Entertainment Industry (1 Viewer)

refrakt

HSC
True, they sent out teacher to some training course which didnt even instill the basic industry knowledge. Personally, I think this is more of a babysitting course, when we started we had about 12 in our class and now at HSC time we have 6. Not that many to start with really. The only reason I did it was that I knew I would get the marks, so why fail at something else? Oh and apparently the BOS Advice Line doesn't have a staff member for Entertainment. Meh...

Goodluck for the exam tho everyone - whatever the random, pointless, nothing to do with the industry content.

megeggie

HSC
yeah... your right a babysitting course.
I'm coming second or third, and I don't study much.
we had about 20 at the beginning of year 11... now we have 6 or 7 i think.
i wanna get my cert 4 at tafe tho coz half the stuff i did that i thought could count towards wont... coz its stage management and i've been told it goes toward cert 4... so that is silly.
good luck all!

leeha

HSC
ents

the best thing about this course is the hands on stuff and the work placement. we had to be crew for our schools musical and we set up pa systems for events around the school. bassically we are bump in/bump out slaves but yeah

work placement is the best tho, i did it at the sydney superdome and ended up getting a job out of it so thats very rad. also having to do the senior first aid looks good on ur resume

i dont kno how the hell were gonna handle the hsc test tho. luckly i have 12 units haha

Last edited:

Parissi

HSC
DementedDonkey said:
hey i know you asked ages ago, but if you still need to know, the csu website has entertainment notes... they arent that thorough, but nothing for vet ever seems to be.. so it's better than nothing.

If you can find a library that has it

"A Phaidon Theatre Manual LIGHTING AND SOUND"
by Neil Fraser

looks good.

Its what my teachers use instead of teaching the theory part of the course. I had a look at the contents, it seems to have everything, but i havn't read it yet so im not sure how accurate it is. Revised edition was reprinted last year so im guessing its up to date.

I think its a good course, but it'll take a few years to really take off. My school just started offering Certificate III to the Yr11's this year, which is probably better suited to anyone serious about a career in the industry.

megeggie

HSC
yeah, we use phaidon stuff, its good.

it will impropve, but for now... lucky the exam was easy :D
the hands on stuff is the best... but year 12 we mainly did theory coz we did prac all of year 11 and realised we needed to do more theory lol

klufs2003

jesus lol
HSC
in regard to the question about the microphone the answer is D). I know this because it was in my preliminary exam and i got it right :D.

refrakt

HSC
klufs2003 said:
in regard to the question about the microphone the answer is D).
Yes it is, but for the 2004 HSC the BOS regarded C as the correct answer. There was no comment as to why they believed it was this answer. I just like to justify things myself...

wynnedoze

HSC
well, it would have to be d. you could have the mic turned on, but if its not connected then theres no power, whether the mic it on or off.

btw i was sooo stupid at the concert the other day...one mic wasnt working. why not? i'd taken the connection out of the board. luckily i was smart enough to check the connection first before i ran up to the stage to fix it...but i was nearly stupid. Haha, after i had been smart i laughed at the backstagers for thinking it was turned off, which i nearly fell for too...

I know I'm posting everywhere, but i'd really like to do some of this work without doing it as a VET course. I already do a little lighting and sound at school, but I'd like to do more out of school. I'm willing to even be a bump in minion or something just to learn what stuff there is that our school can't affoard. If anyone knows of somewhere in Sydney where they got work experience, please tell me.

Last edited:

EnoughTime

HSC
Yeah I do Entertainment, I love it and when i leave school i plan to go to NIDA and do the stage management course!!!

Last edited:

sufay

HSC
hey guys.. i go to st andrews college whcih is in blacktown area, i also do entertainment as one of my subjects.
this is one of the best subjects out.
i have learnt lots and hope to do event managment in the future.
any advice to persue my dream??

thnx
suzie

jessal

HSC
sufay said:
hey guys.. i go to st andrews college whcih is in blacktown area, i also do entertainment as one of my subjects.

thnx
suzie
i have an idea . study event management after your HSC

sufay

HSC
but there isnt any cources directly for event managment..
if theer is i havnt found them..
can i please get some info?

sufay

HSC
wynnedoze said:
well, it would have to be d. you could have the mic turned on, but if its not connected then theres no power, whether the mic it on or off.

btw i was sooo stupid at the concert the other day...one mic wasnt working. why not? i'd taken the connection out of the board. luckily i was smart enough to check the connection first before i ran up to the stage to fix it...but i was nearly stupid. Haha, after i had been smart i laughed at the backstagers for thinking it was turned off, which i nearly fell for too...

I know I'm posting everywhere, but i'd really like to do some of this work without doing it as a VET course. I already do a little lighting and sound at school, but I'd like to do more out of school. I'm willing to even be a bump in minion or something just to learn what stuff there is that our school can't affoard. If anyone knows of somewhere in Sydney where they got work experience, please tell me.

try calling up the sydney theatre company or even LOTS OF WATTS.. in Rydlmere.. they are a heaps good place.. just yer google their website...
its a travel but i recon worth it

Last edited:

naomi c

HSC
sufay said:

thnx
suzie
I do Entertainment in the Blue Mountains (Springwood). I wanted to go to the Entertainment SWL lecture at St Andrew's this week but couldn't make it. Do you know what kind of stuff it covered? I really need some other perspectives especially on the exam and stuff cos our teacher is not exactly what you'd call experienced!!

naomi c

HSC
sufay said:
but there isnt any cources directly for event managment..
if theer is i havnt found them..
can i please get some info?
I know there are event management courses around cos my friend is planning to study event management and has found herself a course. I think they're mostly like one year courses rather than degree type courses. I think there is a Diploma in Event Management at TAFE and other courses at private institutions like JMC. Try ACS as well. I'll ask around, but in the meantime, google 'event management courses' or something similar and I'm sure it will turn some thing up for you.
Best of luck!!

g.hickey

HSC
for event managment i know Julius Events College
have some good courses.
Im lucky enough, as in our school has a large and good setup. every second wendsday a couple of us
Practice with 6 mac 250, 2x profiles and 4x washes and a Maxim xlp lighting desk. We do alot of work in the local area.

ashleighkyla

HSC
entertainment is a bludge.

i got my work placement hours up for the 2 years in one lot. i did 90hrs working on a show in newcastle. it was awesome:)

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
Entertainment has got to be the crappest subject designed for deabeats, bludgers and losers without half a brain between them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)