English HSC Task One DISCOVERY (1 Viewer)

Adrian101

HSC
Hi guys,

My name is Adrian and I need help choosing related texts for my oral presentation upcoming. The question is:

"The process of discovery often leads to renewed perceptions of ourselves and others."

And the prescribed text is 'The Tempest'. I am planning on doing a movie and a poem for my related texts. I am struggling to choose a movie at the moment and right now the only things I could find were 'Changing lanes' (movie, 2002) and 'The pursuit of happyness' (Movie, 2006). With changing lanes i could relate that to forgiveness and sin, which is a theme in the play. However, with the pursuit of happyness, I could talk about self discovery... but there is not as much to talk about it. I could probably relate the self-discovery in the movie to the self-discovery of Caliban and Miranda. But I am struggling to choose between the two so your help would be appreciated. I also need to choose a poem so if you do know any, please reply however I am mainly concerned with the movie.

Thanks a lot for all your help! :)

sy37

HSC
Hi

The trick with choosing related texts is to choose something that isn't popular *and* has a surface level of discovery present so that if you get a question that is perplexing you can, in the literal sense of this word, make quotes / filmic techniques etc up that don't seem to inexact.

The above may be the most useful HSC English advice you will receive, take from it what you will buddy. Teachers have a time limit they have to keep up with too.

Adrian101

HSC
has a surface level of discovery present so that if you get a question that is perplexing you can, in the literal sense of this word, make quotes / filmic techniques etc up that don't seem to inexact.
Hey,

Thanks for the great advice by the way, however I don't really understand what you mean in the above?

sy37

HSC
Hey,

Thanks for the great advice by the way, however I don't really understand what you mean in the above?
Choose something that remotely resembles discovery or has an element of discovery present at face value. Choose something that is also not popular. This makes it perfect for making up fake quotes / techniques etc. You've got to use some common sense here though and not look dodgy

Raze747

HSC
I'm doing the poem The Rime Of The Ancient Mariner, though you should probably check with your teacher if you can do it since it is on the extension syllabus.
i was allowed to do it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)