• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Enquiry on transfer program to another (1 Viewer)

vixzotra

HSC
N/A
Im currently taking BSc Information Systems however I'm planning to switch it to BSc Computer Science.

Will there be any changes on my current academic standing / transfer credit if
i were to transfer to another program? How should i go abt it in order to switch to another program?

Thanks in advanced!

rand0m3r

HSC
yep, i'm not sure what would happen from info sys to comp sci. but some program changes result in your WAM resetting for your new program, and in other cases it just continues.

also, if you have done any subjects for info sys that are also required by comp sci, then you can transfer them over rather than doing it all over again.

ace

is retired
HSC
Lets take the assumption here, that you successfully gained your transfer from BIT to CompSci, ok

Now it depends on subjects and if they can be credited to your new degree. Three scenario's arise potentially;

- If *ALL* subjects are credited, you start off with a WAM the same as your old degree.

- If *NO* subjects are credited, your new WAM resets (persay)

- If *SOME* subjects are credited, your new wam is the wam of those specific subjects

(Determining your starting wam)

vixzotra

HSC
N/A
for those subjects that i;ve taken in info sys be counted as electives for computer science?

gman03

HSC
vixzotra said:
for those subjects that i;ve taken in info sys be counted as electives for computer science?
Yes

And you should make your transfer via UAC.

ace

is retired
HSC
exactly like that :)

(you'd have to check with the relevant faculty to see if they accept, and up to how much, if any though, but otherwise, it seems fine)

~*chocho*~

HSC
ace said:
Lets take the assumption here, that you successfully gained your transfer from BIT to CompSci, ok

Now it depends on subjects and if they can be credited to your new degree. Three scenario's arise potentially;

- If *ALL* subjects are credited, you start off with a WAM the same as your old degree.

- If *NO* subjects are credited, your new WAM resets (persay)

- If *SOME* subjects are credited, your new wam is the wam of those specific subjects

(Determining your starting wam)
I don't know if its because I transferred from a science degree to a commerce one, but my WAM got reset, even though all my subjects were credited

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
~*chocho*~ said:
I don't know if its because I transferred from a science degree to a commerce one, but my WAM got reset, even though all my subjects were credited
Really? Here's to hoping that my uni does the same thing.

ace

is retired
HSC
~*chocho*~ said:
Did you change uni's in the process? Cause I could see the WAM reseting if you changed uni's, as Uni X would not know what Uni Y's marking system really does, and thus give you exemptions, but not carry over numbers.

~*chocho*~

HSC
ace said:
Did you change uni's in the process? Cause I could see the WAM reseting if you changed uni's, as Uni X would not know what Uni Y's marking system really does, and thus give you exemptions, but not carry over numbers.
I changed from adv. science at UNSW to commerce at UNSW. 2 of the subjects that got transferred were accounting 1A and microeconomics which are core subjects for commerce, and I think its a bit silly that they don't get counted towards my WAM..

TheKey

HSC
ace said:

That also didnt happen for me and mine is a very simple case.

I transfered from Elec eng / Science -> Elec eng / Arts, (both at UNSW) and in my case these two programs are identical until sem4 (i transfered after doing sem3) and all my credit transfered...WAM did not. I have currently WAM for 3 semesters of program 1, as well as a different WAM for program 2 for this last semester.

ace

is retired
HSC
That's so strange

I transfered from Sci/Eng -> Eng
I've got a wam for 1 semester on sci/eng, and a wam for eng (but all my subs were counted)
Then i transfered to Eng -> Eng/Comm, again, 1 semester (+the followon stuff) wam,
and a wam for Eng/Com now (which still encompassed all the subjects i've previously done)

TheKey, just to clarify something, when you say credited...WAM did not. So the old subjects you did, none of those marks (where factored) into your new degree cumulative wam? If so, that is SO strange (considering as you said the two programs are somewhat identical)

Hmm, weird administration at UNSW (random selection :cool: )

Last edited:

TheKey

HSC
ace said:
That's so strange

TheKey, just to clarify something, when you say credited...WAM did not. So the old subjects you did, none of those marks (where factored) into your new degree cumulative wam? If so, that is SO strange (considering as you said the two programs are somewhat identical)
In the academic statement it says:

Credit transfered for WAM : 0.00
Credit transfered not for WAM : 72.00

Also on the bottom of the academic statement it says:

3725 Electrical Engineering/Science Totals

WAM: 66.125 UNITS : 72.00 72.00

3720 Electrical Engineering/Arts Totals

WAM: 73.625 UNITS : 96.00 96.00

And yea, 73.625 is sem4 WAM..not overall.

I dont know why they didnt transfer it for WAM..seems strange but i dont think it really matters anyway, when they calculate our overall mark after 5 years they look at subjects individually and give more weighting to those in later years and stuff so this WAM is really meaningless anyway. (i think)

rand0m3r

HSC
when i transferred from commerce/science (major in computer science) to software engineering/commerce ... my WAM reset also. but you can't really say it reset coz as the other person in this thread said, there are WAM totals for both programs. so it's not like everything in the past has been forgotten.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)