• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Equal 1st... what about HSC? (1 Viewer)

HSC
I came equal first in ESL with my friend. And now I know how our subject mark is determined (50% assess. 50% HSC etc.) I'm wondering if I come first in ESL in HSC, do I have to share my mark with her, meaning... ave. my HSC mark with hers?

Riviet

HSC
N/A
MoonLiteDreamz said:
I came equal first in ESL with my friend. And now I know how our subject mark is determined (50% assess. 50% HSC etc.) I'm wondering if I come first in ESL in HSC, do I have to share my mark with her, meaning... ave. my HSC mark with hers?
I'm pretty sure you don't, unless she happens to get the same raw mark as you in the HSC.

edit: actually I'm not so sure... :p

Sprinkles~

splashing in puddles
HSC
I'm not 100% certain (so don't quote me on it!) but I think this is how it works.

Since you both came equal first for your assessment rank, you'll both recieve the same assessment mark (which would be the top exam mark out of the ESL students at your school - think think).

The other 50% of your HSC will be made up of your own performance in the HSC exam. So you'll recieve your mark, she'll recieve hers. You dont have to average it with her or anything :p

HSC
ah I see. So my friend and I will only benefit from this equal 1st position.

You see, my teacher miscalculated my trial mark, gave me 1 mark less than I deserve. I'm happy to share the top mark with her in HSC, but I was afraid we might have to ave. both our HSC mark for our assessment mark, which I'd feel cheated by... *cough*

klaw

HSC
I'm pretty sure that you're both gonna get the average of the two highest external HSC marks from your school as your internal mark. It shouldn't affect much unless there's a big difference between top 2 marks.

HSC
... So ur saying I would be better of being 1st myself. other wise, I have to average the mark with the other person?

And *if* I were to tell my school about the error, do you think I can still change the rank at this time?

Last edited:

Asheroth

Paranoid Android
HSC
I think it's still possible but requests and things have to be sent in to the Board of Studies, since ranks and marks have all been submitted by now.

That's right, I'm posting while everyone's doing Paper 2. Muhahaha.

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
Like sprinkles said.. you will recieve the same assessment mark but depending on what you get in the hsc will depend on your hsc mark.. i was ranked 3rd in cafs for my hsc but stuffed up my exam.. the girl who got 4th did well in her exam and got a band 6 while i only got a band 5..
Only your assessment mark is affected by the others in your school.. your hsc mark is only affected by you.

Steve Mate

HSC
Remember we don't see the actual final rankings. They are manipulated a bit more by the BOS taking into account z scores and standard deviations within individual tasks. So you mightnot actually be equal when it comes down it

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
klaw said:
I'm pretty sure that you're both gonna get the average of the two highest external HSC marks from your school as your internal mark. It shouldn't affect much unless there's a big difference between top 2 marks.
This is correct.

MoonLiteDreamz said:
... So ur saying I would be better of being 1st myself. other wise, I have to average the mark with the other person?
Yes.

MoonLiteDreamz said:
And *if* I were to tell my school about the error, do you think I can still change the rank at this time?
Yes.

The deadline is 20 November 2006 (source). You should discuss the matter with your principal.

Steve Mate said:
Remember we don't see the actual final rankings. They are manipulated a bit more by the BOS taking into account z scores and standard deviations within individual tasks. So you mightnot actually be equal when it comes down it
This is not true.

Your school submits only the total internal assessment mark for each student, and not the marks for individual tasks. It is up to your school to standardise the marks for each task where necessary.

More relevantly, your school is obliged to provide you with a rank order notice so that you can ask for any discrepancies to be reviewed before marks are submitted. (Your school is not obliged to provide you with the actual final marks, but is also not prohibited from doing so.)

If the relevant review panel at your school confirms the original assessment mark, but you feel that the process by which that panel conducted the review was inadequate in some way, you can notify your principal that you wish to appeal to the Board.

Last edited:

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC
Lazarus said:
More relevantly, your school is obliged to provide you with a rank order notice so that you can ask for any discrepancies to be reviewed before marks are submitted.
hmm well our new principal refuses to give us our final rankings much to the protest of many teachers. If there are errors when rankings are released on that studentsonline website then we have no way of knowing.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
There seems to be one of these principals every year.

Section 22 of the Board's official Rules and Procedures for 2006 HSC Candidates provides (p16):

22. Assessment ranking appeals

(i) After the final HSC examination, you can obtain your rank order for assessment
in each course via Students Online or from your school. If you feel that your
placement in any course is not correct, you should talk to your teacher and you
may apply to your principal for a review/appeal.
Just show that to your principal and he or she should relent immediately.

HSC
Ugh. Forget it. I've asked my teacher about it, and she refused to do anything about it. She even mocked me for asking... " Your english paper 2 is on for another 2 hrs and ur here to ask for only an extra one mark?!"

Ugh. She doesn't understand how important it is to me. I could miss out my fav course because of this extra mark... But.. Never mind. lol.

Thanks u all for the info tho.

klaw

HSC
MoonLiteDreamz said:
Ugh. Forget it. I've asked my teacher about it, and she refused to do anything about it. She even mocked me for asking... " Your english paper 2 is on for another 2 hrs and ur here to ask for only an extra one mark?!"

Ugh. She doesn't understand how important it is to me. I could miss out my fav course because of this extra mark... But.. Never mind. lol.

Thanks u all for the info tho.
Your teacher has said nothing wrong. You were stressing about ranks instead of concentrating on your paper 2 exam 2 hrs before your actual exam. Like I said, it shouldn't make much of a difference unless the top two marks are considerably different. If you two received very similar internal marks then is it not fair to assume that you two will get similar marks in the externals? It's much more likely that you'll miss out on your course because you're stressing over these ranks instead of concentrating on preparing for the externals than because of 1-2 marks in your english mark.

HSC
I get what you mean klaw. But when you get desperate, you really "get" desperate. lol. I shouldn't have asked her, but I asked her anyway hoping I just *might* get that extra mark.

I read all those posts about equal first and then the other person dragging their marks down... I just don't want to be another one of them especially when I had the chance to change this situation.

I have done so many things I regret, and I just don't want this one mark, ruining the rest of my life; when I can help change it. You know what I mean?

p.s. and the only reason I asked her 2 hrs before the exam is because I don't want to ask for it after the exam, as she might think I only wanted the extra mark because I might've stuffed up my HSC, which is not the case.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)