epigraphs and intertextualitly/references/allusions (: (1 Viewer)

adorkkable

HSC
so, i'm appropriating a tennyson poem and have decided to cut down on the amount of writing i need to do by stealing a fair chunk of his :D

from the poem i'm appropriating (the lady of shalott, if anyone cares), i'm using 4 stanzas as epigraphs for each of my sections (4 in total, not... 4 per section), totalling about 20% of the poem, and then using one stanza from "the splendour falls", which is only 3 stanzas long, totalling about 33.33% of the poem.

am i violating any copyright laws here? or is it alright, seeing as mr tennyson here has been dead for a while? (and because i'm giving him credit, in a very very roundabout way?)

and this is a short story too, if it's important.
thankyouverymuchlies in advance :)

MetalTheory

HSC
Uni Grad
Even though I'm only judging from the criteria of films, since the major work is only viewed privately to most of the times one person, copyright shouldn't be a worry. I'm sure that this idea can also be adapted to short stories and any other media of major works. If you ask me, drawing allusions to other writers will show the marker that you understand the English syllabus and that you can synthesise other writers' ideas with your own.

That is, I'm not doing a film. That's only what I heard from a classmate who's doing one but it should be the same with each form of major work.

Arceupins

Banned
HSC
You are a useless wanker.

Appropriation is misappropriation. It can never be a good thing.

adorkkable

HSC
thank you, arceupins, for that very helpful advice. i'm sure one day, calling someone a useless wanker will actually make them more likely to listen to you. until then, have fun with your troll ways :)

anyway, i looked it up myself, and since the poems are in the public domain, i'm free to quote as much as i like. score :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)