Epidemiological study (1 Viewer)

its_ace21

/æɪs/
HSC
Can someone please explain case-control and cohort I always get mixed up between them and in exams I'll start with one and finish with the other (and i never know when to use which one) 😭 😭

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
Can someone please explain case-control and cohort I always get mixed up between them and in exams I'll start with one and finish with the other (and i never know when to use which one) 😭 😭
case control is when you have two groups:
- the case has the disease
- the control does not
it's a type of analytical study where u compare those with the disease with those who don't to look for differences in exposure to the possible causes of the disease (like can certain factors in common have led to the disease? etc). the mnemonic I use is case control - A and O are diff (thus reflecting the two groups differ by whether they have the disease)

cohort is another type of analytical study but you study 2 (or more) groups and all of them don't have the disease at first -> study them over a long time -> then compare the incidence of the disease at the end of the time period. the reason for doing this is to compare them at the end and evaluate their exposure to a potential cause in relation to developing the disease
mnemonic would be cohort study - O O are the same = groups are the same at the start

its_ace21

/æɪs/
HSC
case control is when you have two groups:
- the case has the disease
- the control does not
it's a type of analytical study where u compare those with the disease with those who don't to look for differences in exposure to the possible causes of the disease (like can certain factors in common have led to the disease? etc). the mnemonic I use is case control - A and O are diff (thus reflecting the two groups differ by whether they have the disease)

cohort is another type of analytical study but you study 2 (or more) groups and all of them don't have the disease at first -> study them over a long time -> then compare the incidence of the disease at the end of the time period. the reason for doing this is to compare them at the end and evaluate their exposure to a potential cause in relation to developing the disease
mnemonic would be cohort study - O O are the same = groups are the same at the start
ok so case control is used to find the cause?

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
ok so case control is used to find the cause?
they're both analytical studies which have the overall aim of establishing links between exposure to a certain factor to a disease. with case control there is a bigger emphasis on exposure (not really cause, but just examining the connections and potential relations between them and the incidence/prevalence of a disease)

its_ace21

/æɪs/
HSC
ok so if I get a question where it says the cause of a disease, and the question asks for the "hypothetical link between (cause) and (disease)", would both of them work

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
ok so if I get a question where it says the cause of a disease, and the question asks for the "hypothetical link between (cause) and (disease)", would both of them work
they'd give u more details about the disease and its emergence than just asking for the hypothetical link (eg. place, demographics seemingly most affected, etc, and stuff like what are u as an epidemiologist aiming to do). u'd have to make a conclusion on which is the more appropriate one to use

its_ace21

/æɪs/
HSC
they'd give u more details about the disease and its emergence than just asking for the hypothetical link (eg. place, demographics seemingly most affected, etc, and stuff like what are u as an epidemiologist aiming to do). u'd have to make a conclusion on which is the more appropriate one to use
ok tysmm

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
Both cohort and case-control studies are observational studies.
Cohort studies can be either prospective (as described by Masaken) or retrospective.
In case-control studies, the demographic details of the controls are matched to the cases as closely as possible (age, gender, +/- ethnicity, socioeconomic factors etc), whereas cohort studies are generally large sample sizes and these characteristics are usually noted & described, but not matched. This link is to a useful article explaining various study designs: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2998589/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)