• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

English Standard/Advanced (1 Viewer)

h4vok

HSC
I'm confused about what to choose.

My deputy principal told us a few days ago that if we were to do advanced english and get a mark of ~75 or less, we would automatically get scaled down to the 50s. Whereas if we were to get about the same for standard english we might get a mark of ~65 for that subject.

I'm not exactly sure how it works but shouldn't doing advanced actually give you better marks than doing standard, considering you get the same raw mark for each?

I'm averaging about 75 as a report mark for advanced english at the moment and was wondering if i should risk it and do advanced in year 12 or just drop it.

Can anybody help me?

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
if your averaging 75 for advance i would seriously consider keeping it
u neva know...u might improve during the next year
75 isnt a bad mark for internal assessment mark
im sure ull be fine

h4vok

HSC
chances are i won't improve :( i've always been at around the 70 range for english throughout my whole highschool life. i'm more concerened about how the scaling part works.

P

pLuvia

You should keep advanced english, averaging 75 is good in my opinion :) Don't drop to standard if you seriously think you can't improve, but you should ask your teacher

volition

arr.
HSC
I think if you can do advanced, you should do it. It's not really that much harder (in my opinion)

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
h4vok said:

My deputy principal told us a few days ago that if we were to do advanced english and get a mark of ~75 or less, we would automatically get scaled down to the 50s. Whereas if we were to get about the same for standard english we might get a mark of ~65 for that subject.

I'm not exactly sure how it works but shouldn't doing advanced actually give you better marks than doing standard, considering you get the same raw mark for each?

I'm averaging about 75 as a report mark for advanced english at the moment and was wondering if i should risk it and do advanced in year 12 or just drop it.

Can anybody help me?
do ext 1 english, i kid you not, you won't regret it. its easier than adv english......ALOT EASIER. Im happy that i chose it and people that didn't wish they did. it will seriously help you in your UAI, do ext 1 eng. i can't emphasize it anymore.

P

pLuvia

You can't just pick up EE1 unless you have done the preliminary course in year 11. Unless this person is in year 10 which I doubt.

But I agree with rnitya 25 EE1 is worth it

Last edited by a moderator:

huangker

Crammer
HSC
Ok heres how i understand it. While BOS will scale adv and stn the same, when UAC looks at ur marks to calculate your UAI, theu will scale it DIFFERENTLY. So a 80 in adv is better for your uai than a 80 in stn.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
huangker said:
Ok heres how i understand it. While BOS will scale adv and stn the same, when UAC looks at ur marks to calculate your UAI, theu will scale it DIFFERENTLY. So a 80 in adv is better for your uai than a 80 in stn.
Actually it's the other way around. The BOS will scale (or align) them differently while the UAC scale them equally.

Rony_May

HSC
h4vok said:

Can anybody help me?
is that true??

wiesy18

HSC
If you get 75 in Advanced English and get 75 in Standard, obviously the 75 in Advanced is better than the standard. Dick head! But a 80 in standard and only 75 in Advanced, the Advanced come out better because Advanced course is a lot harder. In the 2005 HSC only 6 people in the whole of NSW got a band 6 in Standard English, this just shows how hard standard is, compared to Advanced, because Advanced is a harder course, and has a harder paper.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
h4vok said:
Your deputy principal should be more careful not to mislead his or her students.

The UAI is all about ranking students, so it is your position in the state relative to everyone else that is important, not the mark reported by the Board.

A mark of 75 in Advanced will place you near the bottom 25% of the state.

A mark of 75 in Standard will typically place you in the top 10% of the state.

The second score is obviously a better relative achievement and hence should equate to a higher scaled mark.

Don't assume that the marks awarded by the Board can be compared between different courses. Because they can't.

The best advice is always to choose the highest level course that you are capable of taking. This will ensure that you get the marks you deserve.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
yeah.. i agree with lazarus.. the information wasnt accurate.. but it was pretty darn close to it...
getting a 75 in standard is ALOT better then a 75 in advanced.. when calculating UAI... And its also alot easier to accomplish

But.. what happens when alot of the people who should be doing advanced do standard? you get a MAJOR disturbance.. in the Mandatory english course...

It basically means average people just get screwed over more...

Meaning you get screwed over more... besides advanced english helps you in other subjects.. like...

Legal studies,
Business Studies,
IPT,
Economics,
Modern History,
Ancient History,
Etc, Etc,

So basically.. with a good understanding of english.. and a decent understanding of the course, will equate to good responses in exams.

So.. understanding 3/4 of every requirement of advanced english (75%- what should be... stupid scaling and playing around with marks) will likely RAISE your uai, because you will be able to WRITE more, WRITE better and COMMUNICATE your understanding, and at the end of the day THAT is what they assess. If you cant communicate the idea, you dont get the marks.

