Epic decision needs epic help. (1 Viewer)

Wants2bDr

HSC
N/A
Split between Law at Australian National University and Law/Science at Macquarie university.

Any thought would be appreciated :D

enoilgam

HSC
Split between Law at Australian National University and Law/Science at Macquarie university.

Any thought would be appreciated :D
Obviously, you would have to move out to go to one of those unis, so financial stuff would be a key consideration.

Chazure

HSC
Uni Grad
Spent the last two years at ANU myself.

If you're moving interstate to live on campus at ANU, you'll probably be in for a damn good time regardless of what course you do there. All of the residential communities are pretty awesome and the on campus lifestyle enables you to be "immersed" in the university experience.

On the more academic side of things, the many people l know that are studying law at ANU are overall fairly satisfied with the teaching. This is amplified by some factor if you want to study international relations as your non-law component and want to focus on international law in your law component. If this was your interest, there probably isn't a better course in the country, including USYD/UNSW (debatable but you get my point). But generally for the average person I've observed, the range of happiness concerning law school has huge variance and is normally not dependent on what school they we're doing it at but rather how compatible they were with the study of law itself (did they really want to do law in the first place?).

Reputation/prestige wise, ANU would be clearly higher than Macquarie. However, l don't think this should strictly dominate your decision. Even if Macquarie isn't as prestigious as ANU, l think it makes up for it with it's location within Sydney and therefore a greater exposure to firms and potential for relevant part time work than Canberra.

You are correct that this a difficult decision. I guess my point is that you can have faith that if you have a strong interest in law, all else being equal (like the aforementioned living considerations etc.), than your experience at either law school will be great. Good luck, and congrats on receiving both offers! You're already doing better than me two years ago ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)