Enrolment Questions- Lets end the confusion. (1 Viewer)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Hmm all those areas are fairly popular, so you may not get the class you want, but I don't think it'd be 'full' so to speak.

tinfoilhat

HSC
thanks! i was asking for a friend hehe
i enrolled yesterday =D was fun

xJaix

HSC
If i'm doing an Arts degree (intending to transfer to Applied Finance OR Commerce at the end of first semester) can I do any subjects i.e. units that are from Applied Finance ? (e.g. ACST101 Techniques and Elements of Finance (3)) So that I can get credits for it when I transfer to Applied finance.

I have a friend who has been giving me some info about the best ways to go about it. He said that at UNSW he could do any subject when he was doing B Arts and was not really limited to any subjects, does the same apply at Macquarie ? I'm guessing it doesn't but i'm giving it a shot anyway!

I rang up and asked about it but they weren't really clear about it, I got transferred so many times and ended up with (the dean of Finance /Economics) Who said I didn't have to do any related subjects at all in my first semester. So i'm thinking I either can't get credits for it or I can't do non-arts units. Right or wrong?

Any help would be much appreciated since i'm so confused from all the information i've received from people I spoke to when I called up - they all said slightly different things and the person i spoke to in Finance/economics wasn't at all on par with what everyone else said!

Any help is much appreciated, cheers!

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Applied Finance

That's your Applied Finance course stream

Commerce-Accounting

And there's your Commerce-Accg stream.

Basically if you can find units there which have no pre-requisites, or units with pre-requisites which you can satisfy, then you're ok. You can also try and apply for a waiver to have some of those pre-requisites 'waived' and allow you to do them.

Generally, in any degree, you can do any unit you want as long as you satisfy those pre-requisites.

So ACST101 and STAT 170, and a COMP/ISYS unit are no issues, but the ECON and ACCG units may be a bit more troublesome.

Alternatively, you can try and do subjects you have an interest in (outside of AppFin/Accg) and try and get a good gpa so you can transfer. These will then be credited as electives when you transfer, so they won't satisfy the core units, but will count towards the credit point requirement in the degree.

Also I find it hard to believe your friend was allowed to do 'any' subject, there surely would've been restrictions placed on professional/prescribed courses like Accounting/Law/Engineering etc.

Hope that makes sense?

xJaix

HSC
I think it does, let me just clarify. So as long as there aren't any pre-requistes it should be fine? (or alternatively I could get a waiver)

For example, if I had this for my Proposed Program Form it would be approved for first semester even though i'm in B of Arts?

ACST101 Techniques and Elements of Finance
STAT170 Introductory Statistics
COMP115: Introduction to Computer Science
DEM127: Demographic Fundamentals

Total CP= 12

12 CP = full time student? :D

Also, if I were to do those units i'd still fall under faculty of business and economics on orientation day, right?

Thanks in advance once again, it's just stressing me out since i'm so new to all of this and want to be best prepared as I can for enrolment day.

Cheers!

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Yep, that should be alright, though from what I hear, you need to do second semester as well :)

And yes you'd go do the Business orientation

Peartie

HSC
you'd be full time for semester 1

but without having enrolled in anything for semester 2 you wont be

and for the little sticker thing you get a piece of paper that is only valid for 6 months...

rooeys2

i like to laugh =)
HSC
hey guys i also ahve a problem on my hands,
i accepted my offer for commerce-marketing/law in the main rounds, and iv enrolled and registered my classes and everything, but at the same time i also applied for late rounds and got commerce/law due to change of mind. now i want to accept and enrol my late round offer at macq and get rid of the commerce-marketing/law admission, i went on estudent and accepted my late round offer but it wont let me withdrawl the other degree cuz its already "admitted".
the estudent FAQ said i need to withdrawl all my units to withdrawl from a course, so i did that, but i still couldnt enrol/register my units on estudent.
i know perhaps if i attend the academic advising for late rounds again i might solve this problem, but i really dont want to travel all the way to macq again :(
is there possibly a way of solving this online? thanks !

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Late round stuff might start later on estudent, as they're still processing main round students.

Bazzyllian

HSC
Bah, 2 subjects have lectures that clash. For one of them, all three lectures are full, but I am registered in a prac.

My question: Now what? :(

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Figure out which lecture is more important and make friends with someone in the other lecture who can take notes for you, or hope that one has ilecture.

Kiim2507

HSC
It took me 6 hours to enrol :lol:
Spent the first day trying to pick electives cos I had no idea what I wanted to do
Then went to enrol and my one unit was full in the first semester so my whole timetable was fucked so they told me to come the next day
Next day redid my entire timetable, then had to wait for like 30 mins to find someone who could sign off my sheet. Finally got someone then had to work out my timetable again cos half the tutorials were full.
Finally got that all sorted then spent more time getting my id, consession stuff, parking permits etc

Probably the half the time was spent trekking it around uni trying to find where I had to be lol

xJaix

HSC
I'm filling out my Proposed Program Form for Second Semester and I was wondering if we can put in units which have Prerequisites to Admission to BAppFin or BBA or BCom or BEc or GDipEd) or GPA of 2.0 with 12cp.

I'm doing Arts and intend to transfer to Applied Finance after first semester. Is it possible to put such units down for second semester even though I haven't transferred to Applied Finance yet?

xJaix

HSC
Still haven't been able to find any information in regards to my above post. :(

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
You probably can, but I'd presume you'd have to talk to the academic advisor or even get a waiver signed off. Don't think the estudent system will allow it if you try to input being in an Arts degree anyway.

xJaix

HSC
Thanks. I was trying to avoid having to do my timetable at Uni for semester two. I guess it's unavoidable. :(

Tonthat

HSC
I'm enrolling on the 19th of feb and since I'm doing B Applied finance with B economics pretty much all of my first sem units are prescribed. Is there a chance any of these could be full?

xJaix

HSC
I'm confused about where to go tomorrow.

Academic advice: It is compulsory for you to attend academic advising. Attend the sessions at the times allocated to you, based on the first letter of your surname:
• Time: A – B 9.30am – 10.30am
C – F 10.30am – 11.30am
G – J 11.30am – 12.30pm
K – L 12.30pm – 1.30pm
M – Q 1.30pm – 2.30pm
R – V 2.30pm – 3.30pm
W – Z 3.30pm – 4.30pm

Economics and Applied Finance – Building E4B Room 314
Business, Demography, Marketing, International Business, Human Resource Management – Building E4B Room 316
Commerce (incl Commerce/Law) – Building E4B Room 106
Actuarial Studies – Building E4A Room 623
Statistics – Building E4A Room 523
Business Law – Building W3A Room 438
All other areas of study – Building E7B Courtyard

Since i'm doing Arts and my units are ACST 101, Stat 170, COMP 115, MKTG 101 during academic advising should I go to the economics and applied finance room OR attend all other areas of study?

thanks for helping a very confused boy! cheers.

Last edited:

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
just a heads up - down worry about the alphabetical order thingo, they dont care, so if your surname is towards the end, you can go early if you want, get it iver and done with, etc..

xJaix

HSC
Thanks for that.

I'm assuming by area of study they mean course in which case i'm doing Arts therefore I should go to all other areas of study - courtyard. I hope I don't get it wrong! lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)