English Essay (1 Viewer)

pony_magician

townie for worst user
HSC
Re: The Thread that never Ends

yeah something like that is good, but don't say 'sheer overall power' it sounds dumb

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Re: The Thread that never Ends

So you mean something like: "The end result is... *talk about whether the good overpowers the bad*" just at the end, but not say... at the beginning?

Or do I sneakily put it in and say something like "However, there are detriments to Pope's preference of poetry over prose - *list them here*, but despite these small faults, they do not take away from the sheer overall power of the poem. The poem itself is still astounding, elegant and refined - and though 'not free from faults', it is still not 'too vain to mend'."

And then get extra brownie points for quoting.

So basically put it in as the goody-goody fluff sentence at the end of the poem that leaves the reader/marker happy

Yeah, that could work. Good suggestion.
Well, I mean, it's not fluff. It's a core part of your essay, and it's where students lose the most marks.

But yes, sort of.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
So keep an undertone, but answer the question mainly.

mmkay

Also, I'm not sure if "I don't understand this section of the text" is good enough to make as a point.

So as stated:

Some few in that, but numbers err in this,
Ten censure wrong for one who writes amiss;
A fool might once himself alone expose,
Now one in verse makes many more in prose.

i have no idea what that means

so can i construe that as "pope using poetry means clarity is lost, see this example: *copy paste here*. the meaning here is not clear" and then something about me trying to fail paraphrase it

so something like... some people believe that, but we're not sure exactly about how many. ten will judge wrong for one who writes badly, but a fool might... ??? ??? ???

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
So keep an undertone, but answer the question mainly.

mmkay

Also, I'm not sure if "I don't understand this section of the text" is good enough to make as a point.

So as stated:

Some few in that, but numbers err in this,
Ten censure wrong for one who writes amiss;
A fool might once himself alone expose,
Now one in verse makes many more in prose.

i have no idea what that means

so can i construe that as "pope using poetry means clarity is lost, see this example: *copy paste here*. the meaning here is not clear" and then something about me trying to fail paraphrase it

so something like... some people believe that, but we're not sure exactly about how many. ten will judge wrong for one who writes badly, but a fool might... ??? ??? ???
You can definitely talk about clarity. That's one of the primary criticisms in my opinion, that the meaning can often get lost behind flowery language. However, DONT say that the meaning is unclear in that spot just based on your own opinion. Unless you can find an academic source that also agrees with you that the meaning is lost or confusing at that point, DONT say it. I can't stress that enough. Just because you don't think it's clear, doesn't mean it's not. After all you 'could' just be stupid, the marker doesn't know. You need to support your statement.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Hmm, I'll be sneaky then and give easier examples like...

"You then whose judgement the right course would steer, / Know well each ancient’s proper character "

which can be paraphrased as 'if you want to judge correctly, or, on "the right course", know each character well'. And then say 'consider similarly lines 5-8' or something.

Good? Bad?

I did the search on the Library database thing and got three articles that seemed useful.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Hmm, I'll be sneaky then and give easier examples like...

"You then whose judgement the right course would steer, / Know well each ancient’s proper character "

which can be paraphrased as 'if you want to judge correctly, or, on "the right course", know each character well'. And then say 'consider similarly lines 5-8' or something.

Good? Bad?

I did the search on the Library database thing and got three articles that seemed useful.
It's proof by comparison rather than proof by evidence. Which isn't ideal. You need that scholarly justification.

How many words? Also, three references is basically nothing.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
It's proof by comparison rather than proof by evidence. Which isn't ideal. You need that scholarly justification.

How many words? Also, three references is basically nothing.
True, but time is... not exactly on my side. It's due Monday.

And it's 1750 words, and three articles. We have to mention at least two - that's in the assignment.

However, I haven't read my three articles - one of them is called "Imagery and Method" so, I may, hopefully, find some good stuff there I can quote.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
True, but time is... not exactly on my side. It's due Monday.

And it's 1750 words, and three articles. We have to mention at least two - that's in the assignment.

However, I haven't read my three articles - one of them is called "Imagery and Method" so, I may, hopefully, find some good stuff there I can quote.
If you want it in perspective, for my HD 2000 word essay I had thirty references. You need to be critically backing up everything your saying as your own opinion means nothing otherwise.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Hmm, maybe in later years. I think this assignment is just for us to make our own opinion - and then to back some of it up with sources, or argue against something.

It is a first year course, after all.

but point noted

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Hmm, maybe in later years. I think this assignment is just for us to make our own opinion - and then to back some of it up with sources, or argue against something.

It is a first year course, after all.

but point noted
My example was from first year.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well, I just realised that if I did some reading... my task gets a lot easier.

So like I started reading 'imagery and method' and the person there talked about the sexual metaphor in the poem. There's one paragraph done already - I just have to base what I write around that :p

hahahahaha

so that's why you have 30 references you smart smart person you

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Well, I just realised that if I did some reading... my task gets a lot easier.

So like I started reading 'imagery and method' and the person there talked about the sexual metaphor in the poem. There's one paragraph done already - I just have to base what I write around that :p

hahahahaha

so that's why you have 30 references you smart smart person you
There you go. People make things too hard for themselves by trying to write the essay and then fit the references in later. English doesn't work like that, or at least not well anyway. Do the readings, find your ideas, and the essay should follow.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
There you go. People make things too hard for themselves by trying to write the essay and then fit the references in later. English doesn't work like that, or at least not well anyway. Do the readings, find your ideas, and the essay should follow.
I think you just helped me win English

*bows and worships*

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Funny because I even said to myself a few hours ago: "Stuff reading this, I'll write my essay and then just add in the references later just to boost my argument".

oh how stupid was i

(very)

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Think of it this way, the articles wouldn't be published if they didn't provide ideas and insights.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)