English: Standard vs Advanced (1 Viewer)

bradc1988

HSC
Ok there's been a little talk about the 2 and their scaling. I just went to SAM and entered my results, keeping everything the same but changed my mark of 80 in standard to 80 in advanced.

The funny thing is, with standard my UAI is 92.8 but with advanced it's 91.7. What's the deal with that? How can this be? I'm lucky I did standard as it seems to have been better for my UAI.

Can someone explain how this works? I think some people who got similar a result were screwed out of some marks by doing advanced.

Pro Gamer

HSC
rol I kept my mark and changed from adv to sta in Sam and got an increase in my UAI by .90

webby234

HSC
N/A
I think that may be because it is harder to get the high marks in standard - hardly anyone gets bands five and six.

bradc1988

HSC
I guess that makes sense. It's just that some of my friends who got <80 in advanced might've gotten a slightly better UAI if they had've gotten the same mark in standard. Hm I dunno, they've all got better UAIs then me anyway. 93+.

kow_dude

HSC
webby234 is right. It is harder to achieve higher marks in Standard because their exam questions does not require deep analysis and comprehensive responses, whereas advanced' texts are supposedly harder and so markers are more lenient.

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Though UAI depends upon how well your whole school did, as well as the marks of your other course as well as the scaling for the courses other than English advanced or standard. But that said, its still hard to understand the entire UAI process, I suppose it varies from year to year.

Perhaps, there is some sort of cutting mark which either scales you up or down for English, but overall from my sources English advanced should in a way scale better than standard...

webby234

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Ragerunner in the SAM forum

Ragerunner said:
Theres a common misconception when people say Standard and Advanced English scale the same. A lot of people tend to interpret it as the process of aligning raw marks to HSC marks as the 'scaling' process. This is incorrect. The aligning process is separate for Standard and Advanced english.

When they say Standard and Advanced English both have the same scaling it is referring to the hidden process that the UAC does. 2 identical HSC marks of say for example 80/100 for Advanced and Standard English does not necessarily equate to the same raw HSC mark.

In the calculation of the UAI, scaled HSC marks are used, not HSC marks (the marks you saw today).

So the reason why Standard might give a higher uai is best demonstrated with an example.

Lets say hypothetically, a student A scores:

Raw mark of 70/120 for Standard English. Lets pretend this raw mark aligns to 85/100

Lets say hypothetically student B scores:
Raw mark of 65/120. Lets pretend this raw mark aligns to 85/100 as well.

As you can see, both students have the same aligned mark. But their raw marks are different. And it is these raw marks that are used in calculation of the UAI. And this is why they don't give the same UAI.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)