So.
here is REALLY rough sketch of what i mean (its just for the idea, in no way representive of EXACTLY how it is.. just to explain the idea behind what im saying.)

English Advanced: 75 :Aggregate about 23
Business: 80 : Aggregate about 49
Eco: 80 : Aggregate about 34
Biology: 80 : Aggregate about 44
Maths : 80 : Aggregate about 39

UAI about 78-80... (cbf checking)

English Standard: 75 : Aggregate about 33
Business: 70 : Aggregate about 26
Eco: 70 : Aggregate about 11
Biology: 70 : Aggregate about 22
Maths : 80
(I decided to only take 10 marks for 3 {subjects with emphasis on written responses} for less ability to communicate because you would take standard.)
UAI about 69-72

OVERALL a BIG difference.
with not THAT much difference in effort.

{Didnt exactly check the marks just a rough estimate }

HSC
N/A
pLuvia said:
You can't just pick up EE1 unless you have done the preliminary course in year 11. Unless this person is in year 10 which I doubt.

But I agree with rnitya 25 EE1 is worth it
No darlings no!

If you are not doing very well in english and have no personal interest in taking up further english studies, do NOT pick up extension. Much like maths extension 1, you'll just end up getting more confused and depressed (unless you have a damn good tutor... but if you're totally dependant on a tutor you shouldn't be doing that subject in the first place).

Do what you like and are good at. Anything more actually isn't worth it.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Thats true... and you see it happen over and over again in EVERYTHING in life....

when people lose confidence they feel worthless and give up... they end up not studying.. or not working... and end up failling...

But what can you do for those people? I guess in a sense being VANE and overly confident... is good in the long term...

Its usually people who listen to criticism though... i say fuck it... do what you love... sometimes i get depressed.. we all do... when we realise our goals are impossible... or we realise... we aren't what we could have been.

I noticed when people feel that way they procrastinate... they say.. well I'LL START TOMMOROW!

Tommorow, ill stand up for myself...
Tommorow, i'll exercise and shape my body the way i want it to be...
Tommorow, i'll study...
Tommorow, i'll not be shy around girls....
Tommorow, i'll tell the person i care about how i feel....

My advise to everyone reading this... Tommorow isn't guranteed to us... life is precious... you could die tommorow.... no more tommorows LIVE LIFE NOW!

Much love to everyone reading this....

And may your dreams come true.....

A l

HSC
N/A
sam04u said:
... besides advanced english helps you in other subjects.. like...

Legal studies,
Business Studies,
IPT,
Economics,
Modern History,
Ancient History,
Etc, Etc,

So basically.. with a good understanding of english.. and a decent understanding of the course, will equate to good responses in exams.

So.. understanding 3/4 of every requirement of advanced english (75%- what should be... stupid scaling and playing around with marks) will likely RAISE your uai, because you will be able to WRITE more, WRITE better and COMMUNICATE your understanding, and at the end of the day THAT is what they assess. If you cant communicate the idea, you dont get the marks.
Do not make the assumption that by simply taking English (Advanced) you have assistance in other subjects. The syllabus in English (Standard) is about 70% identical to the syllabus of English (Advanced). So the skills required English (Standard) is more or less the same as the skills required in English (Advanced). The main difference is the course content in the three modules, but the skills required to tackle each module are the almost the same. Secondly, the skills that are only unique to English (Advanced) are those that revolve around HOW social, historical and cultural contexts can shape different levels of meaning into texts as well as how the different historical, social, cultural and political contexts of the responder can influence the different levels of meaning received from a text. This is hardly required in other subjects. Writing and analytical skills are often required in other subjects and these are common within both Standard and Advanced courses. Getting a good mark in such subjects is not an indicator of how well you are doing in English. There are plenty of people topping subjects like Anicent/Modern History, Economics, Legal Studies, Business Studies and History Extension, but are terrible at English.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Alright now when we go BACK to reality. You're wrong.
Advanced English makes better writers, who can communicate their ideas more effectively. Advanced english has more homework, more class assignments... among other things which end up meaning students who take advanced english are better at interpreting and responding to questions based on their understanding.

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC
sam04u said:
Alright now when we go BACK to reality. You're wrong.
Advanced English makes better writers, who can communicate their ideas more effectively. Advanced english has more homework, more class assignments... among other things which end up meaning students who take advanced english are better at interpreting and responding to questions based on their understanding.
most people who choose to take the advanced course are more capable students in the first place......and the amount of homework you get does not determine how well you do. It depends on the teacher, not the course you take, as to how much homework you get anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)