ENGLISH is a joke subject (1 Viewer)

HSC
band 6 in english is a myth.
i did standard english, and got 72, all i have to say its rigged. my school sent in 80 for my assessment mark, but it got dragged down to 72. i came first in the class.

the lowest person in the class's assessment sent in was 45... it ended up to be 52. basically everyone in my class got squished together in the 60's

english is gay FULLSTOP

in saying that my uai was 95.40 due to my other insane scaling subjects

Iceman145

Unimelb
HSC
Clearly you have little understanding of how the HSC scaling system operates.

First in the class and exam mark of 72, anyone could tell you that your moderated assessment mark is also 72, barring crazy circumstances.

Band 6 in Standard english pretty much is a myth. Less than 10 ppl get it each year. go do advanced if you want ninety something

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
It wasn't rigged...you just had a crap assessment ranking or your class did crap in the exam (which your assessment mark is guaged by in relation to your rank and distribution.) I suffered badly by having a horrible cohort. My assessment mark internally was safely in the 90's however even tho I got a 90 HSC exam, my assessment mark was horrible.

sly_skittle

HSC
If you're ranked first in a crap school your assessment mark can't drag you down-you get what ever mark was your scaled exam mark unless someone in your school beat you in the exam- in that case your mark goes up.
I'm pretty sure that thats how the scaling goes;
e.g.
Person 1 is ranked 1st in the assessment(e.g. 75%) and gets 80 in the exam.
Person 2 is ranked 2nd in the assessment (e.g. 74%) but gets 82 in the exam.

Person 1 gets their HSC results;
Exam mark: 80
Assessment mark: 82 (the highest exam mark at their school)
HSC mark: 81

Person 2 gets their HSC results;
Exam mark: 82
Assessment mark: 80 (the second highest exam mark at their school)
HSC mark: 81

If you were ranked top in a really crap school it would not drag your assessment mark down.
e.g.
Person 1 is ranked 1st in the assessment (e.g. 80%) and gets 72 in the exam
Person 2 is ranked 2nd in the assessment (e.g. 65%-or any mark) and gets 62 in the exam.

Person 1 gets their HSC results;
Exam mark: 72
Assessment mark: 72
HSC mark: 72

If this is right (does anyone know for certain?) then the only way that a crap cohort could drag your mark down is if you don't get ranked up the top of the school. If you bludge for the entire year and get ranked 20/45 and then study for the exam and get the second highest exam mark your assessment mark will be the 20th highest from your school- meaning that yes your dodgy school did drag you down, but still it would be your own fault for not trying during the year.

In terms of standard english I reckon it is a joke subject too! but i think that teachers should stress this point to people in year 10 before they choose their HSC subjects. The scaling is extremly bad for standard- in another thread it said that 8 people got band 6 for standard this year compared to 5 last year. In advanced over 1000 got band 6.

If someone is aiming for a really high UAI and is half decent at English they should do advanced because it scales up whereas standard scales down a fair bit.

I don't know if that makes sense but thats how I understand that these things work

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
Band 6 in Standard English is almost a myth. Top mark was 92, and there were 8 Band 6 results this year in Standard (up from 5 last year) (link)

I_F

P_Dilemma

Extraordinary Entertainer
HSC
I'm in a selective school where Advanced English is compulsory. Guess what? NO ONE got band 6, the highest was borderline, 89-Band5.

English in general is a joke. Did you see the papers? There are employers out there complaining that high-school and uni graduates aren't using proper grammar and spelling! WHAT THE FUCK is up with that?!?! The English we did in HSC is pure BULLSHIT! WHAT THE FUCK is the point in learning about POMOFO BS and BLOODY language techniques if we cant even use the proper English grammar and spelling?!?!

Sorry for all the expletives. Just getting across the fact that i hate HSC English.

-P_D

LaMPshade

HSC
P_Dilemma said:
I'm in a selective school where Advanced English is compulsory. Guess what? NO ONE got band 6, the highest was borderline, 89-Band5.

English in general is a joke. Did you see the papers? There are employers out there complaining that high-school and uni graduates aren't using proper grammar and spelling! WHAT THE FUCK is up with that?!?! The English we did in HSC is pure BULLSHIT! WHAT THE FUCK is the point in learning about POMOFO BS and BLOODY language techniques if we cant even use the proper English grammar and spelling?!?!

Sorry for all the expletives. Just getting across the fact that i hate HSC English.

-P_D
lol, i think its weird how selective schools limits the courses a student can do, that goes for my school too. And guess what, the teachers at my school don't even know half the techniques i used in my trials (which i was taught by my private tutor).. which led to my poor trial results, however when i asked friends from other schools about my situation, they knew the techniques straight away and they said that they had also used it in their essays and got remarkable results.

I complained to the teacher and he said he has never heard of these techniques before and should only use the techniques which i was taught in school. Which i have regretted now since my adv eng hsc mark was only a high band 4. teachers these days =/

shimmy&shine

HSC
English was very hard this year. I know when i looked at my english mark 93/100, I was like WHAT?! i could have done better. but that said, the highest english mark was 96/100 (a huge achievement), and many people I have talked to have got english mark low to mid 80s. and this is at one of the top-ranked selective school. It's very hard to get a band 6 in english, which i also think is a good thing, as people will now less rely on pre-prepared essays and rote learn the english course the whole way, thinking that in the end they will get an excellent mark. Just my opinion.

HSC
P_Dilemma said:

-P_D

AGREED ... i didnt learn much english in school... i learnt from tutoring though..

me.. i ended up getting 71 for english.. epps.. and now.. i thnk my english has gotten worst!!... (higher than expected though)

P_Dilemma

Extraordinary Entertainer
HSC
lilkiwicutie89 said:
AGREED ... i didnt learn much english in school... i learnt from tutoring though..

me.. i ended up getting 71 for english.. epps.. and now.. i thnk my english has gotten worst!!... (higher than expected though)
OMG I got 71 for english too! *HUGS*

-P_D

Ricky09

HSC
I got 85 for Standard English. Just put in the work and you'll do fine. Don't blame other things for you not doing as well as you wanted to.

LaMPshade

HSC
P_Dilemma said:
[B said:
lilkiwicutie89[/B]]Originally Posted by lilkiwicutie89

OMG I got 71 for english too! *HUGS*

-P_D
r u guys serious? SO DID I!!!

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Doesn't almost every topic related to the HSC pop up each year, your point being - things don't change if anything is shown.

sung

HSC
Are you serious? 96 was the top in the state? DAMN what a waste, i knew i should have studied more for the exam because my internal mark was 95 and external 89

case88

HSC
huh, who says that 96/100 was the top mark for adv english this year?

vnblueberry

HSC
err
i know a 98/100 for adv. english, and he wasnt even 1st

btw lampshade, do you go to nbhs cuz that story soudns EXTREMELY familiar:bomb:

Etheral

HSC
i agree

english is whacked, i didnt memorise a single essay just practiced many text types over and over with similar ideas, got a good exam mark 91, but my internal killed me due to slightness of bias or marking against merit which pulled my hsc mark down.

overall i think english in teh hsc is a pile of dogsht, but thinking abou tit maybe i should have tried harder with this manure of a subject during mid year, our class discussions got out of hand, overanalysing things until it was completely absurd and out of context

...but you know what makes it feel weird?

i came within the double-0digits for assessment ranking, and initially had no hope with my exam, received 74% for trial mark as well i didnt even finish my module A paper (3/4 way through it) and receive what i did in teh hsc exam is way crazy, im not complaining though, but i dont understand how that works. maybe i ripped paper 1, lmao. who cares though, im going where i want to go.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)