enrolling in math1131 after having done math1011 (1 Viewer)

I Robot

HSC
MAICHI said:
Really? I don't know, maybe it has massive scaling for tailenders, but if you already got a pretty high raw mark I think the scaling is negligible. Don't get me wrong, I'm not inferring that you are a tailender or anything. Because the scaling I experienced is negligible, and this is after I confirmed my raw mark with the lecturer.

Top mark this session for UNSW's top math class, math1251 is 97, not that high I reckon for a group of HSC students who caned 3/4U. I swear I saw a few 99s or high 90s posted on the Usyd forum for first year math. Maybe they have many math geniuses there, can't rule that out.
MAICHI, did you get the info from Tacon that the top MATH1251 mark was 97?

I too, reckon that there is not much scaling from MATH1151/1251.
Sure, there was double integration in calculus and stuff such as lagrange multipliers in algebra, but it was pretty easy.

I got 58 and 57 respectively in the two courses, knowingly that I got around 3 out of the 6 questions correct in the exam papers, so that's why I reckon MATH1231 < MATH1251 < MATH1241 in terms of difficulty.

J0n

N/A
HSC
redslert said:
No you can't, once you pass a course you can never take it again, why would you want to, it's a waste of time and money.
I took math1141 in session1, but didn't get a credit (but a pass). This meant I could not do math1241 in session2. I found out my degree requires me to do higher math, so I was hoping to re-take it in 06.

I just tried enrolling, and it did allow me to enroll in math1141. Is this a 'bug', or am I really allowed to retake math1141?

Also, I did math1231, since I was intending to transfer to just comp sci, so assuming I am allowed to take math1141 again, and achieve a credit, would I be allowed to take math1241?

gman03

HSC
Idyll said:
That was my mark for 1251 last session, and Daniel Chan told me it was the highest mark.

As for the difficulty thing, David Tacon believes that 1151/1251 are harder than 1141/1241 because they cover more material.
meh 1x51 and 1x41 goes in-depth into different areas like finance vs. engineering. I mean people in 1x51 wouldn't happen to have use eigenvalues to find the sinusoidal excitation output of an electric circuit? nor 1x41 people would go in-depth in how to use matrix to maximise the profit in growing crops?

Point is: each has its own difficulty.

And I don't think higher maths is dead-set requirments for any degree, thou the degree *recommends* higher maths. e.g. engineering degrees.

So in conclusion I <strike>don't</strike> think unable to enrol 1131 is not because 1011, but rather problem with the enrollment issue. See your school to fix it up, and if they tell you nonsense statement like "oh I have this error" and tell them the handbook say 1011->1131. Exclusion meets something to degree, not if you can enrol or not. You cannot enrol a subject if it is not part of your degree.

Last edited:

ace

is retired
HSC
BillyMak said:
Basically, I did no work what-so-ever for 1151 and didn't really learn anything on the way through, really only passed it by the art of bullshitting. It would just make me feel a lot better if I did an easier maths, and got a good mark in it and actually learned something in the process.

Also, if I move straight into 1231 in first semester 2006, I'll be sort of 1 semester ahead for maths.... or something. I don't really want to do this because I'd rather complete the degree the "usual" way, just to avoid stuffing around. (Unless I can do 18 UOC instead of 24 and do 1231 in semester 2?)

Oh yeah... and HECS fees really mean nothing to me. Considering you only have to pay them back once you earn above a certain amount, I figure once I'm earning that amount I'll be comfortable enough anyway.
What do you mean by usual way. How does MATH1151 put you ahead by 1 semester? Think of it this way, if you would of done MATH1131 is would of taken the same amount of time as MATH1151. So I can't see why MATH1151 would deviate your uni studies.

Just my two cents.

Seriously though, i'd say, don't lament on maths. Even if you say you bludged through it. I'd be silly to actually do something again (even more so, on a simpler scale). Find some other maths subject and fall in love with that. MATH1131 is not worth it :cool:

ace

is retired
HSC
gman03 said:
You cannot enrol a subject if it is not part of your degree.
Nothing to do with this MATHXXXX stuff going on here.

But technically you can enrol in a subject if it is not part of your degree. You are allowed to enrol in any class (assuming you meet pre-requistes and so forth) and if they have nothing to do towards your award (e.g. Bachelor of Sci in Genetics) then the courses are just seen as non-award.

You take them either;
- Cause you want to take them, for no other reason but to please yourself
- Take them for professional accrediation or extra knowledge in a certain area

The second scenario pops up quite abit of the time, when people are trying to satisfy requirements for various associations. E.g. CA/CPA

MAICHI

HSC
N/A
Idyll said:
That was my mark for 1251 last session, and Daniel Chan told me it was the highest mark.

As for the difficulty thing, David Tacon believes that 1151/1251 are harder than 1141/1241 because they cover more material.
Yeah you got equal first, but you did beat Ngai though, he didn't get first. You topped 3U math for hsc right?

With the 1141 vs 1151 argument, I agree that both are difficult in their on way, since you can't really compare those 2. But math1151 would definately have the better students based on hsc marks, since most top math students end up at UNSW doing actuarial studies, or they go USyd and do their math degree there. Thats why I think math1151 has bad scaling compared to 1141/1131 and USyd.

gman03

HSC
ace said:
Nothing to do with this MATHXXXX stuff going on here.

But technically you can enrol in a subject if it is not part of your degree. You are allowed to enrol in any class ...
Yeah sorry I made typos. I was meant to type "You can enrol the subject if it is part of your degree"..

my bad

MAICHI

HSC
N/A
I think you are right, it's only in integral calculus where those 'extremely' high marks appear, they don't even do algebra for second session. I think it's because only in integral calculus USyd offer their special program for the top students, practically everyone in that program gets HD.

I thought calculus and algebra was about the same difficulty in the finals, but in the quizzes however, calculus had many surprises.

MAICHI

HSC
N/A
Sorry, my bad. Yes calculus was indeed more difficult in 1151.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)