English Tutoring during Junior Years? (1 Viewer)

Infatuate

HSC
I'm posting this for my younger sister (yr9 this year) who is in dire need of a good English tutor. She attends a selective school ranked in the top 5, but her English marks aren't too impressive. I know it's probably a little too early for her to go English tutoring considering that she's only in year 9... but hey, it's never too early to improve right?
I've browsed the forum but most of the recommended English tutors are for students in senior years, so I haven't really had any luck with finding professional English tutors for younger students.
Anyway, can anyone recommend me a professional tutoring college for junior English?

It'd be great if you could recommend me a somewhat challenging (don't know if that's the right word) English tutor, because she is actually quite intelligent despite what I've posted above.

Thanks!

michaeljennings

HSC
You could ask one of your parents to contact her teacher at school to ask her teacher to focus more on your sister if possible. Because in junior school you are basically developing the basics for analysing texts etc so it shouldnt be too much of an ask for your teacher to pay special attention to your sister because its not as though her teacher would be putting in a lot of effort individually with students (this mainly happens in yr 11/12)

This would be a lot cheaper than spending money on a tutor

I wasted my english lessons during junior school as I hardly paid attention. I didnt know any of the basics in Year 11. I didnt know what a thesis was, I didnt know youre meant to use topic sentences, and my expression and vocab were terrible (my teacher thought it was because I didnt read books so take what you will from that, I would probably agree but I dont care) etc etc. So I think if her teacher explains all of the basics to her maybe at lunchtime or at the end of the lesson and makes sure that she is improving, there shouldnt be a need for a tutor during junior school.

Last edited:

zhiying

HSC
Try Ngo & Sons? I only went for math but I heard English is really good there too. But with long waiting list.

BUT my opinion is that English tutor is redundant overall, especially during junior years. But that's just my experience, and I was ESL in primary school still end up doing okay without ever tutoring

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
I went Maths Tutoring since Year 3 (mainly cause I was a very struggling student back then), it's not early at all to start in Year 9.
Ngo & Sons has Mrs Diab who is quite reputable for English.
Mr Tishler (deputy of Macquarie Fields High School) is also heaps reputable for English (forgot where he teaches).

You can always try reputable tutors like Matrix, Dux College, Talent100, The Brain, etc.
Private tutoring for English is usually the best option if the tutor has GREAT credentials....
Or you can tell her to go read more books/texts, analyse more texts, do more comprehension and write more texts (a great start to developing self-study habits).
Make her take up a hobby that involves heaps of English/reading (reading books is the most simple example).
Make her expand her vocabulary. Tell her to use some of her recess/lunch time at the library like 2 days a week maybe?

Infatuate

HSC
A private tutor would be ideal but we (my parents and I) can't seem to find one with amazing credentials. :( And Ngo and Son's English? I've read quite a fair bit about that on this forum but it seems like all the reputable teachers (Ms Diab etc) teach senior years only... or have I been misinformed?
Yeah, and I'll make sure she starts reading and writing a lot more (she's very lazy!).
Oh, and all her English teachers at school teach senior students as well... so I'm not sure what the responses would be if she asked.

zhiying

HSC
Yes read, I've been told to read for like 5 years never did haha. I think Ms Diab shares the workload with one of her ex-students but not sure how they share it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)