english + history skills in other subjects (1 Viewer)

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
Re: how many units do you plan to do for the hsc?

lyounamu said:
yeah.... making 4 unit compulsory is not a way to go. But they actually do it in some Asian countries... like Korea...
Oh God 4 unit compulsary. I'd die, or maybe just leave the country.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

Sarah182 said:
Oh God 4 unit compulsary. I'd die, or maybe just leave the country.
I am serious... the level of Mathematics in Korea is just like 4 Unit Mathematics. I am pretty sure it is similar in China, Japan and in other South-east-Asia countries.

I can say that I left Korea because of education reasons. I was starting to fall down in all my subjects in Korea except Mathematics and English where I basically topped my class but failing in some subjects in Korea only means "FAIL", resulting in a crap uni course with crap salary determined by that course. That's very generalised life in Korea.

selablad

HSC

lyounamu said:
I am serious... the level of Mathematics in Korea is just like 4 Unit Mathematics. I am pretty sure it is similar in China, Japan and in other South-east-Asia countries...I was starting to fall down in all my subjects in Korea except Mathematics and English where I basically topped my class but failing in some subjects in Korea only means "FAIL", resulting in a crap uni course with crap salary determined by that course. That's very generalised life in Korea.
Wow, that's pretty full-on. So by the level of mathematics, do you mean that that is the standard for *everyone*??
Wait, that was a stupid question. That was the entire point of your post. Sorry. It just seems so odd, because I can't imagine many kids in Australia being able to pass "4U Maths". I suppose if you have been learning at that level from baby school then it wouldn't seem all that odd at all, it would just seem like normal school? I remember when I first came here (from Africa) I thought that school in Australia was totally different, way too easy in "core" areas (maths/science/english) but way ahead in other areas (having traineeships and such, ie alternative learning thingies). But I mean, that's pretty weird still, the FAIL! thing.

lyounamu said:
I can say that I left Korea because of education reasons.
Okay then. I have a feeling I had something significant to say about this, but to be honest I have totally forgotten.

Actually, I have forgotten the entire point of this post. Reading over it it seems like a lot of rambling rubbish.

^^please ignore this random person!

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

According to the Internal Study, Korea is ranked either first or second in maths and first in science in the world. From this, you can see how crazy the education system is. I spent 13 years living in Korea and most of kids in my class attended tutoring from kindergarten (ranging from maths tutor to english tutor, it's crazy man).

I had 2 tutors for maths and 1 tutor for English and another for Korean. All up, it costs heaps. Some extreme kids basically had tutors for everything including ones for PD/H/PE (physical aspect, I am talking about). Half of my class were accelerated in maths like 3 years early or 2 years early.

All exams were very very dfficult and in the half-yearly report they only tell you what you got in average (all exams), which means, if you fail one exam, you are basically screwed. I was better than my cohort in English but one of the bottoms in Geography, History and other subjects. My average was pretty bad. No one actually cares what you get in an individual exam. They only care about average mark.

EDIT: IN Korean science, you start doing stuffs that are like yr 10 level science in yr 7. Maths were more ridiculously difficult as we did questions like in yr 10 level.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
Sounds fun. I always thought school moved too slowly in Australia. I hope English isn't compulsary there.:vcross: I feel sorry for all the people who have to do it. :D:D

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
foram said:
Sounds fun. I always thought school moved too slowly in Australia. I hope English isn't compulsary there.:vcross: I feel sorry for all the people who have to do it. :D:D
Unfortunately, it is.... but in much much easier level. No essay... or very little essays

selablad

HSC

TUTORING IN KINDERGARTEN???????

What the heck, that is just weird...

selablad

HSC
lyounamu said:
Unfortunately, it is.... but in much much easier level. No essay... or very little essays
But do they study English like as a second language, and then do essays/understanding texts/whatever in Korean (being first language)? Or do you mean that there is more a focus on maths/science?

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
Is there some form of korean shakespeare that has to be studied? That would be very painful.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
foram said:
Is there some form of korean shakespeare that has to be studied? That would be very painful.
I don't think so. Korean is very much comprehension-based and I don't know much in great details.

Aplus

HSC
N/A

selablad said:
TUTORING IN KINDERGARTEN???????

What the heck, that is just weird...
Not really, I started tutoring like in Year 1 or 2.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
selablad said:
But do they study English like as a second language, and then do essays/understanding texts/whatever in Korean (being first language)? Or do you mean that there is more a focus on maths/science?
First step: learn all the basic vocabulary
Second step: learn grammar
Third step: forming sentences
Fourth step:translation from korean to English or vice versa
Fifth step:speak clearly/public speaking
sixth step:practical experience (speak with foreign people)
seventh....

These are the basic steps involved in korean English education. I only got up to fourth when I was 13. You can sorta see how much I would have struggled with English by the time I came to Australia...

They don't write essays that much. They focus on comprehension and translation... as far as I know.

In Korea, they focus on everything. There is no such thing as dropping a subject or 10 units or 11 units or whatever. There is set amount and you pick it and you can't drop it. Fail in one exam means fail in total overall.

As I mentioned, fail in overall means crappy uni course at crappy school and crappy salary/condition determined by the course.

In korea, basically everything is about education and education determines a lot of your future life... pretty sad huh?

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
lyounamu said:
In korea, basically everything is about education and education determines a lot of your future life... pretty sad huh?
What if you're really good at starcraft?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
foram said:
What if you're really good at starcraft?

hahaha many korean people are crazy about starcraft even though it's really old. But apparently starcraft's popularity is slowly decreasing and it''s bloody competitive. I knew few friends who played 24/7 to become pro-gamer. That's like the most pathetic life but they are damn good. They are like God when it comes to starcraft. I can't see any hand movement, it is just too fast.

But as I said, it's very very competitive but rewards are pretty great but I don't recommend this career path. Especially not to someone smart like you, Foram.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
lyounamu said:
thats life pretty much in every asian country

Aplus

HSC
N/A
foram said:
Sounds fun. I always thought school moved too slowly in Australia.
Yeah, my parents basically say that all the time. For example, they check my work:
"So you're learning this now... jeez we learnt this in Year 6..."

bored of sc

HSC
Aplus said:
Yeah, my parents basically say that all the time. For example, they check my work:
"So you're learning this now... jeez we learnt this in Year 6..."
:bomb: really?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
My parents didn't learn the Maths that we're learning now in Year 11.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Aerath said:
My parents didn't learn the Maths that we're learning now in Year 11.
Nor my parents. But that doesn't really count because my parents were living in a poor condition at that time.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Not really - my mother was Ho Chi Minh City's Deputy Chief of Police at that time. :\

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)