Enrolling in courses that do not follow your program strucutre? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Are you allowed to enroll in courses outside of your program structure? Of course, I mean courses that do not have any prerequisites or faculty restrictions. I am asking this on behalf of a friend. She REALLY wants to get into UNSW biomedical engineering. Unfortunately she only got an ATAR of 67 + a few subject and EAS bonus points. I advised her that an internal transfer was her best bet, since an external transfer would be done through UAC and they consider 50/50 atar/tertiary. Problem is, the only few programs she'll make it to at unsw are ones that she will not be great at (e.g b social science) because she has an aptitude for science and maths. I told her to enroll in the first year biomedical engineering subjects which include MATH1131 PHYS1121 ENGG1000 etc, all of which do not have any faculty restrictions when I checked the handbook.

I just want to make sure, is this allowed? Most importantly, will there be any consequences for enrolling in courses that do not fit your current program structure (e.g kicking you out of the course).

Any assistance with this issue is appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
I think it should be fine to enrol in MATH1131 and PHYS1121 in programs like B Science or B Arts.

I'm not sure about ENGG1000 because it doesn't seem to be covered by the area of major in Science or Arts. I think you are not really allowed to enrol in subjects in which your program is not prescribed to. For example, someone in B Science can't enrol in Optometry subjects (even though it is in the same faculty!) and hope that he/she will be able to do all the Optometry subjects and transfer to Optometry and thus get everything transferred across. I think they simply won't allow you to enrol on the my.unsw website when you try to enrol in courses you are not suppose to.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I think you actually can. It's just a matter if you meet prerequisites. So no enrolling in say... MATH3611 for instance unless you did the relevant second year subjects.

Though if you don't follow your program structure - you'll be at uni longer. Obvious exception is if you're wanting to transfer, but if you don't make the transfer - you just did a whole heap of subjects that don't count for anything..

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
hmm, I'm pretty sure you can't enrol in first year medicine subjects (which has no prereq) if you are not in the MBBS program, otherwise they will have a lot of random science people doing medicine - but then again I've never tried.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Those biomedical engineering subjects he posted: MATH1131 PHYS1121 ENGG1000 , would be fine, I think.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
hmm, I'm pretty sure you can't enrol in first year medicine subjects (which has no prereq) if you are not in the MBBS program, otherwise they will have a lot of random science people doing medicine - but then again I've never tried.
you have to do all the med subjects in the same semester/year at the same time so that wouldn't be allowed. Lol

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
I think Med and Law courses are the exceptions

D94

HSC
N/A
You can enrol in most courses not under your program. The handbook will tell you any requirements, e.g. LAWS1052 says you have be in a Faculty of Law program; PHSL2121 says you need to be enrolled in Biomedical Engineering etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)