Enzyme Prac Help! (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hi, I have been given a prac test on enzymes - to test carry out an investigation ton the effect of temperature on the action of the enzyme renin, in which I'm required to write up a practical report.
the aim I've devised is: To demonstrate the effect of temperature on the action of the Enzyme Renin.
Would anyone be able to explain to me how to write a hypothesis and a discussion?
Also, does anyone know where I might be able to find info on the action of renin, where its found naturally , its uses by man & the opitmal conditions for the enzyme to funciton. (I haven't been able to find much on the net)

ichiraku

HSC
I suppose for this experiment, the hypothesis could be: Increase/decreases in temperature would slow down the activity of the Enzyme Renin.

For the discussion you would need to talk about the reliability and validity of the experiment - i.e. To repeat the experiment; Use equal amounts of renin; etc. Also you could talk about how the enzyme is most effective at 37 C( optimum temperature) and became less effective as temperature ecame higher or lower. If you tested the enzyme at 100 degress C / in boiling water, you would have to say that the enzyme denatured and thus was unable to funciton. Also mention that if you tested the renin at a very low temperature (5-10), it was not denatured, but the rate of reaction slowed down.

I'm not sure about the uses of renin by man though, as I used liver tissue in the experiment. Hope it helps =]

white_spazzy

but why?
HSC
grovy_girl11000 said:
Would anyone be able to explain to me how to write a hypothesis and a discussion?
Also, does anyone know where I might be able to find info on the action of renin, where its found naturally , its uses by man & the opitmal conditions for the enzyme to funciton. (I haven't been able to find much on the net)
okay to write a hypothesis, you need to basically state in one sentence what you think will happen in the experiment...i think..like ' as the enzyme reaches its optimum temperature the enzyme will reach its optimum efficiency after this the enzyme will denature' im not sure how right that is

and for the discussion section maybe talk about the role of enzymes, the maintainance of optimal efficiency, the importance of optimum efficiency, homeostasis etc.

hope that helps

Last edited:

Loz_metalhead

HSC
I have the exact same assignment...I have to choose an enzyme though. Where can I find a method?

white_spazzy

but why?
HSC
Background info:
--Rennin is an enzymes secreted by the walls of the stomach
--It acts on the milk protein casein causing it to clump into a semi-solid curd
--the enzyme is readily available in the form of junket tablets

Requirements: 8 water baths
8 thermometers
Crushed ice
Bunsen Burners
2 Graduated pipettes (10ml)
Milk (60ml)
Marking pen
Small beaker
Spoon
Distilled water (10ml)
16 CLEAN test tubes
1 junket tablet
1 eye dropper
Stop watch
Graph paper

Procedure:
1. Prep 8 half filled water baths at tmeps within 3 degrees of 10C, 20,30,40,50,60,70 and 80 degrees, by mixing appropriate amounts of tap water, boiling water or ice. Carefully maintain these temps throughout the experiment. 70&80 degree baths will have to be maintained by a bunsen burner.

2. using the graduated pipette place 3ml of milk in each one of the 16 test tubes. Put two of the test tubes in each water bath. Labelling one A and the other B.

3. While the milk is raching the temperature of the respective water baths, crush the junket tablet with a spoon in 10ml of distilled water in a small beaker.

4. working quickly, add three drops of the junket solution into each of the test tubes marked A. shake each test tube to ensure that the contents are mixed, and return to the water bath.

5. IMMEDIATELY record the time.

6. examine the test tubes by tilting gently; DO NOT SHAKE!!

7. Do this every minute for the next ten minutes or until the clotting occurs.

8. Record the time that it takes for each test tube A to set.

well i hope that helps

Loz_metalhead

HSC
Do you think I could do amylase? its in saliva and breaks down starch I think...

white_spazzy

but why?
HSC
yeha i am sure you could use it but you would just have to find an experiment, or even design one yourself. if you do design your own, make sure that you can show all the important features. (eg-Reliability of results)

Loz_metalhead

HSC
Yeh, we have a marking guideline. I hope I can find an experiment.

rihanna91

HSC
Hi,

Im doing this same experiment and just wanted to know... is there an actual reason as to why room temperature is the optimum temperature for renin?? or enzyme activity??

HSC
rihanna91 said:
Hi,

Im doing this same experiment and just wanted to know... is there an actual reason as to why room temperature is the optimum temperature for renin?? or enzyme activity??
i did this experiment in class, we tested it at a high temperature and low temperature, and room temperature. apparently the latter is optimum for enzyme function because it's the closest to the temperature of the human body, where it's naturally found in the stomach of newborns (they need it to separate the liquids and solids).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)