you know what focus areas and modules you need to work on. From an outsider perspective it's not all bad, and we all think that you're more than capable of picking it up and doing well regardless of your teacher. It just sucks that you've had your marks drop because of this situation, but it happens sometimes.

You can do this - and reach out for help if you need :)

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
its so bad i keep getting depressed at the fact that my plan was to finish all my essays by week 7 😭 so i could chill and memorise for longer
now i have to work super super hard and grind it out it sucks

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
lmao it took me 1 entire wk to fix all mine (currently working on the very last paragraph), but all i did was just ask for state ranking essays, took some good ideas, and tailored these sentences to fit my quotes. I honestly think thats the best way to do it, unless you have plenty of time. (I decided to fully rewrite common mod, took me about 8hrs, so I wouldn't bother unless you write pretty fast)
i must have missed this post but yeah im gonna probably do that
ill def spend this week grinding out english and update u guys at the end of this week
even tho i have all the final school events going on ill try to find time and just finish it cuz i have no more time to procrastinate
it just sucks that i had so much time and i decided to not touch english- but honestly i should be looking at the positives. This term i haven't wasted time tho i spent most of that time on other stubjects. The essays I have rn aren't completely bad one just needs reworking and two need polishing (altho im a bit screwd for mod C), and ill have enough time to memorise hopefully. Ill be fine

...xD

HSC
For a bit of context

I feel like since you're so close to the hsc, you could go find the top private english tutor and tell them to give you immediate feedback. Hopefully they're confident because of their credentials and all and are able to give you a sense of direction and hope, as well as feedback ofc. Its the last sprint, so your wallet shouldn't suffer that much...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)