Enrolling in SSP (1 Viewer)

elisewalker

HSC
I'm starting my first year this year, and I'm just wondering how demanding are the special studies programs? Do people usually just enrol in one or is enrolling in a few (if eligible) achievable in terms of workload?

HSC
I can only speak for maths:

SSP Maths: 1 extra seminar a week, and your tutorial is with that same SSP class. You get lectured for 4 weeks for 3 topics, and at the culmination of each topic you get a short assignment. These assignments will be used to 'top up' your regular calculus mark at the end of semester (up to 5 marks may be awarded, depending on how you went in the calculus part)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Hallo :)

I'll chime in for bio SSP!

Bio SSP is great and I found it not much of a step from doing Adv level bio, and it's an absolutely fantastic course. The only difference is you get to do way more independent and higher thinking lab work. They'll expect you to pick up practical techniques faster(like you'll be soaring through learning new equipment) The theory content is the same.

I only did Adv Chem, so the person to speak to regarding that is someth1ng. But SSP chem again, does the same theory lectures/tutes as Adv kids, but escapes the annoying first year chem labs that then the fundies/std/pharmacy/adv are cattle called into together (which has no relevance at all to what you learn in adv chem). So I'm going with a similar vibe to say it's like SSP bio where you just get to do much, much better pracwork (though adv bio pracs are way better than chem pracs cause they are actually relevant)

If you are a smart cookie, I know some people in my year did two SSPs at a time, or a mixture of TSP/SSP and managed. I think someone even did Chem/Phys/Bio SSP in same sem, the gun.

Rythen

HSC
Chem SSP - the best thing about this is that the classes are small. We have special labs which are fun and not too difficult - there's no examination on lab material other than a few reports which is just a summary of what we did in the lab. You will also have to make a poster at the end of the 1st sem. You also have small tutorials with a quiz, not too difficult either. The final exam however BEWARE!

Math SSP - the math SSP is just 1 hr extra seminar each week. You get 3? sheets of assignments which are a few questions each and that's it. You get bonus marks on top of your advanced math marks for doing those. It's not too difficult.

I overloaded Psychology TSP along with these two SSPs and there weren't many issues. A bit stress before the exams but other than that, definitely manageable :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)