• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

English Short Story Tips (1 Viewer)

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Confused. Just a little bit. What is meant by "either character or plot"? Should I focus on one more than the other, or--? It sounds like great advice, I just need someone to explain. Why not do both?
*Picks up a copy of The Hitckhiker's Guide to the Galaxy*
:3

I hate to ask this extremely noob question, but what is meant by

"Either character or plot, NOT both" ???
If you love wit, you'll love that series too ^^

Most stories are based on 3 things: plot, character or setting. Character and plot are the easiest and most common aspects people write about, whereas setting is quite rare. For short stories, you should concentrate on developing one of these aspects because of the limited amount of words. For character driven stories, your story would focus on the character's feelings/thoughts and the other 2 aspects would not be as important and would only serve as a means for your character's development. It's a similar case for the plot driven and setting driven stories.

If you try and do both or all three, your story will lack fluidity and you'll reduce the "wow factor" of your story. For eg, my story was plot based. What the character thought didn't really matter (he was only bored so that i could continue with the plot) and the setting did not really matter either (it was just an airport because i had to incorporate the stupid questions lol) - it was the plot that really mattered. If i had tried to do two aspects, the amount of time/words i could spend on developing the plot would decrease, resulting in a crappier story. That's why you should stick to concentrated on either plot, character or setting and not two or all three :)

xMaFF

HSC
Ohh. "wow factor," hehehe.

Thanks so much Annabackwards :D
I wish I could further add to your rep >w<

You've been a great help.
I think I'll re-attempt that short story now, in practice and study for my trial SC exams (which is next week :bomb: :bomb:)

Thanks everybody ^__^

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Ohh. "wow factor," hehehe.

Thanks so much Annabackwards :D
I wish I could further add to your rep >w<

You've been a great help.
I think I'll re-attempt that short story now, in practice and study for my trial SC exams (which is next week :bomb: :bomb:)

Thanks everybody ^__^
Good luck!

fishfingerz

HSC
lol that was the qs i did last year for my school cert.
u wanna know the secret? there is no secret. lol

kr73114

HSC
Don't write stuff on violence, pregnancy, rape or anything else that is cliche.
really, i never think of writing anything along those lines. I'm more space adventures and epic journeys (far more cliché and tacky).

kr73114

HSC
speaking about English school certificate papers. it says to allow 20 mins for short answer section. i always do it in half an hour. just cant seem to do it any quicker. any tips?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
i always do it in half an hour. just cant seem to do it any quicker. any tips?
I'll put it bluntly:

1. Analyse and make decisions faster

2. Write faster

3. Write less

That's the order you should go for. You should be able to analyse without even really thinking. Above all, try and get some practice in with past SC papers.

klaris

HSC
When I write I always try and have a "super-want". This means that the main character wants something, badly and that's what drives the plot.
You can also have more than one and I find it easier if they share a common theme or are connected in someway.

Here are some examples from books (mostly YA coz everyone on here would know them)

*Looking for Alibrandi - WANTS to be accepted
*On The Jellicoe Road - WANTS to find her mother/family
*Saving Francesca - WANTS her mum to get better

And yes, I love love love Melina Marchetta's writing.

*The Story of Tom Brennan - WANTS to be accepted
*Nineteen Eighty Four - WANTS to overthrow Big Brother
*Animal Farm - WANTS freedom (well kind of)
*If On A Winter's A Traveller - WANTS to read the book (lol, kind of)
*The Tomorrow Series - WANTS the war to be over/survive it.

As it's pretty obvious that "super-wants" drive both the plot and character as they change, develop and learn to get their "super-want".

Hope this helps.

yugi

HSC
Wow thats the question from last years school certificate
Well very similar, probably like 2 words difference

Jot down a few ideas: plot, storyline, characters, motives
NEVER ever write cliched stories, or about teenage drama's and stuff - teachers/markers hate reading that and never ever ever have your character "awaken to find it all a dream". Thats about the worst thing you could do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)