enrolment (1 Viewer)

darshil

Replicant
HSC
Hi everyone,

On Wednesday we will get our offers and I am hoping I get accepted at UNSW.

I just wanted to know what the enrolment procedure will be if I get accepted and what would be some general tips to make the best of it.

My first preference is a B Commerce (which I want to combine with B Economics).

Thanks

PS: What about dates as well?

Last edited:

LordPc

HSC
you do everything online. first you deal with all of the admin type stuff like giving them your name, number, etc.

then you go onto enrollment. can take a little long if its your first time. but go to the unsw handbook and find out what courses you should be taking in 1st semester, put those into rectangles, pick a timetable and use that to guide you and things should be a lot simpler

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
Rectangles is a website/program that handles timetable arrangements. Just Google it.

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
Is there an equivalent for USyd?
Doubt it. USYD students are given out timetables by the university so you don't really get a choice in the first place.

however, you can change them on a certain day before semester 1 starts but there's no guarantees on success and heaps of other kids will try doing the same thing.

If Im not mistaken, rectangles was made by some comp sci students awhile back?

Simo91

HSC
I typed in the classes i want to do this semester, and rectangles gave me 4 days, but i shifted it around and got it to 3 days (2 are half days). Do i have to go with what rectangles gives me, or can i go with my timetable i altered?

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
I typed in the classes i want to do this semester, and rectangles gave me 4 days, but i shifted it around and got it to 3 days (2 are half days). Do i have to go with what rectangles gives me, or can i go with my timetable i altered?
Rectangles is only a guide. That's all it is. It only provides a recommended timetable for you.

For example, if you can't get into a particular class (because its full), and you base your timetable off rectangles, then your timetable gets fucked.

You can do whatever you want with your timetable. The only thing restraining the timetable itself is availability of classes and possible clashes (mostly with engineering/science kids).

Simo91

HSC
Yeh i thought i wouldn't because i've been told by many you can get it to 2-3 days a week. Unfortunately i can't shift it around enough to only have two days..looks like i'll be going for a 2 hour lecture in the morning then coming home lol.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Yeh i thought i wouldn't because i've been told by many you can get it to 2-3 days a week. Unfortunately i can't shift it around enough to only have two days..looks like i'll be going for a 2 hour lecture in the morning then coming home lol.
hahahaha no you won't

rx34

HSC
Doubt it. USYD students are given out timetables by the university so you don't really get a choice in the first place.

however, you can change them on a certain day before semester 1 starts but there's no guarantees on success and heaps of other kids will try doing the same thing.

If Im not mistaken, rectangles was made by some comp sci students awhile back?
Thanks talkkid (repped). Wow, USYD students get automated timetables by the university? Hmmm, I will definitely try and change it. I enjoy waking up at 9/10am too much.

rx34

HSC
That is dangerous. Chances are you going to skip it (unless you live on campus). My suggestion is always download the lectures and listen to it at home. It's easier if it's a micro/macro lecture than say an acct lecture.

darshil

Replicant
HSC
Thanks for the help everyone. 5 days at Uni with Rectangles (no less).

Simo91

HSC
Yeah it's ridiculous, but unfortunately i can't really change it to the days im there..i'll have to have a look if i can shift other times around, but that was the best i could get if i remember correctly.

that or i could put in another class and see how that fits, but i'll be lucky to cram it into two days.

LordPc

HSC
Rectangles is only a guide. That's all it is. It only provides a recommended timetable for you.

For example, if you can't get into a particular class (because its full), and you base your timetable off rectangles, then your timetable gets fucked.

You can do whatever you want with your timetable. The only thing restraining the timetable itself is availability of classes and possible clashes (mostly with engineering/science kids).
pretty sure that rectangles updates every day to exclude classes that are full so that this doesnt happen.

leoyh

mic`
HSC
Why don't you formulate your timetable based on the UNSW Class times for each subject that you're going to enrol in? These are far more accurate than rectangle as you can make it into however many days you want, can choose your start and finish times etc

Simo91

HSC
Why don't you formulate your timetable based on the UNSW Class times for each subject that you're going to enrol in? These are far more accurate than rectangle as you can make it into however many days you want, can choose your start and finish times etc
That's what i did..I entered the courses I wanted to do for the semester into rectangles, then I checked them against the class times and chopped and changed until I got a timetable i'm happy with.

henry08

HSC
N/A
I had a look at Rectangles, and why it looked alright, I chose my own timetable the way I anted it instead.

leoyh

mic`
HSC
That's what i did..I entered the courses I wanted to do for the semester into rectangles, then I checked them against the class times and chopped and changed until I got a timetable i'm happy with.
I meant this site
Class Search by Session

You can formulate your timetable here based on whats still available and all. Rectangles seems unreliable at times cause you can't physically pick everything

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
pretty sure that rectangles updates every day to exclude classes that are full so that this doesnt happen.
Fair enough. I've only ever used it twice anyway so I'm not incredibly familiar with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)