ER questions pleez help (test coming up!!) (1 Viewer)

chocomania

HSC
hey im kinda confused with this whole thing, can anyone please explian:

- why an exchange rate can move in the opposite direction to the Trade Weight Index?
- the impact on Australia's Balance of Payments by the decline in the TWI.

thank youu :)

redom

HSC
woww! im answering eco questions again lol...its been a while

1) The exchange rate is simply one currency in terms of another, whereas the TWI is a measure of a countries currency value against a number of other currencies weighted according to trading importance. So although one countrie's currency may depreciate against another, it may indeed appreciate when compared to a NUMBER of other currencies. Hmm its all just 'relative' (sounds like physics lol).

haha i think this question has been in the HSC before, i remember answering it quite recently!

as for the second question...im getting lazy:) haha

goodluck!(y)

chocomania

HSC
anyone for the 2nd question??

also, does anyone know where i can find recent stats on the BOP, ER etc? any site that is relavent coz most sites blab on a lot about the unrelated...

williamc

HSC
2) the impact on Australia's Balance of Payments by the decline in the TWI.

Ok so the TWI is declining, thus on a general whole, the Australian dollar is depreciating against it's trading partners. A depreciating Australian dollar will ensure that Australia will export more and import less. To explain, if a pair of Australian shoes are worth A$100 and say US$120 originally, but the Australian dollar depreciates, thus that same pair of shoes is worth less than $120 US. Therefore, Australia is more internationally competitive as it goods will be cheaper for overseas importers.

More exports, Less exports = Lower BOGS deficit on the CAD (affecting BOP)

Although on the other side, a depreciating Australian dollar will ensure that foreign net capital inflow will decrease. Theoretically , international investors MAY start to lose confidence in the Australian dollar (if this depreciation is rapid) and therefore the Australian dollar could collapse, crippling the economy. Therefore affecting the BOP.

Thinking deeper, a depcreciating Australian dollar could increase foreign net capital inflow. One as it is cheaper, the other because as a flow on effect the RBA has been known to use monetary policy to warden any rapid movements of the Australian dollar. Increasing interest rates to combat a falling Aussie dollar would increase Foreign investment as higher gains can be made on capital outlays. Therefore, loans from australians to these international investors must be made, worsening the Net Income component of the CAD, therefore affecting the BOP.

Go on the ABS website for BOP stats.

redom

HSC
Ahh i remember the leading edge update thingis were really really helpfull especially about bop and the cad! my school handed them out to me, but i think u can buy them from the l.e company

....i guess the more general reading u do about economic issues the better your understanding and essay writing ability gets!

goodluck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)