• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Equilibrium (1 Viewer)

Kukudas

HSC > WOW
HSC
i just finish studying equilibrium..

i am not very smart so.. yeah i had difficult time at school >o<

Favours forward reaction? Favours reverse reaction? wat does this mean -_-;;

Any1 have simple notes or can help? about
temperature-vapour pressure
endothermic and ectothermic
concentration
change in colour
shifting left or shifiting right
relating to equilibrium??

i need help!

Nakashima

We GLAMOROUS
HSC
First of all, Le Chatelier's Principle states that when a system at equilibrium is disturbed, the system will adjust itself to minimise the changes.

"Favours forward reaction" means that when equilibrium is reached, the concentration of products will be higher than the concentration of reagents.

"Favours reverse reaction" means that when equilibtium is reached, the concentration of reagents will be higher than the concentration of products.

Temperature

Say the reaction is A + B
C + D, and the forward reaction is exothermic.

This can be rewritten as A + B
C + D + heat, i.e. heat is another product.

When the system is at equilibrium and the temperature is increased, heat is added. The equilibrium is hence disturbed and the only way to re-establish equilibrium conditions is to get rid of the heat.

You can see that C + D + heat
A + B (same equation written backwards), which means to get rid of the excess heat, C will need to react with D and form A and B. This increases the concentration of A and B, and decreases the concentration of C and D - the equilibrium has shifted to the left.

Pressure

Say the reaction is 2E + F
4G, with all reagents and products being gaseous.

You should know that one mole of any gas has a specific volume at standard conditions. This means regardless of which gases are present, the more moles of gas there are, the more volume they occupy.

On the left side of the equation there are 3 moles of gas (2E + F) and on the right side there are 4 (4G).

If we increase the pressure (i.e. decrease volume), the gases become a little more cramped. The equilibrium has been disturbed. To re-establish the equilibrium the gases will need to "uncramp" themselves.

Written backwards, 4G
2E + F. So 4 moles of gas can convert itself to 3 moles of gas if the reaction proceeds backwards. This reduces the effect the decrease in volume has upon the equilibrium. So the equilibrium shifts to the left.

I hope that helped a bit, it does take awhile to understand equilibrium but you'll definitely get it sooner or later.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Think of equilibrium as like a point of balance based on its definition. For example
CO<sub>2</sub> + H<sub>2</sub>) ---> H<sub>2</sub>CO<sub>3</sub>

If we increase concentration of carbon dioxide then according to Le Chatelier's principle, the equilbrium will try to minimise that effect. A useful way to think of it is that when we increase concentration of carbon dioxide, the 'balance' is disrupted (i.e. it becomes unbalanced) so everything has to even out so that it everything is balanced once again. Since we now have too much carbon dioxide compared to the original 'balance', this excess carbon dioxide produces more carbonic acid thus in effect attempting to decrease the amount of carbon dioxide (because there is an excess). So we say the equilibrium shifts right because it becomes 'balanced' at a restored equilibrium when more carbonic acid is produced as the excess carbon dioxide is used up before equilibrium is restored.

Kukudas

HSC > WOW
HSC
Thx!! for help!!!
it helped me understand the theory (?) of equilibrium..
i apply this to the rules now ^^

thx thx

sparkie1108

HSC
haha we just did this stuff in chem this week..
ive got no clue either but hopefully i will soon..
hate it when stuff doesnt click straight off!!

cheers for the tips

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)