• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

English Help (1 Viewer)

Noobtron

HSC
What should i be looking at doing by answering this question:

Examine how Death of a Salesman and American Beauty explore the concerns of the American Dream. You should refer to how composers make use of techniques in order to help shape and convey meaning

How should i start a plan. Do i just randomly start looking for techniques?
How would this be structured?
I have no idea, the questions so vague.

Help would be greatly appreciated

jest

HSC
Noobtron said:
What should i be looking at doing by answering this question:

Examine how Death of a Salesman and American Beauty explore the concerns of the American Dream. You should refer to how composers make use of techniques in order to help shape and convey meaning

How should i start a plan. Do i just randomly start looking for techniques?
How would this be structured?
I have no idea, the questions so vague.

Help would be greatly appreciated
first know what the concerns of the american dream are, then look for the techniques within the text that show those concerns

Noobtron

HSC
thanks, so for example the pursuit of material possessions and then you look for techniques are used to show this then you put in how a technique shows this theme in DOAS

jest

HSC
Noobtron said:
thanks, so for example the pursuit of material possessions and then you look for techniques are used to show this then you put in how a technique shows this theme in DOAS
yep :)

Noobtron

HSC
By concerns does it mean problems of the american dream or components of the american dream

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
tamaranadine said:
by concerns it means the components of the american dream.

the other advanced class at my school is doing the american dream. sucked in to them. We get to do the individual, yes!
What text(s) are you guys using?

SyCoTiC

HSC
Usually there's a general structure as to how to analyse this. Here's just a brief scaffold:

1. Establish your thesis (Your questions is pretty broad so you can make up any thesis as long as you justify it in your response, remember that you shouldn't just regurgitate the question but actually come up with something new)
2. Identify techniques used to back up your thesis.
3. Address the effects and impacts of how these techniques have been used and why the composer has decided to use them.

Make sure your response is structured in a very clear cut manner. I'd say you address one theme per paragraph with the techniques that highlight these themes. Usually you'd have about 2 to 3 per response. =) Hope that helps!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)