• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Equation of intersector through two lines. (1 Viewer)

DJel

HSC
I'm probably just missing something really obvious but I'm just getting stuck on it.
The question: Find the equation of the straight line with gradient of 3 that passes through the intersection of the lines 2x+y-1=0 and 3x+5y+16=0. Using (a1x+b1y+c1) + k(a2x+b2y+c2) where k is a constant.

I have tried finding the point of intersection of the two given lines and then just continuing the formula on as normal and using the gradient as the constant. Please give me a push in the right direction.

Thanks,

DJel.

Bank$

HSC
DJel said:
I have tried finding the point of intersection of the two given lines and then just continuing the formula on as normal and using the gradient as the constant. Please give me a push in the right direction.
I dont seem to understand what u have done :s here are my solutions

hope this helps,
Justin

DJel

HSC
Thanks heaps for that, just wasn't thinking straight I guess.

"(I have tried finding the point of intersection of the two given lines and then just continuing the formula on as normal) (and using the gradient as the constant)" As in two different methods not using the POI and gradient at the same time.

Thanks once again,

DJel.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)