English question (1 Viewer)

jaychouf4n

HSC
"You fellows know there are those voyages that seem ordered for the illustration of life, that might stand for a symbol of existence."

Discuss this line from Youth in light of your understanding of Conrad's novella. (Heart of Darkness)

Could you guys please help me understand the question I am being asked. And if anyone is familiar with the novel Heart of Darkness could you please give me a few tips :).

Thanks

jaychouf4n

HSC
bump

can anyone please tell me the meaning of "You fellows know there are those voyages that seem ordered for the illustration of life, that might stand for a symbol of existence.""

bored of sc

HSC
jaychouf4n said:
can anyone please tell me the meaning of "You fellows know there are those voyages that seem ordered for the illustration of life, that might stand for a symbol of existence.""
This is by no means the correct nor logical interpretation of the above bit of text:

You fellows know there are: A myriad of people fully understand that there are particular

...those voyages that seem ordered: events and situations within one's life that appear carefully set out by inexplicable means so that they fall into a successive and logical arrangement;

... for the illustration of life: an arrangement designed to create a predetermined, destined image of one's life.

... that might stand for a symbol of existence: This image of one's life journey can represent many aspects of existence, the many themes of humanity.

So basically, the idea of destiny. That the events and situations of a person's life can be the result of fate. That some higher means (the fates) has designed a person's life in a very particular way for a particular purpose with the intention of showing universal aspects of human existence (i.e. themes).

That is so hard to understand. :(

Last edited:

jellybelly59

HSC
... well this is how i interpreted it.

"You fellows know there are those voyages that seem ordered for the illustration of life.": That there are predestined events or situations in our life that act as a catalyst and shape our life hence the use of "illustration".

"... that might stand for a symbol of existence" : Agree with bored of sc

Basically what you do can shape your life. HAHAHA polar opposite with bored of sc :(. Most likely bored of sc is correct LOL cause he's pro in english. That's a hard quote to respond to :(

Last edited:

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
"You fellows know there are those voyages that seem ordered for the illustration of life, that might stand for a symbol of existence.""

To me it reads as this "to us life may seem predetermined by fate, which creates the image of us as humans"

In other words; life appears to be a sequence that has been predetermined, and the events that occur are what shape us as humans/individuals.

IMO

Last edited:

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
i know of the book Heart of Darkness (in other words have read it but never studied it) and that seems to be (from memory) a major aspect of the story, that they try to find themselves in the world within they exist. (remember this is all from memory so may be wrong)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)