Entertainment (1 Viewer)

lockedbox

HSC
Is everyone psyched for the ento exam next week? me niether, I haven't even done any of my 3 exams yet and I just want sleep, I can't imagine what I'll feel like come friday.

What do you guys thing the extended response is going to be on? OH&S, communication, roles and responsibilities? The short answers should be easy as though so it isn't really important in the scheme of things but I'm not sure what to practice for, or if ill have the energy come saturday :/

bouncingfire

HSC
I'm hoping its got more practical stuff in it, i'm sick of doing extended responses on OHS

TheChairman

HSC
I got 100% on my Trial and that was mostly on roles and responsibilities, both extended questions I did were on that, so thats what I am hoping for. I might do some light study for this subject, but Physics and Modern History are much more important.

From past HSC's, there is a trend towards having OH&S questions as the high mark sections of short response, and then Roles and Responsibilities for extended response. You might as well just prepare for all stuff though really, it is not much content at all.

bouncingfire

HSC
Anyone got any tips for writing the extended response? I have never been able to get above 12/15.

TheChairman

HSC
1. Write about 2-3 pages on each question
2. Structure
-Brief intro outlining points or ideas
-explanation of point 1
-explanation of point 2
conclusion stating how points link to question

3. Make detailed references to real world situations using correct terminology, ergo provide examples
4. Make your writing clear and take your time, this exam shouldn't take long so take your time in the extended response section to ensure you cover all ideas relevant to the question

These points of course depend on the question, but they cover most questions. Specific questions like explaining how you would set up for a specific scenario should just be detailed in a chronological manner explaining completely every step of the process. These questions however are not as common.

bouncingfire

HSC
1. Write about 2-3 pages on each question
2. Structure
-Brief intro outlining points or ideas
-explanation of point 1
-explanation of point 2
conclusion stating how points link to question

3. Make detailed references to real world situations using correct terminology, ergo provide examples
4. Make your writing clear and take your time, this exam shouldn't take long so take your time in the extended response section to ensure you cover all ideas relevant to the question

These points of course depend on the question, but they cover most questions. Specific questions like explaining how you would set up for a specific scenario should just be detailed in a chronological manner explaining completely every step of the process. These questions however are not as common.
Thanks

I was wondering if this is like business studies were you can gain top mark for remembering the syllabus word for word? I have quite a firm understanding of the practical components through practical work. It's just the other modules which I understand I just dont think I could give a band 6 response.
- Communicate in the workplace
- Participate in OHS processes
- Manage own work and learning
- Work with others
- Provide quality service to customers
- Deal with conflict and resolve complaints

TBH most of the content is in business studies and in IT Vet which I have already done however is there an effective way for studying for these modules? At the moment I'm just looking at HSC online.

TheChairman

HSC
HSC online is effective study, that site provides quality information about each specific module. It's how I am doing my study at the moment.

As with any test, I would also do some past papers to familiarize yourself with the ways in which they ask certain questions, but that should be standard practice.

You can answer most modules by just breaking it down to common sense, even dealing with conflict and complaint can be taken down to that level. But you do need specific things to answer questions on things like "What is an Award" or "Between what two bodies is an enterprise agreement forged".

You can get a band 6 response by just addressing all aspects that come under the question. If its on communication, address barriers to communication, the effectiveness of all facets of verbal and non-verbal communication, the appropriate communication method for the given situation and the importance of individual differences. Just break down each module into its key areas and work off of that.

bouncingfire

HSC
I have been working on past papers and like you said its good way to familiarize.

One gripe I have about this course is the multiple choice questions. I have been working through some of the questions and I find a range of them are subjective.

Both of these refer to the definition of an internal client. I work in the industry and the answers to these questions is not something which I gathered to be correct.

In the first question I would not have thought B would be correct as typically a set designer will work as part of the production and in some instances be on the same payroll as the rest of the production. Even if the set designer was a contractor I would have thought the theater directer would in fact be the client rather than the other way around. The set designer is selling his/her skills and expertise and the production would be paying them meaning the theater production would be the client?

In the second example the correct answer is Venue manager, once again I would consider this the other way round with the promoter being the client as they are using the venues services.

Last edited:

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Internal customer is a pretty dodgy term, and I really don't think (at least from my experience) it's used much as industry terminology. Venue Manager makes sense for the second one, but I would have said either B or D for the first. Media, hirers and audience are normally considered external, but again, the wording is pretty bad.

bouncingfire

HSC
This is my perspective. I work for a crewing company and I get called out to venues by different clients(hire companies normally) for bumpins, bumpouts etc.

We consider the hire company the client(customer) as they are hiring the crew, we are not on there payroll and a invoice is paid for our services. Like wise the hire company can call the event orgainiser the client(customer) as the promoter is hiring the hire company to supply the equipment. Going even further you would then call the promoter the client of the venue.

TheChairman

HSC
Yeah these questions clearly have a conflict. The only way I can explain it is that Venue management and Venue manager are technically two different things. Venue management implies possibly an external entity that oversees venue operations. Venue manager can imply someone within the crew.

As for the first question, the Set designer is clearly the internal customer, whilst they may be contractors, they are working for and with the production company.

You may have to just drop the personal experiences with who is client and who is customer and simplify it down to defining "How are these people related to the production company" if they would be part of the cast and immediate crew, internal, if they represent outside authorities, external. Venue staff are however a really tricky example of this as they can really be either.

bouncingfire

HSC
After reading the specific section on HSC online i now sort of see how it works.

Another thing is signal flow diagrams. Is there a proper way to draw these as I cant find any examples on hsconline. Is it correct so long as all of the devices, connecters and direction of the single flow is correctly labeled?

Last edited:

bouncingfire

HSC
I thought it easy apart from a couple of a multiple choice. Short answers and extended responses were straight forward.

Q9. I was tossing up between ARPA and Live performance australia. I choose live performance as i thought APRA focuses more on copyright rather than the whole perspective

bouncingfire

HSC
I got
1b
2c
3d
4a
5a
6c
7a
8c
9c
10d
11a
12b
13a
14d
15b

The ones in bold im not sure about

TheChairman

HSC
That was easier than the trial I got 100 on. A complete joke of a test hahaha.

Clarky13

HSC
The only question that stumped me was the very last. Took me at least five minute of writing for me to actually get what it meant.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)